Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing Fox Float RP23 from Orange Five
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Thought I'd stick this question in a new thread, in case it catches anyone else's eye. I know it's getting late!

Trying to more the rear shock, I've let all the air out, cracked the air can, and removed the four bolts, but can't see how it comes away from the frame. Is there another step I'm missing, or should it just lift out?

Thanks,

R

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

yep it should just lift out. might be stiff if it's not been moved for a while.
    try levering either end upward with a cloth-wrapped screwdriver.

robinbetts
    Free Member

I've tried the cloth-wrapped screwdriver, no luck. What I don't understand is the thread that the bolts screw into, goes from the outer edge of the mounting plates right into the centre of the shock, suggesting that there is something bridging between the frame and the shock that's stopping it coming out. But if that's the case, how did it get in?

travellingman
    Free Member

The most likely scenario is a threaded 'sleeve' or pivot which runs through the shock's mounting boss and allows it to be threaded from each side of the frame.
    What about allowing the frame some movement by changing it's position? Move the swinging arm a little. That ought to do it!

robinbetts
    Free Member

If there is a threaded sleeve (that's what it looks like), does that need to be removed? How?

Thanks!

travellingman
    Free Member

The pivot should come away with the shock as it's removed from the frame.

Without resorting to a screwdriver, allowing the swinging arm to 'drop' (if it's currently supported) should get some movement going. It's hard from a distance and not knowing the set up but you'll probably find all that's holding in place is a build up of crap!

If all else fails walk away. Sleep on it and if still stumped, give Orange a call.

Best of luck…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If there's a sleeve in there then replace the bolt and then unscrew it a couple of turns. Give it some love with a mallet to unseat the sleeve and a little wiggling should free it.

votchy
    Free Member

Threaded sleeve and 2 bolts, undo bolts and only remove one of them, use the other bolt to pull the sleeve out, might need the swing arm being supported to take weight off the sleeve, I assume bike is in a stand and rear wheel removed, this helps a lot.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing Fox Float RP23 from Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.