Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me an Aberdeenshire camp site…
  • Waderider
    Free Member

We’re off work next week, so are planning a trip to somewhere in the part of Scotland forecast to be driest, which is Aberdeenshire.

Looking to put a big family tent up on one good campsite and use it as a base, want good laundry and showering facilities etc. plus all the impossibles like no other campers and no midges. Any recommendations, not a part of the world I know well.

Thanks.

StuE
    Free Member
    bruneep

Shire covers a rather large area. Any rough ideas?
    Up deeside would be recommendation.
    Avoid coming into Aberdeen as offshore Europe exhibition is on it will be the usual mayhem

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo & I stayed in a nice campsite in the middle of Ballater next to the river on our C2C ride. Loads of riding and walking on your doorstep. Oh and you can get a latte at 7am in the village now.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

I would second Ballater. PLenty to do around and about, both walking and riding.
    Also nice: Alford – Houghton park is pretty nice though less riding near by.

sparksmcguff

The Ballater campsite is council run and is well kept. My dad used it regularly and liked it. Lots of good riding in and around Ballater. The guys at cycle highlands have some good maps. As others have said Aberdeenshire covers a big area and lots of different terrain. If you are coming up from Perth you could also try Braemar.

Waderider
    Free Member

I know Ballater, nice campsite. Sorry, should have been clearer, trip shall be as much about tourist cycling around the wee fishing villages as the mountains, so was wanting to be more towards Fraserburgh.

I have no idea because I have done lots of Cairngorms stuff but never gone much further North East than Mount Keen.

bruneep

Lossiemouth?

metalheart
    Free Member

Cullen or Sandend?

metalheart
    Free Member

so was wanting to be more towards Fraserburgh.

Are you quite sure about that?

😉

kcal

Would have said Sandend too. Quiet, well run.
    Not sure how much laundry you can do there but if weather is good, it can be really good.

Sandend/Cullen (as above) would put you bang on for access to the fishing villages of which you speak..

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks guys, went to Sandend, very nice it was too 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

Good man! Can listen to advice too :mrgreen:

Tis a beautiful spot. And you must have got some good weather too, no?

Great little beach.

Waderider
    Free Member

Great weather….that’s why we went. Day cycle exploring the coast to Pennan (oh the bloody braes), two coastal walks and a bottle of red with the wife at Findlater Castle watching the sunset.

kcal

excellent. you headed out just before the big rain overnight, result!

metalheart
    Free Member

Ah yes the coastal path to Cullen is great. Such a lovely place (in the fine weather especially).

Bottle of wine at Findlater watching the sunset sounds the business.

Nice that it went well 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Aberdeenshire camp site…’ is closed to new replies.