Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing silicon/sealant from brick walls
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

We’ve took down our ropey old conservatory and have now been left with silicon sealant and expanding foam on the walls.

Any hints or tips on removing it from the bricks please.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Silicon sealant remover, get it in screwfix.

Or a 4″ angle grinder with a steel brush wheel, go gently.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you do use the remover stuff then scrape off what you can first. No point wasting the goo if it comes off easily. Just use the remover on the remainder. A stanley blade is good for slicing it off, use it kind of like a razor and get as close as possible to the surface..

nuke

I used the sealant remove from Toolstation ( https://www.toolstation.com/soudal-silicone-remover/p75719 ) last week whilst removing sealant from around the bath….it works, sort of, but you have to put the graft in first reducing the sealant present to a minimum

spawnofyorkshire

Scrape and cut off as much as you can. WD40 works on silicone too

baldiebenty
    Free Member

We’ve just done something very similar, used a knife and scraper to remove the worst of it.

Then a wire-brush type attachment on an electric drill to clean off the rest, left some marks on the brick work from the brush but if the missus is happy with the result, then I am.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

I’ve looked at the sealant removers suggested and they both say they are not suitable for brick.

Will try the knife and flapper wheel idea.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you’re using a wire brush or flapper wheel, I would try it on a bit of redundant brick first. Bricks vary in hardness and texture, on some types might be be just about acceptable, on others it will be an eyesore for ever.

jeffl

Nothing to add other than I like your outdoor electrical socket protection 😄

hooli

Wire brush attachment for a drill and a pressure washer should do the trick.

renton
    Free Member

Nothing to add other than I like your outdoor electrical socket protection 😄

Already sorted 😂

jairaj

“Scrape and cut off as much as you can. WD40 works on silicone too”

I’m about to tackle my bathroom and searched the web for this and a few people saying WD40 works well for removing silicone sealant. I would have though it should be safe to spray on the bricks?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing silicon/sealant from brick walls’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM