Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me some roof bars and bike racks
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I’m wanting to get some roof bars and bike carriers for my 10plate mondeo. are there any brands that people would recommend? AMD any to stay away from?

I’ve looked up ford bars and 2x Thule 591 carriers and that’s coming to about £250. or some CRUZ ones from roofbox.co.uk come in at £100 for everything.

I want something thats solid and safe but I don’t want to spend a fortune and they won’t get used every weekend or anything like that, maybe only a handful of times a year.

is there any danger in buying bars or carriers secondhand?

Merak

The Cruz stuff is perfectly functional, none of the Thule cache but Ive used both and can recommend Cruz.

warns74
    Free Member

Been using Thule stuff for 10+ years and never had an issue, highly recommend it. Maybe look for some second hand stuff if you can, its pretty indestructable.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’ve used Halfords kit long time: QED what they sold yonks ago was good. The optional locks made a small inprovement to security.

swoosh
    Free Member

Any thoughts on Thule bars?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Got the Atera stuff, works well, cheaper than Thule, looks the same.

Look here for good deals, excellent service etc – http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

EDIT – Just seen your link to roofbox, still worth posting again! 😳

warns74
    Free Member

“Any thoughts on Thule bars?”

Ive had (still have) the basic black box section ones and they have served me well for many years, (and still going). I changed car recently and bought the new aero-wing bars as they were on offer. The T track fitting of the bike carrier works brilliantly and wind noise is very very low.

Merak

swoosh – Member
    Any thoughts on Thule bars?

You can lose as much as 10mpg on a long journey with them on (sans bike)

Given it takes less than 2 mins to remove them, I dont keep them on all the time. Only when Im transporting my bike on the roof. Come to think of it I dont do it that much anymore. I tend to put it in the boot. Becaue of the aforementioned fuel economy issues.

Down with roof bars, save the planet instead.

Nobby

The Cruz bars are great value.

With regard to carriers, I’ve found the Atera Giro as solid as the Thule, quieter & easier to use.

Basil

Thule Outride 651 + Aero bars
    All from Ebay second hand.
    Great quality and work very well for the last four years.
    Can drive very fast with no wobbly bike problems.
    Can get four bikes on the roof of a golf. Put the front wheels in wheel bags and put seat post through bag handles so everything is on the roof.

Holmesey
    Free Member

I have Thule aerobars for a Mazda 6 (06) which are now surplus to requirement. come with mounting bolts/footpacks. If they fit your Mondeo you can have em for a decent bottle of Malt. I’ll look up the model numbers and stuff tomorrow.

coupled with locking Halfords bike racks, they have been great and perform well at all speeds.

Holmesey

althepal

Holmesey, due to an expanding family I’m trying to sort out some cheap roofbars at the mo, coincidently, I also have a decent bottle of malt going spare just now. I was looking at cheaper bars online as thule were out of our price range..
    Would you be willing to come to an agreement at all? I know the mazda and Ford attachements are similar.
    Cheeky I know, but was searching on here to see if anyone was selling any cheap bars and this thread came up. Have a roofbox at the mo but need someway to mount it so we can use it for an upcoming holiday next month.
    Email in profile if you’re interested.
    Ta.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Will have some cruz roof bars and 2 Atera giro AF carriers for sale at the end of the month …. less than 2 months old (recipt to prove) and one bike carrier has only been used once ! (Honc) … the other carrier been used 4 times !
    Bars are currently fitted to a Citroen C4 but its only the feet pack you need to buy to change over, and my reason for selling it all so quick, is we have just ordered a new car and cant fit roof bars too it and so have to have a towbar fitted ..

gdub923
    Free Member

I got my roof bars and feet on ebay. Def worth a look as you would be surprised how cheap the new stuff was

This is also a great site for all things roof and bike moving
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/

And I have used this ebay company a few times.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fit-your-own-towbars-Towequipe

althepal

Cheers stumpy and gdub. Been on roofbox and saw the cheap ones.. That’s what we’re prob going to go for.
    Had a look at that eBay shop and all a bit too dear! Not much local on eBay apart from the basic sets and still got delivery..
    I’d just did a quick search on here to see if there was anything in the offing, saw this thread and thought I’d ask holmsey as I do genuinely have a coupla decent malts in the house just now and would have saved a few quid..
    Really appreciate your help though- ta much.

aracer
    Free Member

is there any danger in buying bars or carriers secondhand?

Not as far as I’m concerned – I bought my Thule square bars on ebay s/h for about half the cost of new ones. On which thought, if you’re on a budget don’t bother with aero or wing bars – they won’t save you any money or be any quieter when you’ve got bike racks attached and bikes loaded on.

althepal

Cheers aracer- having an email chat with holmesey at the mo but if that doesn’t pan out the plan is to go with the basic cruz bars which are square. Not using cycle carriers (yet), the issue is we went away on a day trip last weekend and the babies pram and bag took up a fair whack of the boot so carrying a weeks worth of holiday stuff would be too tight for four of us we reckon. Sourced a cheap roofbox but still have to get bars but hopefully that’ll happen soon.
    Cheers for the advice though.

matther01
    Free Member

Automaxi bars and Thule carriers – £49.99 for bars (inc postage) and if you use the discount code with AllenFord parts you could get 5% or 7% off (using either SUM2012 or TWO412) on the carriers so probably £120 = Total £170(ish)

Did exactly this with one Thule carrier and bars last year and bought another Thule last week using one of the codes (sorry can’t remember which works!).

Edit – I lied… the roof bars for a Mondeo are £69.95 (I have a Peugeot)

althepal

Way out of our budget mate but ta.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some roof bars and bike racks’ is closed to new replies.