Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommended roof bars and bike rack
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Need to get some roof bars and rack for my Tiguan. Has to be on the roof as will be towing a trailer at same time.

I can get the VW roof bars but they are £185 and bike rack is £93 but no idea how that compares to others from Halfords etc.

What ones are people using? Single bike.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I use Thule wing bars with 598 carriers. Not sure they will be any cheaper than the VW bars but the quality is spot on.
    roofbox.co.uk usually best prices and quick delivery.

kingofthetoys

I went with Thule for the quality, weren’t cheap like but didn’t fancy skimping, pride and joy after all.

They’ve been spot on.

droodling
    Free Member

I went with Yakima Whispbars with the Highroad carrier.

The carrier hold the bike by the front wheel rather than a clamp around the downtube, which wasn’t going to work with the shock placement on my Evil. Also seemed kinder to a carbon frame.

Again, not cheap, but everything has been rock solid.

rogermoore

Whispbars and Thule 598s from Roofbox – got matching keys thrown in a deal IIRC.
    RM.

garage-dweller

What roof fixings have you got? Are they clamp around roof rail ones (the old school raised ones you got on estate cars)?

If so I’ve got some Atera Aero bars (120cm), that I am happy to part with as the new car takes a rack with a bolt in foot. With the Corona virus I’ve just set them to one side on the assumption noone would want them but if a second hand set is of interest and they’d suit let me know.

hot_fiat

The VW oem bars are made by rhino. They are utterly bomb proof but also crude, noisy and not aerodynamic at all.

I’d look at Atera Signos, the Thule Wings or best of all the Whispbars. Bear in mind with all aerodynamic bars they work best with the T-track bolts instead of u-clamps (whispbars will only work with t-track bolts). Roofbox .co.uk are superb to deal with.

antigee

droodling
    I went with Yakima Whispbars with the Highroad carrier.

The carrier hold the bike by the front wheel rather than a clamp around the downtube, which wasn’t going to work with the shock placement on my Evil. Also seemed kinder to a carbon frame.

Again, not cheap, but everything has been rock solid.

recently bought a Yakima rack as above works well and having spent nearly an hour putting together some Toyota roof bars that came in a box big enough for them to have come assembled I was very pleased to find the Yakima rack needed nothing doing before fitting though the security locks come as a separate item

jkomo

Look out for 2nd hand Thule.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seasucker or rockbros, then you can keep them for your next car too, or use on a mates.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ask yourself a question first. Will you be keeping the bars on permanently or removing them when not in use? If the latter then don’t bother with paying the extra for the aero bars as for the odd journey you do with them you wont save any fuel. Also wind noise comes mostly form what you’ve got attached to the bards and not the bars themselves and even then not the bars but the interaction with the bar attachments to the roof so no benefit whatsoever.

greenskin
    Free Member

I have some aerobars you can have for cheap. No longer need them as I have a van.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve had all sorts in the past. Currently have OEM Mini ones on my Clubman but with some trusty old Proride 591s which are just brilliant. Always used them and never had a problem.

Atera stuff – as I think I’ve said on here before, I have a DL3 towbar rack on my van and I hate it with a passion, moreso after seeing how easy it was in comparison to use a friend Thule equivalent.

Yakima stuff is up there with Thule in terms of quality. Have their aero bars on my van and they’re absolutely silent – can’t tell they’re on even with the windows down.

fadda

I have whispbars which, although comparable quality with Thule, I find really annoying to fit the bike carriers to, because of the rubber insert, which rucks up when you’re sliding the T-track attachments into them.

After asking on here, I fashioned some plastic guide strips and use silicon lube spray, which helps but is still more faff (appreciate its very much a first world problem).

When I come to replace them, I’ll get Thule again because of this

igm

Skoda Kodiaq (so similar to Tiguan Allspace I think) with the Yakima Whispbars from Roofbox company.

The inline bars are fine and very quiet! Get the through bars if you need some more height or width.

No problems with sliding the T-mounts in for me.

vincienup
    Free Member

I ran aero bars and 591’s and it was bulletproof. I very rarely removed the bars and there was honestly no appreciable hit to the economy until you put bikes up there when it obviously dropped.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommended roof bars and bike rack’ is closed to new replies.