Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recovery after knee meniscal surgery-any experiences?
  • dcl

I am in to have key hole surgery to repair the meniscal in my knee but I just haven’t got a clue on recover, mobility and riding my bike again.

Has anyone had this and offer any insight into the recovery.

I am also a self employed builder so need some idea for booking work!

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First up, every op is different, so go with what surgeon says, obviously!

My op was 2 years ago, was back at work 3 days after, no pain really had a wee bit of swelling. I took a month off the bike, was fine apart from some stiffness after the first few weeks rides.

Best thing I’ve done for the knee is running, I had reservations as it was stiff at first, but I reckon the running has rebuilt the wasted muscle and it is miles better now. I have a little less mobility, ie canny really get my heel up to touch my arse cheek when stretching quads, but it’s a small price to pay.

Not as much as a peep out of it now running half marathons, got a couple of bigger runs booked for next year! best of luck.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

I had some tears in my meniscus repaired and spent 6 weeks after on crutches non weight bearing. Suppose it depends on the extent of your surgery, if it’s just a trim and tidy up you might be straight back to it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve had two ops and the second one I got overconfident in how it was feeling and over did things. Big mistake as my leg turned purple and I was in real pain for a week or more.

So….my advice is to put your leg up for a couple of days and take the recovery real slow.  An exercise bike is a good way or getting back into it bit by bit.

Do that and you should be back to normal in a month.

dcl

Cheers guys.
    Hopefully it is just a tidy up

anagallis_arvensis

I had an op a few tears ago but my knee had been locked for 3 weeks after a bit of an off at BPW….was back on the bike after a month. But they also found a snapped ACL so had to have another op about 4 months later. That took a bit more recovery!

billyboy
    Free Member

I was told full recovery would be six weeks after my surgery, and that was about right. I had a check up after a week and the doctor encouraged me to get back on a bike. I found that I couldn’t actually get onto any of my bikes except the Brompton, so that’s what I rode from the second week on. First I had to find flat routes and then I progressed to more and more climbing.

The thing they didn’t tell me was that seat height is fairly critical to knee health. I only learnt that a long time after from the fourth physio I saw privately. Go as high as you can go before your hips start moving to facilitate the pedal stroke. It works.

tonyg2003

I had a key whole meniscal surgery about 5 years ago. It was just a cartilage trim (on a knee that I snapped the ligaments on 23years ago – so I’ve done pretty well with it) and I was back on the bike in just over a week. I suspect that mine was about as minor as it gets.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Had mine 4 weeks ago. Been exercising sensibly as per my surgeon’s advice, and had my first proper ride yesterday.

chuffed to bits with the surgery result. First time I’ve not limped whilst walking this year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recovery after knee meniscal surgery-any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.