Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Refusing an offer of fixed penalty
  • csb

Sounds to me like someone who has been failed by DVLA’s opaque rules and refusal to issue V5 amendments needs to request judicial review of their decision processes.

mrhoppy

I’m considering it at the moment.

falkirk-mark

I got my van through as a conversion just before they started tightening up but from what I understand they want something that is a campervan to be 100% recognised as a campervan by the authorities hence decals windows etc.

phil5556

I shall watch this with interest 👀👀
    Please do report back how you get on.

I drive a campervan that is classified as a van with windows, I haven’t had to test out the speed limit theory yet.

Before you start you are under 3.05T unladen aren’t you?

Spin
    Free Member

Before you start you are under 3.05T unladen aren’t you?

Yes!

phil5556

Just checking 👍

poly
    Free Member

Spin – you can try writing to the camera enforcement unit and explaining – if they think they’ve wrongly identified the limit that applies to your vehicle they will take no further action. However I’d say that’s far from guaranteed.

Otherwise you don’t need to do anything to “challenge” it. You simply do nothing and the case will most likely be referred the PF. You may get another offer to pay £100/3pts from the fiscal, or they may proceed directly to court. Ordinarily they have six months to start proceedings in court, however for most summary cases that is extended to 12 months due to the covid backlog. They frequently take most of the six months – then you will get a citation with the option to plead guilty (or not) by letter. If you plead not guilty an intermediate diet and trial diet will be set, probably about 6 months in the future based on current backlogs. Don’t be surprised if the trial gets put adjourned so could be two years from now – I say this not to encourage you to plead guilty but to suggest it really is worth the effort asking the camera unit to consider it; and to make sure you gather any evidence about the nature of the van etc – E.g. you might want to take photographs, video, have someone else witness you do that etc – especially if you might sell or modify the van at all.

Ordinarily I’d say someone who is able to have a sensible and civil argument here would be able to defend themselves, but I’d consider if you really want to win on a technical argument like this at least talking to a solicitor used to dealing road traffic in that local court, in fact if they get the point they may be able to have a chat with the fiscal and get the case dropped at the first or intermediate diet.

The good news in Scotland is you won’t have to pay prosecution costs if found guilty, the bad news is if found not guilty you don’t get any contribution to your costs.

Cougar

Well, this is the damnedest thing I’ve read in days.

So it doesn’t matter whether you’re hauling people or concrete, the speed limit is determined by what your van looks like? Swap a couple of steel panels out for glass and whack a couple of ‘Mystery Machine’ stickers on the sides and hey, in the eye of the law it’s suddenly perfectly safe to drive 10mph faster?

Spin, I admire your optimism and I genuinely hope this works out for you. But I do rather worry that it’s the ‘having right of way’ argument on a cycle when you’ve just been left-hooked. It’s crackers that the DVLA won’t reclassify your vehicle because surely that then would be demonstrable proof, “sorry m’lud but I think you’ll find that it says on the V5…” What’s the point of even having a classification if it’s legally meaningless?

astormatt
    Free Member

Unless you have a fixed high top roof, pop top doesn’t count, then you have pretty much zero chance of getting it re classified to camper van on the V5.

My transporter (factory combi) is classed as an M1 on the V5, so car speed limits apply. Most newer combi vans are now N1 even with 6 seats.

Spin
    Free Member

Thanks for that poly. I found contact details for the camera enforcement unit and emailed them and I’ll follow it up with a letter with photographic evidence which was plan A anyway.

intheborders
    Free Member

most vans do not have all the same driver aids, they also handle much worse, have worse braking distances, and weigh a lot more causing a lot more damage to whatever they plow into. I’d prefer they slow them down more.

Oh, so speed limits should be determined by the ability to slow down and/or their weight?

If that’s the case then either there are a lot of cars on the road that need lower limits or those of us with ‘quality’ cars ought to be allowed higher limits…

And electric cars, since they often weigh more than ‘normal’ cars (our friends’ Audi is 2.7 tonne!), are they getting lower limits?

As for the OP, if the fixed penalty includes Points then I’d also fight it, but if it’s just the cash – is it really worth it, and what’s the chance of actually winning?

poly
    Free Member

@intheborders – all fixed penalties in Scotland for speeding are £100 & 3 penalty points.

