Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a gravel/forrest road route near Oban … calling Scotroutes!
  • stooo
    Free Member

I’m heading up to Taynuilt with the family next weekend, for a wee break. I’m planning on putting the Stoater in the car and fancy a nice 50 to 70 mile jaunt. There’s a few nice road routes around there, but I fancy something a little more ‘out there’ if there’s any good options. I’ll be putting some 35mm Fast CX tyres on, so I can handle a bit of rough road.

Anyone got any recommendations?

scotroutes

Glen Kinglass.

Train to Tyndrum.
    Ride the WHW to Victoria Bridge.
    Head West.
    Turn South at Loch Etive

“Only” 54km but will keep your attention

If you want to make it a bigger day out you could always cycle from Taynuilt, along Glen Orchy to Bridge of Orchy. IIRC there used to be MTB trails marked in the forest along Glen Orchy but I think they’ve been out of use for years.

Nice views too..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e1HthU]P1050319[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

stooo
    Free Member

I think I’ve ridden that, years ago…. have a vague memory that it gets pretty rocky along there though. OK on the stoater, or one for the 29er?

I don’t have a fat bike …… yet.

Nice pic mate!

scotroutes

IIRC, there’s 4-5km in the middle section (after Loch Dochard) that is a bit rough. You might want to avoid the WHW climb out of Bridge of Orchy too, though it’s a cracking descent down to the Inveroran. Better to go through the farm at Clashgour rather than the riverside path too.

29er would be ideal I guess.

badvicar
    Free Member

Glen Kinglass is the obvious route that springs to mind but there’s also the WLATHR (West Loch Awe Timber Haul Route) which runs from Kilchrenan (about 11km south of Taynuilt) to Kilmartin in the south so a distance of about 35km). I haven’t ridden it myself but I think it’s complete. There’s a map and photos here….
    http://www.timbertransportforum.org.uk/Upload/Documents/41_2014JohnMorganWLATHR.pdf

13thfloormonk

I’ll try to map this, but some other food for thought (going south this time) would be

Taynuilt – Kilchrenan on road

Kilchrenan – Musdale via gravel tracks through Glen Nant

Musdale – Loch Scammadale by road (unless you fancy the Ballinoe Coffin Path, which would be unrideable in parts).

Loch Scammadale – Loch Avich by the String of Lorne path, mostly landrover farm track which improves as you go south.

Loch Avich back to Kilchrenan by road (there is lots of opportunity to get off the tarmac, plus the option to extend by looping around Loch Avich first).

edit: d’oh, or just follow the Haul Route above in reverse! 8)

Worth researching it first, but it’s an interesting wee alternative.

rene59
    Free Member
    scotroutes

NCN78 is still a work in progress. In fact, the Great Glen section should be complete in a few weeks. There’s still some not-so-nice Road between Onich and Fort William to be bypassed, though the ferry at Corran gives access to a good alternative

Kunstler

I rode from Fort William to Oban last summer – with a view to seeing if it was viable as a route to support someone who would only be able to cycle on it if it was traffic free or only had very light traffic in a few places. Using the Corran ferry makes the first section okay but through Onich to the Ballachulish bridge I had to ride on the pavement next to the very busy A82. Not suitable at all.
    From the bridge the cycle path where it exists is great – they’ve obviously put a lot of effort and money into it but it’s frustratingly not continuous (was a two mile stretch of main road at one point) and as a route is not viable for some people. It’s a shame.

Back to the OP – Glen Kinglass is a lovely ride. It starts to feel a little ‘out there’ past Loch Dochard. On the warm day when I was there, the shallow pools in the burn were nice to swim in.

stooo
    Free Member

Thanks guys! Some good stuff on there… I’m favouring Glen KG just now, though that haul route looks interesting and definitely requires further investigation… some of those pics of them moving bits of wind turbine are nuts!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a gravel/forrest road route near Oban … calling Scotroutes!’ is closed to new replies.