• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by 100psi.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me some MTB shoes for pushing my bike in :-)
  • DrJ

Getting back into biking after a long (too long) layoff. Back in the mists of time I had some Shimano shoes that were a bit like light walking boots (not the waterproof ones), that were suited to Scottish riding that included (for me) a fair bit or pushing :-). Now I can’t see them still sold. Nearest seems to be MT7. So – any recommended shoes to look at? The ones I had were a good fit for my wide feet – much better than the ones I had to buy in GoSport on the way to Les Gets when I realised I’d left them at home!

DrT
    Free Member

If you are thinking of the old MT90/91 then the modern version is the XM9 boot, or XM7 for a shoe.

DrJ

That were them! Perfect! Thanks!

Fat-boy-fat

I was a committed MT90/XM9 wearer fir many years. However, I moved over to ME9 shoes a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. Easy to walk in but weigh a fraction of the boots, and nowhere near as much heel rub. Way easier to live with apart from the depths of winter when my old man winter boots come out.

nickc

There’s a GR9 and an ME7, I’ve got he ME7 and they’ll do me for most things from a couple of days in the bike park to some serious (for me) hike a bike bits. They’re pretty much perfect MTB shoes.

pnik

I’m in the same boat, wide feet shimano boots for years. I have the mt5 (non gore version) and the me7 I think. Pretty good both use the same sole so same fit, but I got huuuge blisters on helvellyn a few weeks ago with the mt5. Normally riding been fine but not so much on the hike a bike stuff. Ymmv as they say, but wished I’d used some hiking socks with a double layer to reduce the friction.

Correction mw5 not mt5 above. Sorry

bruneep

https://mtb.shimano.com/uk/gear/footwear/sh-me702

Anyone comment on sizing and the toe box on the ME702, last time I tried shimano I found them too narrow on the toes.

Normally use northwave as they have a wider toe box but sizes are somewhat limited just now

johnnystorm

Non shimano suggestion:

Five Ten Trailcross

fossy

Ddon’t get the MW5 or 7 they have a stiff sole (which i prefer).

Fat-boy-fat

ME7 is what I meant. Quite a roomy toe box for me. No pinch at all

duncancallum

Vaude….

100psi
    Free Member

The new specialized Recon shoes are really good for hike a bike. They have a stiff sole where required but have a flex section just behind the toes. I have a pair and use them in the lakes. They are very comfortable and I find them great for my riding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.