@spin
    – I should have said – I assume as you have a COoFP you have already complied with the S172 requirement to name the driver? If not you MUST do this within 28 days of the notice – otherwise you end up with far bigger problem. usually the NIP/S172 request are one letter then the COoFP comes a week or two later – but some English forces do combine the S172 and an offer in one. AFAIK police Scotland don’t do that but if they think it’s a way to save the cost of a stamp they might have started!

Greybeard
    Free Member

As for the OP, if the fixed penalty includes Points then I’d also fight it, but if it’s just the cash – is it really worth it, and what’s the chance of actually winning?

Not just points, but also notifying insurer and probably increased premium. If it were me, I’d also feel I had drive to the lower speed limit in future if I’d accepted it.

poly
    Free Member

No, reading an internet blog of a secondhand story definitely isn’t proof, this is exactly the kind of ‘research’ I don’t subscribe to. It’ll have to be a photo of your discharge letter or whatever, with personal details redacted of course, when you win.

For most ways for this to end there is no written proof sent to spin – he could jump through hoops to get it but most ways of it being dropped don’t result in a letter.

mrhoppy

So it doesn’t matter whether you’re hauling people or concrete, the speed limit is determined by what your van looks like?

No there is a set of criteria inside and out for the conversion to meet but even where this is demonstrated DVLA are classifying as van with windows. They state this is how it appears externally and that is the purpose of the V5 classification. They have taken what should be a factual assessment of meeting criteria and added an arbitrary opinion to that which is not set out in their evaluation criteria.

Their view is that V5 classification is not to reflect what the vehicle is and that speed limits are not based on V5 classification. So they are leaving it to individuals effectively to assess whether they feel that they meet the requirements.

sharkbait
    Free Member

but is able to do 80-90 with complete impunity on a motorway.

Because dual carriageways can be very different to motorways and decidedly more dangerous?

teenrat

Because dual carriageways can be very different to motorways and decidedly more dangerous?

but alot safer if you have a sink, table, high top and stickers on the outside?

ive been reading about the rules and it is so grey. So with the DVLA rules, you can have a ‘dual purpose’ vehicle as they put it, that meets all the criteria, but still is subject to the lower speeds because it is a van with windows. So basically, unless you have a factory conversion, all campervans must stick to the lower limits.

intheborders
    Free Member

@intheborders – all fixed penalties in Scotland for speeding are £100 & 3 penalty points.

I only asked as the OP hadn’t mentioned Points, and these for me are the worse bit.

Not just points, but also notifying insurer and probably increased premium. If it were me, I’d also feel I had drive to the lower speed limit in future if I’d accepted it.

3 points shouldn’t impact the OP, but the last point is something I hadn’t considered – definitely worth appealing IMO.

Twodogs

if you have a sink, table, high top and stickers on the outside?

Speed limits won’t be your problem with that lot on the outside

Olly
    Free Member

I have also heard that you can argue the toss if you can demonstrate your van is being used as a camper, even if the DVLA wont reclassify it (which they wont do anymore)

I think technically, your speed limit on a motorhome varies depending on what cargo is on board.

Motorhoming: 70.
    Carrying goods for exhibition or sale: 60.

The classification system isnt fit for purpose.

I bought a minibus, 70mph upper limit, but a 62mph speed limiter (go figure)
    Pulled some seats and made it into a 7 seater day van.
    DVLA reclassed it as “Private Light Goods” So i can have the limiter removed (which ive done)
    so now i THINK i can drive at 70, as its Private Light Goods, not just Light Goods.
    Except now im worried im gonna get pulled because from the outside (and the sticker on the sunvisor) it looks like its limited to 62mph, but will happily cruise along at 70.

wwaswas

Only here out of a general interest – but that FOI link is brilliantly clear, thanks for posting 🙂

scuttler

FOI request is brilliantly clear in its acknowledgment of a broken system between the people who classify vehicles, the people who define transport policy and the people who enforce it. Shower of shit.

chakaping
    Free Member

It is a weird aspect to the law that a van can only do 60 legally on a dual carriageway, which is actively enforced by the police

Well, in my experience it’s hardly ever enforced by police.

