Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommendations for a ‘be seen’ helmet light(s) for commuting
  • Premier Icon IHN

Er, as it says really, for a mixed rural/urban commute.

Premier Icon Bez

Do you really think it’ll make a difference?

Premier Icon DrP
    Free Member

I’ve an exposure link +
    It’s brilliant as helmet mounted it has front and rear LEDs – can be flashing or stable..

I like the fact you can ‘look’ at a car to really highlight your presence.

Worth it.

DrP

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Exposure Link, even on low setting.

Also works as emergency “see with” for short rides

Premier Icon mcj78
    Free Member

Another vote for the Link / Link+ – they’re very bright & very noticeable, plus whatever you look at gets lit up like a Christmas tree. Not just a “be seen” helmet light either – on full power it’s as bright as a decent bike mounted setup & will light up the road pretty well too. Not the cheapest but i’d much rather spend £50 or so on a Link than £25/£30 on some of the others out there.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Evans does a small, micro-USB rechargeable, 15-quid, rear light that sits nicely on the back of a helmet using the bodged seatpost QR bracket. This thing:

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-rechargeable-rear-light-15-lumen-EV244786

I quite like it on mixed up lanes / bridleways stuff because it doesn’t get splattered with mud in the same way that the seatpost ones can and I sometimes forget to check that they’re clean rather than cked with mud.

It’s not super bright, but as a supplementary / emergency light it does the job. It’s affordable. And rechargeable using a standard micro USB cable. And the QR attachment is super easy to use when you want to take it off for charging.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

As above, I like the fact that it doesn’t get caked in crap on a cross bike in the same way that a seatpost-mounted light can on mixed road / off-road stuff.

Premier Icon IHN

Well, I thought it might because

Do you not?

FWIW, I use full guards so my frame-mounted lights stay crud free.

Premier Icon lunge

I’ve got these on my helmet front and rear, they weight next to nothing and are bright enough to be seen.

I personally think they make a difference as they are closer to a drivers eye line.

I also try and have lights at a variety of heights on the bike for the same reason.

Premier Icon woots787
    Free Member

When I’m driving and see someone with bike and helmet lights I’m always impressed, I think the vertical line it creates clearly identifies a cyclist. I’ve got a topeak headlux and can’t really recommend it. Cr batteries aren’t great for the environment and the combined nature means you are always compromising rear or front light visibility. Cheap and reliable though and its always good to have spare lights in case one of the main ones fails.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

From a driving perspective I don’t like the flashing ones as an only light on back roads.
    You can see them from way off but then to me they don’t really show its a bike as well when the flashes are slow.

Perhaps its because you don’t see the motion between flashes or just you see it so far in advance…I’m just sayin… seems to distort the distance and make me uncertain is it a bike and where is it?

I also think it’s illegal to not have a steady light (during lighting up hours) … which TBH wouldn’t be my 1st reason as not getting killed at least to me is more important than some law… but perhaps this is why?

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Blinding a driver coming in the other direction is not really conducive to your safety.

Premier Icon lunge

Blinding a driver coming in the other direction is not really conducive to your safety

You’re not trying to do that, you don’t out a mega-lumen light on your helmet, just something with enough power to let the driver know.

From a driving perspective I don’t like the flashing ones as an only light on back roads.

Agree, a combination of flashing and constant on the back is much better IMO.

Premier Icon DrP
    Free Member

the link is a low level constant, with a bright flash (i,e never ‘off’)

DrP

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

the link is a low level constant, with a bright flash (i,e never ‘off’)

I suppose that would work …. honestly just found the only flashing ones seem really bad (obviously not compared to no lights).

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

As a driver I find flashing/pulsing helmet lights like the Link really stand out above the usual mix of headlights at normal level

Premier Icon footflaps

When I’m driving and see someone with bike and helmet any form of bike lights I’m always impressed,

Living in Cambridge, where 60% of cyclists don’t use any lights, the standard is a little lower!

Premier Icon trumpton
    Free Member

wilko has some for a fiver or so. I’ve got one and it’s great. front and back lit. Drivers really notice it as you look at a car.

Premier Icon johnnystorm

Lezyne Macro drive Duo. I’ve got the older version of this, probably 5 years old and only 450 lumens compared to 700 the new one manages. It has the advantage of being able to be both a “bee seen” and “see with” light, usb rechargeable so no reason not to use it all the time if you can charge at work. It was my main light for most of the Tour Divide when my dynamo hub conked out.

https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-macro-drive-duo-700-rechargeable-bike-light-104388.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn8nuBRCzARIsAJcdIfMn2BjteoahY3DYBrHCaE1lRitGeMuw3qzKX50XksFLQRfQklbjVZgaAoasEALw_wcB

Premier Icon pnik

lezyne duo

I’ve got one of these on the commuting helmet. It’s been working pretty well, I like that it’s one unit with a front and rear. Flash or constant you chose.

Premier Icon tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Another for the Exposure Link here, though if I was buying again I might go for the Link+ and get the better battery life, I have found the Link to be relatively short and although the usb charging makes it easy at work, I’ve several other things vying for charging space so would like to have to do it less frequently.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.