Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a good 2nd hand CD player
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

My Arcam is beyond economic repair so I’m looking for something 5-10 years old of fairly high quality for a few hundred £

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

an old marantz and upgrade the heck out of it.

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/MarantzCD67SE.html

ericemel
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    d45yth
    Free Member

I didn’t realise people still used CD’s. 😛

ransos
    Free Member

Make sure you can get spares. Some early Cyrus (Dad7) are no longer repairable if the transport dies…

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pioneer PDS-505 Precision you can have for a lot less than a few hundred quid…

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?19993-Pioneer-PD-S505-Precision-CD-Player

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/pioneer-pd-s

Bought it new about 1998, it was an absolute killer CD player! Much better than just about anything else on the market at the time for similar price. It’s been used a handful of times, and to be honest, has been sat inside its box almost exclusively for the last 10 years!

I’m loathe to get rid, but I’ve not used my Hifi system in more than 7 years at least anyway (and I had another CD player too), so if you’re interested, let me know…

nbt

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/totally-ot-naim-hifi-system-up-for-sale

Greg’s coming up to ride with us at the end of the month, too.

GJP
    Free Member

NAIM CD5, if you want to spend circa £400 or a Densen for a similar amount. Rega Saturn maybe, not sure how much they go for. Below that Rega Apollo, Cyrus CD6S. not the SE models, and below that a Marantz CD63 SE.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I bought a s/h Rega Apollo last year. I was very pleased with it.

I then got a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic for the USB input and I found that using my blu-ray player as the transport, the sound was indistinguishable from the Rega.

Seems they have the same Wolfson DAC chipset.

I was very happy with the £150 DAC.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried a Marantz CD6004?

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    geetee1972
    Free Member

My Naim CDX2 is available but even second hand it will be more than a few hundred quid I’m afraid.

How rich is your taste? I’d be looking for around £1300.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s a beautiful system geetee. Life has forced you to be rid, you say? A tragedy of epic and Shakespearian proportions IMHO!.

What are your speakers?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ah Woppit, the speakers will be the hardest parting. They are Shahinian Arcs and are utterly sublimne. I may hold on to them and then re-build later when I have time, room etc. They are worth so little second hand unlike the Naim kit which holds a fair amount of it’s value.

I’ve got a very good headphone set up with a Rega Dac, Audio Icon tube headphone amp and a pair of HiFi Man planar magnetic headphones. I plug in my laptop and get pretty good results plus I have an older Arcam DVD player that serves as a good transport.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hand unlike the Naim kit which holds a fair amount of it’s value.

I’ve got a very good headphone set up with a Rega Dac, Audio Icon tube headphone amp and a pair of HiFi Man planar magnetic headphones. I plug in my laptop and get pretty good results plus I have an older Arcam DVD player that serves as a good transport.

I could comment, but I don’t want to intrude on your grief. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

I could comment, but I don’t want to intrude on your grief.

Why don’t you just buy it off me. You know you want to. That tatty old Olive stuff you’ve got needs replacing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ha! Actually, I’m aiming at a CDS3 to replace the old CDX. The olive XPS can stay, though…

The NAC202 and NAP202 with PSU’s are lovely.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can you run a CDS3 from an Olive XPS?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yep. Apparently.

Hadge
    Free Member

Get yourself on Fleabay and look for a Rotel RCD 965BX for about £30-40 and trust me, they’re a bargain! They can be modified quite easily and the sound is astonishing for what your getting. Now my background is from the very first days of cd’s from my old champagne Marantz to Meridian MCD Pro to Linn Karik/Numerik Linn CD12 up to my current CDX2/XPS and for the money it’s a belter. Yes it lacks the full detail of it’s costlier stuff I’ve listed but it’s not disgraced by any stretch of the imagination and in hi-fi circles they’re known for their sonic performance. There are other models out there as well going cheap and money saved can then be spent on new silver discs instead. Sorted 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good 2nd hand CD player’ is closed to new replies.