Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recon service kit – where from?
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve got Rock shox Recon TK solo air forks (120mm, from a 2011 26″ bike) that require a service, but I’ve no idea where to get a service kit from, or the oil I need, or the ‘suspension specific’ grease.

Not tackled the job before, but the SRAM manual looks pretty straight forward.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the parts?

cp

motorbike shop for fork oil – get the viscosity as listed in the manual.

dust seals – chain reaction etc.. all sell them, as do a few folks on ebay (look for 32mm rock shox seals – I think they are all the same, but check Recon is listed).

Beyond that, you need the tools listed in the manual – generally a large socket and some allen keys.

I’m not sure how common it is now, but I still but grease between the lips of the wiper seals with some old rock shox grease I have. Something like this is the stuff to use

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3150

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For a start, you do not need anything ‘suspension specific’
    And, if nothing is leaking, leave the seals as they are!
    You WILL need some 5wt oil for the damping side and some 15+wt for lubrication in the lowers and in the air chamber.
    Go to a motorbike shop for that. Silkolene is my favourite.
    I’m also not sure about the new RS thing of only lubrication the insides with grease. I think it’s because it makes assembly easier (In the factory…) and I’ve carried on using 5cc of 15wt oil inside the air cartridge like RS used to do. Personally, I think oil is preferable, works better and produces a slightly more supple fork
    If you do need seals there’s people starting to sell cheaper kits on eBay now, and LoCo Tuning were on about sourcing their own too. RS want a silly amount for a few O rings!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Here’s the dust seals for all 32mm RS forks (Recon, Tora, Reba, Revelation, Sektor)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-32mm-Dust-Seal-Foam-Ring-Kit-/321061157455?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ac0bc7a4f&_uhb=1

And this guy does cheap O ring kits. I think the ‘Reba Race’ kit will do all non-U-Turn forks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/evilhomersimpson/m.html?item=181054785737&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

billytinkle
    Free Member

And, if nothing is leaking, leave the seals as they are!

I’m actually at the point of asking myself ‘have I left this too long?’. I don’t want to end up in a position where I need to shell out a few hundred pounds on some new forks.

However there appears to be nothing noticibly wrong with the forks at the moment – no leaks, lock out works well, they feel nice and smooth – but the only maintenance I’ve ever given them is regular cleaning. My concern is that they’ve covered around 5,000 miles and a few threads on here have me concerned that I’ve neglected them in a big way.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m actually at the point of asking myself ‘have I left this too long?’. I don’t want to end up in a position where I need to shell out a few hundred pounds on some new forks.

Seals don’t kill forks, lack of lubrication does though! I’m not saying “Don’t service them”, I’m saying “Don’t bother replacing the seals unless theres a problem”

Pull, ’em apart, clean them out (And I mean CLEAN. As in like you can see your face in the internals..!) relube them and put them back together. It’s easy, cheap, makes a noticeable difference and extend the life of your forks hugely. 🙂

billytinkle
    Free Member

Superb info. will get ordering tonight. Many thanks.

roverpig

I’m in a similar position. Thanks for the comments, but living in the middle of nowhere, it’s a bit of a faff to drive to the nearest motorbike shop. Much easier to click a few buttons and have a courier deliver it all to my door. So, I don’t suppose anybody has links for the various oils and grease required. Cheeky I know, but I’ve tried Google and am bewildered by all the options.

billytinkle
    Free Member

The grease is linked to in the second post 🙂

roverpig

billytinkle:[/u] The grease is linked to in the second post

Ah, so it is, thanks. So is that what people refer to as fork butter?

Now, since I’m on the CRC site I see that I can order “Stendec Crystal Fork Fluid” or “Rock Oil SVI suspension fluid” in a variety of weights. Presumably either will do.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now, since I’m on the CRC site I see that I can order “Stendec Crystal Fork Fluid” or “Rock Oil SVI suspension fluid” in a variety of weights. Presumably either will do.

FFS no! Go to a motorbike shop for your suspension oil. It’s far cheaper.

roverpig

We did that (above). If I have to drive 30 miles to my nearest motorbike shop it’s not really cheaper. Anyway, it looks as though we are talking less than a tenner for enough oil for loads of services. At that rate I’m not sure it would be worth going even a couple of miles out of my way. But then I am lazy 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recon service kit – where from?’ is closed to new replies.