Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Regretting going tubeless already – Beto air tank won’t pop tyres up
  • 40mpg

Just picked up this thread, sounds a right nightmare. I’m used to putting on some very big, baggy tyres on may fat and plus bikes, just using a standard (homemade) airshot.

The thing that makes it super easy every time is using fattystrippers (careful if you google!). Basically resistance band strips that do the same job as tubeless tape but overlap the edge of the rim. They catch on the tyre straight away being soft and flexy, creating a ‘soft seal’ without any air in, so its pretty easy to get pressure quickly. Managed quite a few fat tyres with just a track pump.

Dunno why these aren’t more in use for skinny tyres (weigh far less than 3 layers of tape too). -just an observation really!

stevextc
    Free Member

40mpg

They catch on the tyre straight away being soft and flexy, creating a ‘soft seal’ without any air in, so its pretty easy to get pressure quickly.

Yep, I wonder if the OP isn’t expecting something magic ???
    Ultimately it’s just getting a good enough seal to pump it up easily. I’ll avoid the google for now 😉 but I have some resistance bands from physio … I can easily see how that would work might give it a go next time I have a stubborn one.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just found this. I’ve used a Bontrager Flash charger for years. The hose snapped and Bontrager in their infinite wisdom don’t sell a spare that fits.
    So I bought a Beto bump and airtank. Finally needed to use it this week and like the OP, the airflow is rubbish and it won’t inflate my 38c gravel tyres that went on fine with the Bounty pump. Its like just using a pump, it doesn’t dump enough air in to pop the tyre up onto the rim.
    I suspect I’ve left it too long to send back though which is disappointing. Time to buy an airshot….

13thfloormonk

With a bit of practice mine is *just* good enough, although I still prefer to pop a tube in first to get one bead popped on, gives the Beto 50% less to do.

Is disappointing though, you can hear extra spurts of air coming out of the tank randomly even after you’ve disconnected it, no idea what that’s about!

Never did return it, would have been expensive postage so on balance I thought it was more useful than not.

Would be nice if someone was brave enough to dismantle one and figure out how to improve airflow through it!

nixie

Odd mine dumps loads in when charged to 160 psi with the valve core out. The only tyre it hasn’t inflated is one that was way too baggy (700c and not a tubeless tyre onto awkward rims).

plus-one

Aye my Beto was hit or miss it packed up so bought an airshot!!! Different class 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Regretting going tubeless already – Beto air tank won’t pop tyres up’ is closed to new replies.