• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by beej.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend A Decent Curry House in Birmingham City Centre
  • bamboo
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a decent curry house in the centre of Birmingham – i.e. within walking distance of the shopping area? I know that there is the Balti triangle etc, but that is a taxi/bus ride away which I would like to avoid.

hatter

Depends on how posh you want to go.

Posh: Pushkar on Broad Street

Medium: Deolali in Moseley

Cheap: Anywhere on Ladypool Road

somouk
    Free Member

There are a few to choose from, I personally frequent Milans which is just between the city and St Pauls Square for lunch and it’s a buffet lunch but A La Carte evening menu.

If it’s an evening then one of the nicest up and coming places is the Viceroy which is just at the bottom of the Jewellery Quarter.

Closest places to the shopping areas will be Broad Street but you’ll pay a premium and need to book in advance.

bamboo
    Free Member

Moseley and Sparkbrook aren’t what I would call walking distance from the city/shopping centre though.

Pushkar had come up in a google search, but as it is on Broad St I assumed it might be best avoided!

hatter

Pushkar is a bit ‘bling’ but the food is bang on, been a few times.

I’ve moved down south but my mate works in the city centre and as a true curry hound has eaten in pretty much every curry place within walking distance.

Pushkar’s is where is goes is he wants to push the boat out.

If I’m in Brum and want a nice curry without having to wear a proper shirt then I tend to end up in Deolali’s, although granted it is a bit further out than you wanted.

luffy105
    Free Member

When I was at Uni we always used to eat at Manzils in Digbeth (near to the bullring). Used to be a cracking Balti house run by a gent called Roly. had many many fun nights there.

Mind you that was some years ago now so can’t vouch for them as much but if it is still the same owners it will be good.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    beej

Manzils! That was our late night haunt early 90s. I wouldn’t go there sober though.

jamj1974

Ashas.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack.

Which of the above good curry houses is close to the National Indoor Arena and would allow people wearing Motorhead T shirts in ?

jamj1974

Asha’s again. 10 minute walk away.

Jakester
    Free Member

Best is/was Itihaars on Newhall St, but it’s posh. Second best was Raj Doot – also a bit posh. They’re both not far from NIA, but dunno about Motorhead T-shirts!

Not tried Pushkar, but worked over the road for years and it never seemed busy. As previously mentioned, Moseley and Ladypool Rd aren’t within walking distance of city centre. Deolalis was great though.

A cracker is Jyotis on Stratford Road (if it’s still there) – all vegetarian, but superb food.

jamj1974

Very disappointed each time I went to Itihaas. Had a few very nice meals in Milans and then two very average/poor ones.

luffy105
    Free Member

Beej – was our late night haunt from ’93 onwards!

we may have fallen over each other at some stage…..

codybrennan
    Free Member

3rd for Asha’s.

Looked pretentious from the outside- curry was excellent.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

4th for Ashas.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Can’t recommend a good one but can warn you about a crap one – Shimla Pinks. Maybe it’s because it was a works do and there were thirty of us but it was shocking. Crap service and bland food, never again.

takisawa2

Forget curry, head up to the Joint Stock, if not for the gorgeous selection of ales or for one of their pie & mash meals, then for the great building it’s set in. I can heartily recomend the mushroom one.

beej

@luffy105 Aston? Left 93 but we kept revisiting for a few years after.

bamboo
    Free Member

Thanks. Have booked ashas, is strolling distance from the Wellington.

luffy105
    Free Member

beej, yep was at Aston, started in ’93 though

Manzils became the ski club curry house of choice. many happy nights spent there

mrblobby
    Free Member

beej, also left Aston I think in 93. A 3am curry in Manzils after a night at the Institute always seemed like a great idea!

beej

We used to walk there from the guild. Never the same way twice, through all the dodgy old industrial areas. No-one actually knew the way. It was some kind of homing instinct I think.

It’s still going! Opened in 1966!

http://manzils.co.uk/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend A Decent Curry House in Birmingham City Centre’ is closed to new replies.