Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Removing Bar Grips – help
  • victoriamazie
    Free Member

Any top tips on removing bar grips plse?

teef
    Free Member

Stanley knife

iainc

spray some gt85 inside them with the little red hose poked as far in as you can get it, leave 5 mins and slide them off

towzer

as ianc (or wd40) I use a medium flat bladed scredriver (gently) to lift grip away from bar and get nozzle hose further down grip

Squidlord
    Free Member

Or WD40

EDIT: great minds…

jaymoid

I went on a bicycle maintenance course a few years ago, the old rubber type that get stuck on can be loosened with hairspray (and I saw this working, weird!)
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips

I’d have thought everyone uses lock on style grips. (So loosen the hex screws and pull). What style are they?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Depends if you’re planning on reusing them. If not the a Stanley knife will get them off not problem. If you are then insert a small but long screwdriver under them and spray a bit of water alongside the screwdriver. Remove the screwdriver and tightly grip and pull them off. Gt and wd can make it difficult to get them to stay put when you put them back on.
    Alternatively cut them off and replace with a decent lock-on.

Hairspray is also good for putting them back on. As is clear lacquer. Provides lubricant for easy insertion. 😉 when it dries the grips are held fast.

victoriamazie
    Free Member

Super. Thank u all.

BadlyWiredDog

Gt and wd can make it difficult to get them to stay put when you put them back on.

Only if you don’t remove it before refitting the grips… just use some isopropyl or washing up liquid. And +1 for clear car lacqeur for refitting them.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Stanley Knife : Don’t score the bars! Could be a safety issue, especially with carbon ones!!

Maybe round the last 1mm of the point of the blade with sandpaper so you cut the rubber only.

neilthewheel

I’ve always used a spray degreaser for both removing and fitting which has the advantage of evaporating to allow the new grip to … Er…grip.

cjr61

Gently with flat blade screwdriver then blast them with GT85…then wiggle!

Sundayjumper

Hairspray. Works brilliantly and doesn’t need cleaning out like WD40 / GT85 will if you’re planning on re-using the grips.

victoriamazie
    Free Member

They’re off! (easily with gt85). Sould I clean bars or use anything else before fitting new grips?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

When we pull on grips, they act like a Chinese finger trap and tighten on the bars. Pushing them off is much easier. Try loosening the brake lever clamp, then pull on the lever body to push the grip off.

br
    Free Member

Sould I clean bars or use anything else before fitting new grips?

1 If fitting lock-on grips I’d just use a dry rag
    2 If not using lock-on grips see 1 🙂

honourablegeorge

For rubber grips with closed ends, use a track pump with the needle you’d use to inflate a football – Stick the needle in one side, cover any airholes with your hand, and pump. The grips shoot off, and it’s tremendously satisfying.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’d have thought everyone uses lock on style

I am yet to find a lock on grip I am happy with, they are either too hard, or too fat.

njee20
    Free Member

I am yet to find a lock on grip I am happy with, they are either too hard, or too fat.

And they’re heavy.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Some people at just fussy. 😆

ricardo666
    Free Member

Like the others have said squirt WD40 inside prising them open with a small screwdriver. Clean up the bars with something like Isopropanol Alcohol. Slide your new grips on with the wife’s hairspray.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Removing Bar Grips – help’ is closed to new replies.