Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommended TV watching
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Haven’t seen one these threads for a while, so what’s the latest must see TV? Netflix, terrestrial, Sky, Amazon whatever.

I will go first, “The Ritual” film on amazon but was a Netflix film originally. Its a bit marmite and online opinions seem to be divided but I am firmly in the loved it camp. Great atmosphere, decent acting on the whole and some genuine jump out of your skin moments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been catching up on Sneaky Pete on Amazon

There was also another Archer series recently

DezB
    Free Member

Just finished “Get Shorty” was superb.

“Sharp Objects” – Even better.

fasthaggis

Still ..IMHO the best thing on TV just now.

Last one of Season 2 this Sunday.

here comes the future

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Haven’t explored Amazon in a while…

Some good foreign language stuff on Netflix

(English names…)

The Forest

The Break

The Rain (a bit mad but good ideas)

Also, Aussie series Secret City isn’t bad.

stevied
    Free Member

‘Safe’ was pretty good on Netflix.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also, Aussie series Secret City isn’t bad.

Not but it is recycling a lot of aussie stars!! Made me a little homesick, always liked Canberra

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Better Call Saul season 3 has just started.

‘Kim Wexler’. That’s all I’m saying…. 😘

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Safe as per Stevied, very good.

Cougar

Season 3 started ages ago, we’re on season 4 now.

hols2
    Free Member

The Americans

The Deuce

Westworld

The Expanse

The Good Place

Better Call Saul

Succession

Counterpart

Sneaky Pete

Snowfall

Preacher

Future Man

Brockmire

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Season 3 started ages ago, we’re on season 4 now.

(Goes and checks).

Oops.

cinnamon_girl

Second series of Canadian drama “Cardinal” starring Billy Campbell started last Saturday on BBC4.  My one criticism of the first series was the violence and unfortunately this series does warn of prolonged violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bfdbwq/cardinal-blackfly-season-2-kevin

Also very much enjoying the third series of British crime drama “Unforgotten” which had totally passed me by, ITV hub to the rescue.

http://www.itv.com/hub/unforgotten/2a3372

Edit: if real-life floats your boat then “The Prosecutors” is really fascinating:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bdq0m9

spawnofyorkshire

Thanks for the heads-up on the new series of cardinal 🙂

Annoyingly I’ve got a train journey tonight, but iplayer doesn’t have download rights for this series 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Oh and there was an excellent BBC documentary called “Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars”.  Most interesting as well as sad.  Doesn’t seem to be available at the moment but no doubt it will appear at some point.

avdave2

Also very much enjoying the third series of British crime drama “Unforgotten”

I’ve just watched the first series on Netflix and was very pleased to have an email earlier saying they now have the second series.

The Vietnam War documentary series on Netflix is a must watch if not an easy watch.

jimdubleyou

The Rain (a bit mad but good ideas)

I started watching this, but the dubbed voice of the teenage girl was too annoying to get past the first 20 minutes.

cinnamon_girl

You should be able to watch both series of “Unforgotten” for free on the itv hub.  Was the Vietnam documentary the one that was on terrestrial not long ago?  I watched most of them and was left with feelings of rage towards such short-sighted and selfish politicians who allowed this to happen.  A shocking and pointless travesty.

toby1

Finally into “The thick of it” – so late to the party!

Recent Netflixes:

Good Girls – light ish entertainment, has better characters than it does story line.

Happy – comic book, graphic violence, stupid story-line, but passed time on the train ok.

Everything sucks – not all that strong, but mildly entertaining

Normal TV:

Billions series we finally caught up on was good

Handmaids Tale is just great, so dark.

Westworld, just getting to series 2, no idea what is going on.

Older stuff;

Forget everything else and just watch Archer, it’s terrible and fantastic in so many ways.

Weeds – great dark comedy.

spawnofyorkshire

Westworld, just getting to series 2, no idea what is going on.

I’ve watched it, still not a chuffing clue what’s happening

avdave2

I know I could watch them on ITV hub cinnamon_girl but I hate having to put up with the adverts so pleased I don’t have to tolerate them now to watch the second series.

I’m not sure if it’s the series that was on terrestrial tv, probably, but yes the feeling of it being a terrible dreadful waste of life on all sides was overwhelming. It just seemed that everyone on all sides just kept digging a deeper hole for themselves.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Westworld season 2

I’ve watched it, still not a chuffing clue what’s happening

I watched it, and I’m fairly sure the writers, actors, and directors didn’t have a chuffing clue what was, had, or was about to be happening.

Season 1 was absolutely superb though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Re sharp objects, have you watched the whole series? We’ve only watched up to episode 5 as that’s all that’s available?

Swelper
    Free Member

Just finished watching Patrick Melrose. Fantastic

also watching The Affair

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQh36eStMqk

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve just binge-watched The Americans (well up to Season 6 anyway which isn’t free on Prime and I missed it on ITV4) after people here kept mentioning it. Def worth a watch.

I guess time to start Better Call Saul (which reminds me, I never did watch the last series of Breaking Bad so might have to watch it all from the start…)

hols2
    Free Member

I never did watch the last series of Breaking Bad

Best to not watch Better Call Saul until you finish BB. It has flash forwards to what happens to Saul Goodman.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I stumbled upon “Under The Dome” this week, already through the first series! Its surprisingly addictive despite its glaring plot holes and often over acting junior stars.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Dirk Gently on Netflix was a breath of fresh air in my opinion. Best adaptation so far. Nicely removed from the books and in fact set some time after the books. The guy playing Dirk Gently is a bit irritating initially but them Dirk character is irritating anyway no?

Glow ‘Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling’, just finished this on Netflix. I really enjoyed it, nice light entertainment in which absolutely no one dies a hideous death which is seemingly a rare this for a Netflix series.

nicko74

I dipped into A Very English Scandal which was very good if short. Hugh Grant is really getting into playing his age.

I want to watch the Affair but can’t find it anywhere on free to view (or subscription) – do you have to buy it?

And of course GBBO returns soon…

johnx2
    Free Member

Succession (HBO/Sky Atlantic/NowTV) is the best telly right now. Jesse Armstrong’s a long way from Peepshow it’s a lot darker than the thick of it, though with some similar rhythms. There are some laughs but it doesn’t feel like a comedy to me. Really good stuff.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Everyone else probably watched it last year but I’m really enjoying Dark on Netflix, please watch it in German with subtitles I can’t abide the dubbed actors.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommended TV watching’ is closed to new replies.