Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reduced Working Hours
  • mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Currently work for a German engineering company in the UK and business is dire. In an effort to help the company through the current issues they are proposing reducing working hours to a three day week. This is not an issue in Germany as the state government help make up the wage shortfall and my German manager tells me the company is looking to implement this in the UK even though I believe there is no state provision here. Is there any asistance availible or is it a case of better having 60% of my salary rather than have 5% of it on the dole? Thanks

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Nope, you be given the usual “you’re lucky to have a job, fella” speech if you ask.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Though it might bring you down to levels to claim tax credits etc.

cp

apparently there is funding from the government, but it has to be matched by funding from a bank…. our place (and quite a few others apparently) are scared of applying for finance from the govt because they will have to tell their bank and that might mean a change in the loan terms… i.e more expensive loans, potentially putting them in a worse position anyway!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

btw they can’t force this on you, they need your agreement. If they don’t get that they may look at redundancies…

winstonsmith

sneek into your work later tonight and burn the place down. that’ll learn them

cp

i think it can be enforced if there is a union and the union decide to take a majority vote on it

Spongebob
    Free Member

business is dire.

You said it!

Be practical, not idealisitic!

surfer
    Free Member

And its still a reasonable salary in the meantime if state benefit only equals 5%

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

you might be able to get help with your mortgage.

goggle homeowner mortgage scheme

dooosuk
    Free Member

Take the 3 day week and 60% pay and then use your 2 days off to look for another position if you think there’s a better deal out there for you.

Or ride your bike.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys – as I work from home burning it down would not be an inspired choice so it looks like I am going to be riding my bike four a days a week :-)but it means that Stif ain’t going to be selling me a Mojo now 🙁

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

As my deep Lancastrian father in law would say…

“owt’s better that nowt”

Been through similar experiences recently, had to tell staff they were on a 4 day week. Got everybody involved in cost cutting and efficiency drives, which boosted morale considerably- everyone working to keep the business afloat. Unfortunately we couldn’t survive the constant waves of bad news (suppliers demanding cash on delivery, customers not paying on time, major contracts being pulled or postponed).

Such is life… I do rest easy in the knowledge though, that I did everything I possibly could to help. In the end we were victims of circumstance. 🙁

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Does the drop in hours allow you to pick up something temporary to fill in – bar/shop/etc?

Would err on the side of pragmatism – some money, even reduced is better than dole and you can at least look round for other jobs when in work much more easily than when unemployed.

aracer
    Free Member

but it means that Stif ain’t going to be selling me a Mojo now

Personally I’d go for riding 4 days a week on a cheap bike over riding 2 days a week on something blingy every time! If you can afford to live on 60% (bearing in mind it will be more like 70% take home), just have to modify your lifestyle, treat it as a blessing in disguise!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Yep definetly appreciate that any job is better than no job in the current climate. It’s a job I would struggle to find again so am willing to take what ever they “offer” me

Denno17
    Free Member

Have a look at ProAct.
    Welsh assembly offer this

http://www.business-support-wales.gov.uk/assembly_government_support/business_training/proact.aspx

Better than trying to claim the money through react.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reduced Working Hours’ is closed to new replies.