Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Relative benefits of CTC over BC membership?
  • aP
    Free Member

I’ve been a BC member for about 15-20 years, but am not really hugely fussed about rejoining, and I resigned from the Commissaire pool at the beginning of the year so there’s not much to really keep me there.
    Any CTC members? Plusses/ Minusses?

thomthumb
    Free Member

For me Cycling UK is what the government count as cyclists. BC is racers.

Being A Cycling UK member means i get counted, when i want my bike on a train, a cycle path, or even more off road access . BC don’t deal with much of that afaik.

Beyond that it’s much of a muchness imo.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I hope Cycling UK use my money to put more effort into access issues and campaigning for better infrastructure etc. Other than that the two are much of a muchness to me

aP
    Free Member

Yes, that mostly agrees with my current thoughts.

dissonance

As per the others.
    Cycling UK seem a bit more interested in general cycling as opposed to racing. They also seem to be paying more attention to mountain biking recently.
    Hence they get my cash.

iainc

Both here, I’d echo comments in earlier posts about Cycling UK trying to represent the voice of cyclists. My BC membership is required for coaching.

philjunior
    Free Member

Although BC is a racing organisation, they do quite a bit to represent the interests of cycling in general too.
    I joined BC to race, and I wouldn’t bother being in both, and I kind of get the impression that BC campaigns more successfully and gets a higher profile on these things.
    Plus I’d read one too many strange reviews in the CTC mag.
    Not sure if there’s a cost difference from BC bronze to CTC membership?

ransos
    Free Member

You can join Cycling UK as an affiliate, e.g. through your local club. It’s about half the cost of personal membership and you still get a lot of the benefits.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want to support MTB advocacy then Cycling UK are way ahead, as someone in an independent advocacy body dealing with them both.

BC did some decent videos and have Saint Chris Boardman on the team, so they seem to be covering road cycling well from the outside – but I don’t know about on the ground.

Personally I defected from BC to C UK but then picked up a cheap BC membership as well for the CRC discounts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Relative benefits of CTC over BC membership?’ is closed to new replies.