Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • recommend me an electric shower …
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Bit OT but getting fed up with Triton showers only lasting a few months beyond their warranty, anyone with recommendations for a replacement: currently a 9.5 Kw rated shower with just a cold water feed, used a fair bit by two young boys (thankfully) 😆 – any suggestions? Thanks

DHS

toys19
    Free Member

mira

Marko

Mira Super sport.

And when it goes wrong you can buy the parts….

Hth
    Marko

tron
    Free Member

What everyone else said. Mira. Highest rating you can get – I think that's around 13kw.

alanl
    Free Member

Don't fit a 13kw shower unless you have the proper sized cable for it. Make sure your cable can handle such a load before fitting such a shower, as otherwise you may be getting some unexpected burning.
    Alan.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

A 13KW shower would draw approx 56Amps, subject to the actual voltage at our house. A 10mm cable the standard shower cable will not carry that current. I don't have my current carrying capacity tables to hand so can't give you the exact figures.

Mira do seem to be good though. Have fitted an 8.5KW shower that was far better than the Redring one it replaced.

What size cable is supplying the shower?

tron
    Free Member

Don't fit a 13kw shower unless you have the proper sized cable for it.

Surely that goes without saying! IIRC the 13.5kw shower never actually are – they work out the rating for 240V, and we run on 230. At the end of the day, the amount of water you get out of an electric shower is almost always limited by the power rating of the shower. So get a big one!

A proper thermostatic mixer shower running off a decent combi will make any electric look like a bad joke in comparison.

MrNutt
    Free Member

in my experience all electric showers are shit.

toys19
    Free Member

nahh mira ones are pretty good, prefer a combi powered one, but if you dont have a combi….

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Other way round tron 🙂
    They work it out on 220 or 230v. But we're still on 240, so the current is slightly lower. 10.8kw is the largest generally available. Strictly speaking, anything over 8kw should be on a 10mm cable, although a lot of old showers are happily using 6mm.
    I've seen a few burnt cables though when diyers and plumbers have retro fitted a bigger one

Oh, and what they all said. Mira, they cost a lot more, but operate better and last a long long time.

toys19
    Free Member

Also mira have quality warranty dept.
    One of mine died 7 months after fitting, a mira technician came round an fitted a new element or whatever it was no bother happy days.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Do you have a combi or regular boiler? If it's a combi, it's well worth fitting a cheap thermostatic mixer. Inc fitting, would probably still be cheaper than a good electric unit

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Mira Super Sport, as said above. Simple to use, but very clever on the inside (I know a shower designer at Mira ;-).

As Toys says, warranty is VERY good – helped enourmously if you keep the orginal receipt in a safe place….. If you're in a hard water area and use it alot, don't expect the heating element to last more than 3 or so years, but they are easy to replace.

As an aside, I hear that the piping and electrical fittings and locations are being standardised over each model 'range', so even if choose to replace it in a few years you should be able to bolt the latest model straight to the wall without redrilling the fixings or moving the pipes around.

Oh, yeah, and a mixer will be better if you have a combi. Mira Combiflow (IIRC) is good and good value.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How odd that sandars registered today and then speaks so highly of Gainsborough Showers, the best shower shop in the world….

FuzzyWuzzy

My advertising spidey sense is flashing…

plumbob

Same here with Gainsborough and Triton, not impressed….

Now have Selectronic one of these, http://www.redringshowers.co.uk Which is fab in comparison, with 3yr warranty as well..

PB

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an electric shower …’ is closed to new replies.