• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a road / touring / cx frame with rack mounts
  • slowboydickie

I need to get a larger frame (61-62) and hoped someone might recommend me a frame or bike because the Pompino only comes in a 58 and I am ignorant of what else is good. Steel preferred and with single speed or geared. Nothing too bling though.

Thanks
    Rich

ton

surly disc trucker is very good value.

faustus

XL Pinnacle Arkose 3 frame for £110 on Evans. Not steel but it is very tough, i only ever had steel before but didn’t regret it. Full rack mounts and full disc. Has a tapered headtube but you can get a hope crown reducer, and I got a cheap set of 29er disc wheels from Merlin. It’s a very versatile bike and strong enough for off roading and light touring. I’m 6’2″ and the XL fits perfectly, was comfortable on a recent trip to the Alps for a week, even on 100mile Marmotte route slog! Having discs is so much more confidence inspiring than calipers too…and look better. Nice muted frame colour/decals too. I looked at steel frame options and they were heavy or poor value in comparison. Hope that helps…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m currently lusting after a Singular Peregrine. The EBB looks like a really neat solution to chain slack. I’m a bit worried about he positioning of the rack mounts though…

shermer75
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

XL Pinnacle Arkose 3 frame for £110 on Evans. Not steel but it is very tough, i only ever had steel before but didn’t regret it. Full rack mounts and full disc. Has a tapered headtube but you can get a hope crown reducer

Have you got a link for the head reducer? I was looking at that frame, but it’s 1.25 at the bottom and all the reducers I could find were 1.5. What fork did you use?

faustus

If it’s a 1.1/8th steerer then the Hope HS136 is the one you want – googling will give you some shopping options. It is actually a 1.5″ at the bottom, as I initially used it with an on-one pompetamine disc fork, and the reducer worked perfectly with a standard internal tapered headset (IS 42 upper bearing, IS 52 Lower bearing). I then got a second hand carbon boardman fork for it, and the taper was 1.1/8th – 1.25″, and i didn’t know there were two taper types. As you say, there are no reducers for 1.25 and it caused me hell, in the end i carefully filed down the inside of the hope reducer. That’s the one downside of getting the frame, as the tapered headtube gives limited options for tapered forks with a road axle to crown.

Aside from that, it’s a really nice bike to ride and not too harsh at all. It’ll build into a light tourer/heavy road bike/cross of about 22-23lbs depending on budget. I’d post a picture of the bike if I knew how!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Soma Double Cross or a Genesis Day One?

ransos
    Free Member

If it’s a 1.1/8th steerer then the Hope HS136 is the one you want – googling will give you some shopping options. It is actually a 1.5″ at the bottom, as I initially used it with an on-one pompetamine disc fork,

Thanks for the info. Evans are telling porkies on their site, as they say it’s a 1.25!

So my shopping list would be Hope reducing ring, tapered headset (is it integrated or internal?) and a standard 1 1/8th disc fork?

letmetalktomark

Registering interest …. That Singular looks awesome ^^^^

faustus

It seems they are, as i’ve measured and re-measured the bearing seats and internal diameters to get what i needed, Here’s an answer from the staff on the Evans website: “Yes, it’s a 1 ½ bottom and 1 1/8 top, 45 degree integrated bearings. 42/52mm bearing external diameter with 28.6/40mm internal diameter. 46mm / 56mm head tube external diameter”

That’s right,the hope adapter is best, I got an integrated (def no cups, just bearings that sit in the frame) M:part Elite tapered headset from evans (about £30) – the joy of not having to fit a headset! A standard 1:1/8th fork gives plenty of options, like the Salsa Vaya fork or On-one/Planet-X offerings. There’s also the option of finding a full carbon tapered steerer fork if you have the budget (Kinesis CXD or a chinese job from Ali express for £110 if you’re brave), but they don’t have rack mounts and may not be tough enough. Also worth seeing what ebay brings up, I got my BB5 road calipers and fork very cheaply..

Sam

I’m a bit worried about he positioning of the rack mounts though…

That is the V1 Peregrine pictured, the new ones are much lower, just above the disc mount. Out of stock of XL though 🙁

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Surly Trucker, disc or normal at your preference.

Sam

Bizarrely I do have lots of XL Ospreys left – can do you a killer deal on one of those if they take your fancy….

slowboydickie

Looks beautiful but I am probably looking something a bit more industrial. Thinking about a surly long haul trucker, has a nice long head tube so could be quite comfy on the back.

ton

my bars a 2” higher than my seat on the disc trucker…..comfiest I have ever been on a bike.

seat is lower now, bars a tad higher

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a road / touring / cx frame with rack mounts’ is closed to new replies.