But perhaps I’ve only got done the once as my van is a six-seater with windows, and therefore a dual-purpose vehicle.

This is a decent explainer:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/advice/speed-limits/

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

so now i THINK i can drive at 70, as its Private Light Goods,

You can’t. Limit is still 60 unless it’s a car derived van.

I will agree however that it’s all a load of cobblers as I have 2 identical Peugeot Boxers. 1 is my work van, loaded with tools weighs 2.5t speed limit 60, the other is a camper conversion, weighs 3t on the road and is allowed to do 70 as reclassified as motor caravan.

onehundredthidiot

As an aside does a 3T car have to do a different MoT? My t5 was classified as 2.95T so ok for “normal” MoT if it hadn’t be reclassified by the AA then I’d have needed the next one up.
    Does a Range Rover at over 3T just go through normal can MoT.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d agree that the speed limits need a review, it’s ridiculous that a ‘camper’ with a pile of nailed together plywood, a gas bottle etc can rattle down the road at 70mph, get them all down to 50, better for the environment too 😉

Cougar

Something’s just occurred to me.

If you were pinged on a dual carriageway after thinking the limit was 70 when it’s 60 for your vehicle classification… what speed were you doing? An indicated 70 would likely have been an actual 65 at most and maybe lower. Being penalised for that sounds unusually harsh, are they stricter up in that Scotlandshire?

DrP

I thought it might be this lady running really really fast, and not just walking in a bus lane…
    I am disapoint.. (but an interesting thread!)

DrP

richmtb

If you were pinged on a dual carriageway after thinking the limit was 70 when it’s 60 for your vehicle classification… what speed were you doing? An indicated 70 would likely have been an actual 65 at most and maybe lower. Being penalised for that sounds unusually harsh, are they stricter up in that Scotlandshire?

Not every vehicle speedo under reads by 5mph. Mine is about 2mph (an indicated 70 is 68mph)

If we apply the 10% + 2 then I guess 68mph is the lowest speed you would get done for in a 60

db

OP write back and inform them they have issued the notice in error. They have used the best information they had available but the classification on the V5 does not determine the speed. The DVLA have said exactly this. Send photos of the van and the fine should be cancelled.

db
    duncancallum

1 success and a reversal for that force doesn’t make a legal precedent.

This is also Scotland so a other factors could be different.

It amazes me how many people don’t know of the reduced limit in vans

poly
    Free Member

@Flaperon

It is a weird aspect to the law that a van can only do 60 legally on a dual carriageway, which is actively enforced by the police, but is able to do 80-90 with complete impunity on a motorway.

1. is it that weird? DCWs can have crossing traffic, right turns, cyclists, horses, busses stopping to pick up passengers, pedestrians crossing, roundabouts etc. Motorways have none of that.

2. Police Scotland will certainly actively enforce anyone doing 80-90 on a motorway (and even high 70s).

steveh

You don’t need to go to court, give them a call to confirm where to send it then supply all the relevant information and photos to support and they may well cancel.

Cougar

Not every vehicle speedo under reads by 5mph. Mine is about 2mph (an indicated 70 is 68mph)

That may well be so, but not many don’t (IME, etc).

Under-reading is illegal and there are many variations which could throw out an otherwise accurate speedo. Increased tyre pressures because it’s a sunny day? Unless a speedo is taking external measurements such as a GPS lock it’s always going to over-read, the only question is by how much.

breadcrumb

Does a Range Rover at over 3T just go through normal can MoT.

They aren’t over 3T, not unladen anyways, more like 2.6T

breadcrumb

That may well be so, but not many don’t (IME, etc).

Under-reading is illegal and there are many variations which could throw out an otherwise accurate speedo. Increased tyre pressures because it’s a sunny day? Unless a speedo is taking external measurements such as a GPS lock it’s always going to over-read, the only question is by how much.

My car (BMW) has the option of BMW speed or true speed. Looks to be about 2-3 mph difference.

andrewh
    Free Member

The difference between my tom-tom and speedo is around 7-9mph at 70, Transit.
    Also, you can’t use the tom-tom as the speedo to get through an MOT when the proper one isn’t working 🤣

duncancallum

Also police Scotland don’t publish the tolerance….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Refusing an offer of fixed penalty’ is closed to new replies.