Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Removing display on deore shifter
  • pace8500
    Free Member

Does anyone know if this is possible? I know it is on XT and XTR but unfortunately i dont have the money to upgrade.

thomthumb
    Free Member

EccentricEllis

Yeah, take the shifter off, unscrew the display, at the back of it there is a little disc, place that on the hole the display has made, use the screws you just gained and fit them.

Does depend on what year it is though.

xcgb
    Free Member

Why would you want to?

z1ppy

Not offical, as per SLX,XT and XTR, your just left with thomthumb's suggestion,

wwaswas

EccentricEllis – you can't do that on Deore.

I thought XTR came without windows anyway? Mine did.

I took them off my XT as well – I never use them and it's just one more thign to break/clutter the bars up.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Why would you want to?

to let you get the brake lever/ gear lever set up sensible.

never been able to get any shifter with a window to work properly with my brakes!

pace8500
    Free Member

I want to remove it so that i can fit my new hope brakes and have a comfortable setup.

It is payday today so i might have to put off paying a bill or two and get some new shifters.

br
    Free Member

You can do it on SLX, otherwise its a bodge.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 Tomthumb, it's not going to look very pretty though and the pastic doesn't look like it'll cut well.

I upgraded instead.

Sell your Deore for £20 and buy SLX for £30ish.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I did it on my old XT's with gaffa tape for years and years before shimmy caught on and started doign it properly with blankling discs etc. Just cut some old innertube into circles to pop in the top of the shifter, then gaffa over the top. Nice sticky gaffa that dosn't come off, otherwise you'll get grit in the shifter mechanism and all the funny tards that suggest you leave the windows on will laugh at you.

Works fine though. No stupid windows to tell you which gear you already know you're in.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I've done some deore ones recently, used some cable cutters on the plastic, then tape to seal.

Does it work? No problems so far.

Does it look ugly? Yes if you look at it, but it's under the bars/brakes so you'd have to actively go hunting.

In summary:

Do it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

how easy is it to remove the window from xt shifters? is it really really really that simple even a moron like moi could do it?

wwaswas

you have to undo a small screw(s), remove the window, put the blanker back and then do them back up again.

people can **** anything up so saying 'you'll be fine' is maybe a bit optimistic…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Removing display on deore shifter’ is closed to new replies.