Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Recommend me a Hiking waterproof jacket
  • nickc

I just couldn’t imagine doing anything other than really mellow Z2 in something like an Alta, and even then it’d have to be really cold and continuously wet, (which IME is very very few days a year) and even then layering is still my prefered option. Currently hard shell of choice is a Montane Pac Plus

I think at what £300? for a jacket that (for me at least) would be quite condition specific, doesn’t represent good value. I appreciate that for others that may be different.

walowiz

Quick update, bought two.

The berghaus cornice 1a gore tex jacket as I know it fits, it’s near their top of the range, it’s slightly discounted and a few posters above thought it ok for the money and rated berghaus and didn’t think they were totally rubbish. Which at this point will do, when I’ve got more time, I can try out more – I did like the ME kit, just the only two the shop had were just the wrong fit for me.

And I bought this on a bit of a whim, a Keela Stratus Jacket reduced to £100.

Whichever fits best stays, the other gets returned.

Now I need a fleece to go under it, my one remaining fleece is not designed to be worn as any kind of layer !

montgomery
    Free Member

Where did you get a Stratus for £100?

andydt82

I’ve just bought an ME Garwhal – happy with paclite as only intending to use it in proper rain rather than as an all-day jacket. Not used it in any serious conditions yet, but fit is pretty good. Accidentally tried on a different ME jacket that was on the same rack and agree with previous comment, their sizing seems very inconsistent. A bit ‘crinkly’ but I can get used to it.

Hopefully this’ll last better than my previous Pertex Shield+ jacket which despite being 3-layer still delaminated after 5 years of mostly light use (although I did wear it for the Spine Challenger which probably shortened its life somewhat).

Spin
    Free Member

Accidentally tried on a different ME jacket that was on the same rack and agree with previous comment, their sizing seems very inconsistent.

The sizing and cut will be different depending on the intended usage. So a jacket for winter climbing will be bigger than one for running to allow for extra layers.

walowiz

@montgomery

Where did you get a Stratus for £100

Stratus jacket

It’s arrived and haven’t tested its waterproofness, but it is a lovely jacket – really nice blue, and a great fit for me with a couple of thin layers underneath. Haven’t got a fleece type base layer yet to try, but reckon it’ll fit easily enough.

Prefer it to the berghaus if I’m honest. Can’t really comment on quality differences between the two, they both seem pretty good, the berghaus having goretex is the main difference I guess.

ElShalimo

@walowiz – check the after-care/washing instructions on both. Some jackets are a pain to keep in good condition. For example, when eVent first came out it was hailed as being the best waterproof ever etc. etc.

In reality it had to be washed and re-proofed about every month so it was a nightmare to own

Spin
    Free Member

For example, when eVent first came out it was hailed as being the best waterproof ever etc. etc.

In reality it had to be washed and re-proofed about every month so it was a nightmare to own

I had one and it was shite. After about 6 months is was basically a heavy and expensive windproof.

walowiz

@ElShalimo

@walowiz – check the after-care/washing instructions on both. Some jackets are a pain to keep in good condition. For example, when eVent first came out it was hailed as being the best waterproof ever etc. etc.

Bugger, sent the berghaus back, as the Keela one fit so well. I’ve checked the label and website and it says machine wash, but not to reproof it, and it uses their sdp – system dual protection, whatever that actually is.

Unless I’m missing something it does rely on dwr for the waterproofing.

Slightly second guessing sending the bankably waterproof gore Tex coat back.

ElShalimo

@Spin – I had a bloody Rab Super Dru or whatever it was called. It was as waterproof as a tea bag after a few trips on the hills. Several friends had the same issue with eVent coats from Rab, Montane and other makes.

🤦

Spin
    Free Member

Several friends had the same issue with eVent coats from Rab, Montane and other makes.

Think mine was Montane. In the end I wasn’t even convinced it was windproof never mind waterproof.

andydt82

Several friends had the same issue with eVent coats from Rab, Montane and other makes.

Strangely I was very happy with eVent, no issues with my Rab Latok Alpine and got 10 years of use out of it before it got too leaky (mainly from the seam tape coming away)

scruff9252

Strangely I was very happy with eVent, no issues with my Rab Latok Alpine and got 10 years of use out of it before it got too leaky (mainly from the seam tape coming away)

This is a common theme – also shared on sailing forums.

I’ve had older waterproofs last 10+ years too, namely my old Musto; still waterproof after circa 20 years. The replacement Musto jacket bought at same spec /level  ~7 years ago failed after two sailing seasons.

Supposedly a certain chemical has changed in waterproofs and waterproofs made after this point tend to fail very early. I have spent thousands(!) of pounds in recent years trying to find waterproofs for various summer /winter outdoor sports – few of which have made it through a second season.

I scared myself at the start of winter just past up on Glenshee skiing – stayed warm/comfortable all day but when I got back to the car I realised I was wet right though. Just one stumble and twisted ankle/knee and it would have been a different outcome.

in response I bought a winter weight waterproof was a new (but ex MOD) camouflage hideous thing made of heavy duty goretex. I’m hopeful that whilst I’ll look like a bushcraft bellend whilst wearing it, I will at least stay dry. It’s too heavy duty for summer use though

reeksy

Predictably since looking at this thread i’m getting adverts.

Anyone had any Stellar Equipment jackets? They’ve got a spendy Ultralight jacket that could be interesting…

M Ultralight Shell Jacket 2.0

aldo56
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Rab Event shell – it’s absolutely bomb proof but really isn’t very breathable. You build up a serious sweat on the inside quite easily. This is my dog walking jacket for winter – normally the pace is low due to my dog being a keen sniffer…

I also have a North Face Gore active shell jacket which I use for hillwalking, winter MTB and climbing. MUCH more breathable but maybe not quite as protective or durable.

I do wonder if a Gore proshell jacket would be the holy grail but I’ve yet to find the £400 to try it…

walowiz

Quick update on using the Keela Stratus for 8 days in the bitterly cold of south Iceland.

Impressed with the jacket, enough room to have up to 3 inner layers on, zips all worked well using gloves, on the peninsula temps were down to -8, with 50 kmh winds and with just a thermal and thin ish fleece I was able to brave the elements. Hood works really well, even with a wooden hat underneath and doesn’t flap about like so many do.

It’s also quite light, which I really liked.

Tested its waterproofing (multiple times) and no water came through, even with standing behind a waterfall.

The pockets are well thought out too, the side pockets are just about the right size and maybe I just haven’t had a “proper” coat for a while, but the pockets on the arm and inside the main zip were really useful for keys, essentials, cards etc.

Don’t know how it’ll hold up long term, but from this I’d recommend it.

matt_outandabout

I do wonder if a Gore proshell jacket would be the holy grail but I’ve yet to find the £400 to try it…

I’ve had ME ProShell before – it did 4 years of outdoor instructor life. It was very durable and waterproof – but noticeable drop off in breathability as it got grubby, despite ‘proper’ soap flake and reproof attempts. Very crinkly too.

It was followed by Berghaus Lite Hike in thier own Hydroshell Elite – which was nearly as durable, more breathable and near silent.

IMO, the performance gap between top end OEM fabrics and various Gore fabrics has narrowed.

That said, it is better, just diminishing returns.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.