Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some waterproof trousers
  • DrJ

I got soaked on my (gravel) ride this morning so I’m thinking of changing my habits and wearing waterproof trousers. Any recommendations? If I was made of money I’d buy the Albion ones (I do like their stuff) but times are tough so cheaper alternatives welcomed.

dyna-ti

Usage ? out on a trail or pottering on a commute ?

Im in the latter category and use a pair I got from Decathlon. Cost 30 quid. Im actually on the 2nd pair, 1st lot were to small and tore at the seat(my fat arse) bought the larger size and very happy with them.

They adjust at the lower leg so you can keep them from becoming part of the drivetrain.

jedi

Fox defend

nickc

The absolute cure is mudguards, but Fox defend for general riding are pretty good (if you fit Fox trousers, I’ve found they’re pretty variable) on the commute then I’ve a pair of Patagonia waterproof walking trousers, knee to hem zip, you can narrow them at the ankle with press studs they’re not massive sweat boxes and they’re pretty much totally waterproof IME

martinhutch

The absolute cure is mudguards

Not this winter.

I have some Royal Racing ones, pretty good, but they don’t tend to last more than a season or two before the grit and water rubs through them. They have sales fairly regularly, wouldn’t pay full price for them.

DrJ

For trail use so I’d like to get something halfway decent. Having said that, I don’t envisage using them *lots*.

How are the sizes on Decathlon? From your post I’m guessing small? For normal outdoor gear I’d expect to get L but for cycling shorts I get XL, as they’re not sized for ordinary folk.

nickc

but they don’t tend to last more than a season or two before the grit and water rubs through them.

My experience with the Decathlon ones being talked about. Fox Defend look more robust at least.

gkeeffe

I like Troy Lee Designs Resist pants. I’ve had them for 2 years and they’re still waterproof

pothead
    Free Member

I like Troy Lee Designs Resist pants

+1, I had a pair of the 1st version of the Fox Ranger 3l waterproofs and they were more comfortable to wear but above the knee was softshell and did get wet through after a few hours, I used them for damp but not raining days until I ripped a large hole in them a few weeks ago. The Troy Lee’s are much more waterproof but not as comfy to wear. Also tried the Decathlons as they were a lot cheaper but found them to be pretty poor compared to the others I’ve mentioned and only wore them once

quentyn

I bought a pair of the endura ones in a sale before Xmas and they work well enough. I used them for MTN biking but they are waterproof and warm

https://www.endurasport.com/mt500-spray-trouser-bottle-green/13952780.html

goldfish24

Troy Lee designs resist got me through this winter. I got them at a bargain price that may not be available now, and I was also wearing them in the cold so could add some tights underneath to avoid the rubberiness. Enjoying not having to wear them now it’s drier here, but still recommended as a properly waterproof trail trouser.

oldfart

Yep TLD Resist 👍

bens
    Free Member

Another TLD Resist recommendation here.

I was worried about the rubbery feel of them at home but in use, it wasn’t noticeable against my legs.

Nice reinforced bits where it matters. Zips on the thighs to let some air in and an an zippered exhaust vent on the rear of the waist band let’s the air out.

Best bit for me was that they’re not 6″ too long like most trousers!

nickingsley
    Free Member

TLD Resist, good quality, waterproof and been used a lot in the last 12 months! Thigh zips handy when it warms up.

On trails I wear  TLD Speed D30 knee pads underneath which are quite slim, so fit well under the trousers. Not used them on real snarl with heavier pads though.

I bought them in a sale 12months ago, RRP is excessive.

Also have an ancient pair of Endura (eVent?) waterproof trousers that refuse to die but v baggy and the waist belt  keeps coming undone …. usually just as I start to descend which is (still)  annoying.

nickingsley
    Free Member

‘snarl’ … typo, but you get the idea!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.