Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a photo hosting site that isn't flickr
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

What’s best?

I’ve been perfectly happy with flickr for 7 years or so but seeing as it no longer works with Opera I need something else. Don’t mind paying a similar amount as a flickr pro account.

leffeboy

If you are happy to pay a bit more than flickr pro then I can recommend SmugMug . I’ve used them for about 5 years now for work and really like them but they may be a bit pricey for home use 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Picasa.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

photobucket

Stoner
    Free Member

2nd Picasa.

Picasa local software and picasaweb online work very well.

I’ve never been into the whole flickr=facebook community rubbish, I just need an online hoster.

bol

Photobucket works for me. Good iPhone ap too, and dead easy to post pics from onto here.

Cougar

I quite like Picasaweb too.

I shifted from Flickr eons ago when it started wanting money off me, Picasaweb didn’t have the same restrictons that Flickr’s free account did. I had a quick look at whatever Kodak’s offering is, seemed reasonable but convoluted (and used horrific URLs).

May be outdated info now though, it’s a long old time since I last looked at options.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I use Picasa on the desktop already so that might be easiest.

I already have a Photobucket account, it’s a pile of poo.

How easy is upload to smugmug? Can you tag/title etc before upload?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

if you just want to use it for hosting pics for forums and for family to view your latest hols, then I started to use photobucket once I’d used up my free flickr space. As long as you don’t have massive files (RAW or HD Vid) then you should be able to download hundreds of pics and vids to photobucket before using up all your free space.
    EDIT: why do you think photobucket is poo?

Stoner
    Free Member

picasa syncs nicely with my other google stuff too. Since I let google cup my balls online for just about everything, having single sign-ons and one click uploading from my android makes life much easier.

EDIT incl you tube for video too.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I want somewhere to upload photos full size as an extra online backup and for sharing, posting on forums etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You’ll be paying for that level of service.

Cougar

You want to upload full-size photos for posting on forums? Are you sure?

donsimon
    Free Member

How easy is upload to smugmug? Can you tag/title etc before upload?

more or less on a par with SmugMug is http://zenfolio.com/.
    I’m not sure exactly what you mean by tag/title before uplolading, but if you’re coming from Flickr then the answer is yes as the tagging titling is done when downloading the card.
    Zenfolio also allows you to put detailed descriptions for your pics.
    Zenfolio works very well on a seo level if you’re selling pics.
    Full size image can be stored and resolution decreased for display purposes.
    There’s a 2 week free test period to have a play around with.
    Unlike Flickr, the Zenfoloio support team is superb, same day replies to emails, questions answered with answers and not more questions like the flickr numpties.
    You can transfer you own web address and there are plenty of pages for customising and building Zenfolio as you own website.
    I’m very fussy and I’m happy with Zenfolio. 😀
    And now with added discount if you use this code: 9DQ-FX3-DQC

ebygomm
    Free Member

I don’t want to post full size pics on forums, but I want something where I can upload full size pics and then post smaller versions to a forum which is possible with Flickr.

I know it’s likely to be a paid for service hence the qualifier “I don’t mind paying for it” in the op

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think Zenfolio will allow you to post the pic to a forum, just a link to the pic in the gallery. Which I think is better for the security of the picture. No right click and save as in Zenfolio, easy to right click and save as from a forum, even though you’re talking about areduced resolution photo it is easier to take. I am also aware that screenshot exists for those who are determined to steal. 😳

Live and learn… Apparently you can publish the pics on forums. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Can someone write an app that can open windows containing instances of different web browsers? So you can say browse with Opera by default but you can configure a certain site to open with IE, but still on a tab in the same window?

Should be possible, as I’m sure all browser windows are ActiveX objects (or whatever the current Windows thing is).

ebygomm
    Free Member

Seems like the opera bugs have been sorted overnight so may not need to flounce away from Flickr after all 🙂

andytherocketeer

Thought Google did that? Chrome (Webkit) rendering in IE. I use chrome directly, so don’t know how that worked.

I use flickr but only for the photo a day type stuff because of the vague attempt at web two oh social type stuff. No way will I pay to be able to see more than 200 of my pics though! But you can cheat by creating private groups, and making sure all pics are in at least 1 group, and then you can see all of your photos (just not in the stream).

For everything else, I use Picasaweb. Lets me organise things my way, and still lets me hotlink to forums etc (edit: at various sizes). And gives me way more than 200 viewable pics for free.

ski
    Free Member

Does Picasa offer a paided service with unlimited storage like Flickr chargable flickr-pro service?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a photo hosting site that isn't flickr’ is closed to new replies.