Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • recommend me an axe
  • tang
    Free Member

after a good handheld chopper. got an old big thing from my dad, want a smaller sharp one for kindling duties

alexonabike

Granfors – Small Forest Axe if you want a quality item.

nickhart
    Free Member

i'd go to this website don't go looking for the company on google though!
    they do delivery to the uk and their catalogue is free and is worth shelf space for any self respecting man!

CountZero

I've got a Granförs small hand axe, and it's a lovely bit of kit, but I'd go for a Roselli from Finland as a more all-round tool. Shaped as a bearded axe, you can get your fingers around the head behind the blade for slicing or wood whittling, and the blade edge is fairly thick, so using another chunk of wood on the back makes it a perfect tool for splitting logs for firewood. Lovely design, and a well made tool.
    See here: http://www.worldknives.com/products/roselli-hand-forged-hatchett-axe-small-r860-371.html

JulianA
    Free Member

I'm sure WCA can help…

tang
    Free Member

dick fine tools! great link! roselli, nice. a whole world of hatchets…

Starrman28
    Free Member

Igot into a fight in Bristol with someone called Axe, he was pretty good and gave us a good kicking……..

tang
    Free Member

bristol? just down the road, mail me an address and ill get him over to do some chopping.

Northwind

Gransfors make a very good splitting hatchet, for what you describe I'd just get that, it's ace- quite broad to help the split, and heavy for its size. If you want something more of an allrounder their small forest axe is nice too, it's not as good for breaking up kindling but it's very versatile.

tang
    Free Member

axe throwing! while delving further i find this!

ratadog

+1 for Gransfors Bruks small forest axe, hunt around and you can find them for around 45 -50ukp

tang
    Free Member

yup looks good

waynekerr
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a Les Paul Standard, but realised you mean an axe 😳

tankslapper
    Free Member

Granfors Bruks as stated or something by Fiskars

Drac
    smiffy

Smaller choppers are crap for kindling, I gave mine away. Due to the low weight you have to swing them a bit. With a 4lb felling axe you can slice bible leaves off a straight-grained piece whilst barely lifting it and dropping under it's own weight.

daveob
    Free Member

And another for the gransfors. I went for the huntsman one.

Drac

4lb Axe that's for girls.

headfirst
    Free Member

I need a smaller axe (ie. a hatchet?) for same reason as OP, looked at all the links, but how about this for a modern, even 'bikey' aesthetic?

mmmm…carbon…

tankslapper
    Free Member

headfirst, nice but I would question the shock absorption capabilities over a hickory or ash handle – same with fibreglass / polyurethane handles.

john_drummer
    Free Member

oh, that kind of axe.

thought you meant one of these:

😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/ecom_product_list.html?catid=2

hoping to go and have a look in their shop soon.

ourmaninthenorth

I was all for getting a Gransfors or other decent axe – indeed, I still am – but expediency took over in the short term, and I settled for a £10 fibre handled hatchet from B&Q.

Since all I'm doing is re-sizing already shopped wood, it will do the job for the time being. I will, however, invest in a decent axe made by a man called Sven and love it and care for it. But, right now, I need to get the fire going, and so the cheapo one will have to do.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘recommend me an axe’ is closed to new replies.