Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommended Edinburgh recreational cycling?
  • alexdodd
    Free Member

So I don’t actually do much recreational cycling around Edinburgh at all, I commute mostly on road, bike around and over the Pentlands, and hit the 7Stanes trails and nearby natural stuff around Peebles. But i’ve never really cycled around and out of Edinburgh.

Tomorrow i’ve got a friend who just wants to leisurely cycle for the day, out of Edinburgh (they mentioned something beach like, portobello seems too close to me though, but could be a start). I’m looking for an easy days worth of cycling away from traffic and some nice lunch. Any recommendations at all!? 🙂

alexdodd
    Free Member

Probably should have put this in chat on second thoughts :p

ojom
    Free Member

Get thee to Cramond and use the prom there.

Or use the WOL and do a run up to Balerno orJuniper Green for lunch at Woods Deli.

Or a trundle to Gullane and use Falko!

scotroutes

You could follow NCN 1 through the various cycle tracks and out to Dalmeny estate. Follow the coast though and you’ll get a couple of decent beaches. Pass them into South Queensferry where you’ll find pubs (Hawes Inn), cafes and ice cream. You can then take a few other cycle paths back up to Ratho (another pub) and back along the canal in to town. If that sounds like the sort of thing you are after, I could draw up a wee map for you.

alexdodd
    Free Member

Gullane is a good call actually! Probably about the right distance away and lovely beach 🙂

alexdodd
    Free Member

scotroutes I like the sound of that too actually, haha, I realise I’m spoilt for choice around here, i’ve just hilariously never ridden any of these cycle paths, seems rather odd but true!

Ratho is a good call too, could do a spot of climbing whilst were over there… Interesting!

ojom
    Free Member

We are gifted with miles and miles of off road stuff in Edinburgh for leisure riding. It’s great.

alexdodd
    Free Member

Sorry I never replied to this, but would like to thank you! 🙂 Went via crammond, dalmeny park, s.queenferry (stopped for lunch) carried on along the coast, came down via lithlingow (festival on that day) and made out way back via the canal (wasnt a fan of the canal all the way home, a bit laborious especially the peak usage time we it it).

All in all, 50+ miles which she loved, a little over my 20 estimate, but she really enjoyed herself and is more than fit enough to manage that. Out from 11am until 7:30 which included about 3.5 hours work of stops and chilling in the beautiful weather and nice scenery 🙂

So big thanks once again guys, and she wants to get out and do something similar again soon, so maybe i’ve converted her! Next is over the other direction to North Berwick (cycle round there) then Dunbar I suspect, but this time get the train back…

Alex

zeffir
    Free Member

If you’re heading to Dunbar from North Berwick then you might want to include Tyningham, one of the best beaches in East Lothian, coffee shop looks good too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommended Edinburgh recreational cycling?’ is closed to new replies.