Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Repairing annodising?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Purely for aesthetic reasons I have a hope eternal seat post with moderate wear of the anodising , bottom 1/3. Is there any after market method DIY or commercial method of touching up apart from my old trick of a permanent marker (not permanent on metal 😉 )

wwaswas

buy a bigger frame so there’s more post in the seat tube 🙂

JAG

Foxy – short answer is No (if you’re sure it’s anodising of course)

Anodising is not a paint but a deliberate layer of oxidisation (like rust) built up on Aluminium parts to provide protection or a pretty coloured finish.

bigyinn
    Free Member

OHP permanent marker pen??

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeah tried the OHP but scratches off but will suffice for now 🙂

Yes JAG anodising – was just asking if anyone had used something in replacement for reanodising something 🙂

Almost tempted to touch up with Airfix enamel 🙂 or light dusting of car body spray paint 🙂

@WW doing that but its got a short seat tube in the design – x’s fingers 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Foxyrider – there is a place in Newton Abbot (not far from you) that does anodising and they might throw it in the barrel with something else to get the colour back?

Teign Metal Refinishers – I think that is what they are called?

They have done a few bits for me in the past (inc. a complete frame) – and they are VERY good?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I was just reading about the same issue on Retrobike – nail varnish is apparently very good, but i doubt it’s all that durable. You do get the added bonus of applying it to your fingernails too though.

Anyway, why are you so worried about a little bit of a wear mark on a seatpost? A bike is meant to be ridden/wear out, just see it as a sign that it is being used as it should. I reckon bikes look better with scuffs on, just like trainers. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

@ltheisinger – thanks for that – would have to anodise 1/2 the post as it has got etched writing/logo 1/2 way up 🙂

@GG – purely for build photos for a mag 🙂 Wouldn’t care otherwise 🙂 may try the nail varnish 🙂 (on the post ; )

takisawa2

stevetheanodiser off here is your man. He stripped the black anodising off some of my parts, & re-anodised them red. The Hope seat clamp came back with the logo still visible, albeit in red. There was a post last week. Your laser etched logo would go black but I guess you could just te-colour it back in white.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Fair enough foxy, let us know how you get on!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Repairing annodising?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM