Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Recommend me a "gadget"
  • IA

I’m an epic geek, and as such get occasional gadget lust. I love shiny new tech.

Strange urge to get a new “toy” to play with, what have you got recently?

Cougar

Budget?

Helicopters / quadcopters seem to be popular amongst the STW Massive at the mo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most recent gadgery-nadgery purchases;
    Canon flippy outy screen DSLR
    Olympus TG1 bombproof compact digital camera
    Samsung Ickle Tablet

All very good so far! 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

organic355
    Free Member

Apple TV?

FIIO E6 headphone amp?

Doodle pen?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r05gjLfDX2E[/video]

the00
    Free Member

Some lego technic, preferably old stuff.

white101

I’m not a gadget nerd, but I’m sat with a couple of quid spare and have been looking at one of the kindle hd fire things, and now I am followed around by them thanks to google ads and the like on every website I visit.

I think I might treat myself to a new toy for my holiday this year which will involve lying reading in the sun

johndoh
    Free Member

My next gadget is going to be a sound bar

cranberry
    Free Member

Raspberry PI ? ( depending on your definition of shiny )

Just turned a non-smart TV into a fairly clever one with RaspBMC and a dinky wireless keyboard.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like the samsung tab2 I got the other day. Easier to hold than my ipad therefore better.

greeble
    Free Member

Raspberry pi would be a great choice!

kayak23

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djc8FPHs45o[/video]
    One of these would be awesome.

binners

IA

Budget?

Dunno, might spend £100 on a whim? depends really.

Helicopters / quadcopters

Slightly intrigued, but then the interest for me would be controlling them with a computer/phone/whatever…and then that becomes a bit too much like work for me…

Canon flippy outy screen DSLR
    Olympus TG1 bombproof compact digital camera
    Samsung Ickle Tablet

Have a couple m4/3 cameras, and an iPad. Strangely tempted by a nexus 7 but absolutely no need for one!

If I could buy a pebble today, I probably would. But you can’t buy them just now!

Apple TV

Have a mythbox setup (have done for years) so no real need. I can airplay through it, and rarely need/want to.

FiiO

Good idea, but I use fairly cheap headphones at work anyhow, and proper stereo at home.

3doodler

That’s quite cool…

Lego technic

Reminds me, I’ve a crane to re-build..

kindle hd fire …reading in the sun

You don’t want a fire to read in the sun – lcd so will be crap.

Tv is hooked up through my hifi anyhow.

Raspberry PI

Yeah, I keep thinking about one. But not sure what I’d *do* with it. RasBMC is pointless – I have a mythbox hooked to TV and Amp. Playing with linux etc. – well as I said I have an always-on linux box anyhow. I could hook it to some other hardware…but what? Hmmm.

I like the samsung tab2 I got the other day. Easier to hold than my ipad therefore better.

I’d buy a N7 over a samsung…but then I’ve had android tablets before (for work) and in general, prefer my ipad (Lets not get into the whys etc. here!)

julians
    Free Member

Suunto Ambit GPS Watch

http://www.suunto.com/gb/en/collections/suunto-ambit

Great battery life (15 hours, 50 hours or 30 days depending on use)
    100m water proof
    fully customisable screens for different activities
    Compass
    Barometer/altimeter
    Navigation functionality
    all the usual watch stuff
    Just about wearable as an everyday watch

great gadget.

IA

Suunto Ambit GPS Watch

Now that’s a nice gadget… not cheap mind!

It’s why I like the idea of a pebble though…the watch is just a display then you implement all the functionality on a phone which sits in your bag (and is easily replaced/updated etc etc)

johndoh
    Free Member

Tv is hooked up through my hifi anyhow.

So is mine (but just basic stereo through a ‘good’ amp). Fancied some clarity on dialogue that seems to be lacking in the set-up I have. Fine when it is loud, but when the kids are asleep upstairs it would be good to be able to hear dialogue without pumping the volume up.

Looking at this one http://www.whathifi.com/review/nb3520a

At PC World for £200 now.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOoNLV5JrHI[/video]

parkesie
    Free Member

Solar panel to charge your current gadgets, just got one that charges my I pad.

Cougar

Ooh, I know. Arduino starter kit and a project ideas book.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

parkesie – Member
    Solar panel to charge your current gadgets, just got one that charges my I pad.

Nice idea! Linky please! Especially if it will charge other (betterer) products! 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

Solar panel. They do them without the battery pack and slightly less powerful panels. Will charge just about anything that charges via USB.

IA

solar panel

Meh, I use a usb battery pack thingy when I need this. Solar panels aren’t really good/efficient enough. Unless they’re really big, then that’s not practical.

Arduino

Vaguely tempting, though maybe more tempted to go the route of GPIO on a raspberry Pi….. but then I think what would I want to control (for either of them)? Any suggestions? Some ideas…

Home automation – I’d love to control my lighting/heating, but I’m in rented accomodation so I don’t think they’d appreciate me messing about with the wiring! When I get my own place though…

Maybe some sort of clock, projecting the time (or other info) on a wall somehow…but with what? lasers? Hmmm…. how? Raster scan simple stuff? But raster how? Motors? Noisy…etc.

chvck
    Free Member

Arduino with a quadrocopter. See how long it takes you to make it able to fly itself. Then add some object recognition and get it to follow you down trails whilst carrying a gopro.

IA

Arduino with a quadrocopter. See how long it takes you to make it able to fly itself

As I said, a bit too close to the day job…it’d be fun but I need to do something different some of the time!

Would need a bit more cpu power than an arduino to track/follow, but I could implement that I think. Would probably use a cheap android phone.

Tempting project idea, but as I say a bit too much like work and I’ve visions of me piling a quadcopter into someone/thing.. not cheap either!

bigG
    Free Member

Shiny, new and more than a little cool. I’ve got mine on preorder.

Leap Motion

andyl
    Free Member

also got a Leap on pre-order.

But also tempted to pre-order one of these too:

https://getmyo.com/

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprHRsa1OTo[/video]

FFS, why are my videos not embedding today?

MOD: Because you are using the short code rather than full URL

chewkw
    Free Member

Just put in an order for this … 😀

After I bought this two weeks ago from STW member … :mrgreen:

This what I really really want … 😆

On budget get this … 🙄

Steve77
    Free Member

How about a fitbit or withings scale?

tomhoward

[nsfw] fleshlight? [/nsfw]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

PCM M10

somafunk

Sounds like you need a Curta mechanical calculator, utterly pointless in this day n’ age but very tactile and once you play with one you’ll forever be attempting to justify the price to yourself as they are a strangely desirable gadget that serves no possible use thus rendering them even more alluring.

TiRed

Stages Power Crank Meter (ultegra flavour) and a head unit to show how unpowerful I am. It’s great, does exactly what it’s meant to. I’m no kettle-boiler, that’s for certain, even climbing over the Surrey hills 😉

IA

Some good suggestions here. Bit worried about Chewkw 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Those Curta calculators bring out the inner geek in me, but the price 😯

sockpuppet

A Gadget you say? How about this:

Trinity

birky
    Free Member

infidel
    Free Member

Chewkw – I’ve got a strider folder which I’m toying with selling. Interested?

IA

birky – Nevero proboscis moto-moto bicyle!

sockpuppet – as I mentioned I’m letting my flat and I don’t think they allow me to store my nuclear arsenal there?

I_Ache
    Free Member

chewkw My old man has 2 hand me down Ghurka Kukri one ex service one ceremonial. He has said I can have the ex-service one, I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a "gadget"’ is closed to new replies.