Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me a Torque Wrench
  • valley
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking to buy a Torque Wrench for bike dutie’s what do you’s recommend does it have to be bike Specific or something from Sealey etc thanks

tragically1969
    Free Member

What does a bike specific torque wrench look like ?

valley
    Free Member

I Meant one from Park Tools or Pedro’s etc or this one from Giant http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/partsaccessories/product/tool.shed.torque.wrench/1385/30885/

Cougar

*gets the popcorn*

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you really want one just get any make you fancy that goes down to 5nm and is 1\4″ drive, personally i wouldn’t bother with one.

clubber
    Free Member

Bucket sized coke to go with it?

Not going to get involved.

grimey
    Free Member

Any torque wrench will do so long as its range is around 2-25Nm.

That will cover pretty much everything (apart from bottom brackets, crank bolts, axle nuts and anything that needs to be properly tight). Generally anything that you need to be careful with you can tighten with a lower range torque wrench.

I found surpisingly cheap ones from people like X-Tools and Ice Toolz that seem good quality. Might be worth a look.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

tragically1969 – Member
    What does a bike specific torque wrench look like ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29424

tragically1969
    Free Member

@ Rusty Shackleford

Nope, sorry, that’s just a torque wrench with some marketing spiel about it being bike specific, you will be trying to tell me there are bike specific Allen keys next.

psychle
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Use these!!!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Gary,

I’ve got one of the BBB ones which you’re welcome to borrow for a bit if you want. Pretty cheap but seems to get the job done nicely and it always “feels” right, if you know what I mean.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29803

Cheers,

SC

grumm
    Free Member

No point.

Cougar

Al,

… fixed that for you.

clubber
    Free Member

How would a cock help tighten bolts?

nuts maybe but… 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

tragically1969 – Member
    @ Rusty Shackleford

Nope, sorry, that’s just a torque wrench with some marketing spiel about it being bike specific, you will be trying to tell me there are bike specific Allen keys next.

Cougar

More seriously,

I do understand the oft-lauded idea that “feel” is better than a torque wrench, etc etc. But without some means of measuring in the first place, how are you expected to build up that experience?

As an analogy, I’ve been driving for long enough now that I’ve a pretty good idea of how fast I’m going, give or take, without constantly gazing at the speedo. However, I’ve gained that experience by driving for 20 years with a speedo in front of me. I could probably drive quite happily without a speedometer now, but I wouldn’t be going “ZOMG what do you need a speedo for!!!1!! L2drive noob lol” any time anyone asked “what speedo should I buy?”(*) questions, because it’s a critical part of the learning procedure.

Or am I missing something here?

(* – ok, I’ve had better analogies, work with me here)

tragically1969
    Free Member

@ Rusty Shackleford

Nope, you see you seem to be confused, just because its made by Park or others does not make it bike specific, they are just T handled Allen keys, you can buy them from Snap-On, does that make them car specific ?

grumm
    Free Member

I do understand the oft-lauded idea that “feel” is better than a torque wrench, etc etc. But without some means of measuring in the first place, how are you expected to build up that experience?

I did it just by guessing when I built my bike – never stripped any threads or had anything fall off yet.

julianwilson
    Free Member

@ Tragically 1969

My ‘non bike specific’ allen key set includes 5.5mm and 7mm keys. I have found a bolt on my old fiesta’s brakes that takes a 7m key but i really have never waved the 5.5 and 7mm near anything on a bike. Actually never used the 5.5 one at all…

Wouldn’t it be good if someone made a t-handled set of just the ones you actually need for a bike? 😕

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Guys,

if you re-read the original request it says “recommend me a torque wrench”. It doesn’t say “subject me to a tiresome litany of half-arsed whining opinions about whether or not I need to use a torque wrench”.

Does that clarify things?

Good. As you were.

[EDIT – not aimed at everyone on the thread, but if the cap fits…]

julianwilson
    Free Member

errr, yeah, anything that goes down to 2mn then. Chances are that at £40ish they will all be of a very similar standard or even re-branded versions of the same one anyway. I have seen my ice toolz one with various other stickers on the case.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

@ tragically1969

Sorry fella, I’m just being a bell-end.

grumm
    Free Member

if you re-read the original request it says “recommend me a torque wrench”. It doesn’t say “subject me to a tiresome litany of half-arsed whining opinions about whether or not I need to use a torque wrench”.

Ah! Knew I should have read the OP properly. 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

OMG I am so sorry I will kill myself shortly.

I do understand the oft-lauded idea that “feel” is better than a torque wrench

From what you have posted, you don’t at all.

Cougar

Well, feel free to explain rather than being smug and unhelpful.

t-p26
    Free Member

Torque wrench? bikes? GET A **** LIFE!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Norbar SLO around £80ish

mrmo
    Free Member

this for carbon bars

and your head for everything else.

RustyNissanPrairie
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Gary, I’ve got a couple of torque wrenches if you need to borrow one. Norbars are good, but I have a Britool one too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i got this one about a year ago from machinemart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht604

think its about 40quid delivered, its been superb, ranges from 2nm – 10nm though mine goes from 2-12nm AFAIK…..

great quality, gives an almighty click when torque reached, one year of use and nothing has snapped off yet….one year before and i had numerous shearded bolts/rounded heads etc from over tightening, so if you are like me in that respect its a must! been a cracking buy!

tragically1969
    Free Member

Sorry fella, I’m just being a bell-end.

Gathered that,so was I 😆

Macavity
    Free Member

Norbar make some decent / accurate torque wrenches.
    But the difference between the tightness of a dry bolt and a lubricated (greased) bolt for the same torque is so great that it is still guess work what torque setting to use.

Tiger6791

just get one off ebay for £30

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Torque Wrench’ is closed to new replies.