Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a CX/gravel tyre
  • theotherjonv

I don’t do muddy field racing any more (never really did, occasionally tried to keep my breakfast down trying to avoid being lapped with a number on) – I’ve got some full tread for the muddier winter but they’re over the top for a lot of what i do, which is a fair split of country lanes and then byway/bridleway which in Surrey/Hants borders means sand, pine forest.

Not silly wide, clincher but don’t have to be tubeless (I know!), maybe £30 give or take an end. Should I get a file tread with shoulder knobs, or sth like a small block 8?

scaredypants

I bought one of these recently – seems fine to me, plus fairly cheap (and I like the WHShop)
    (might depend on yr bike though – it’s a 42)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313437836524

theotherjonv

Thanks; that looks similar to what I have but with more of an arrow tread, but the knobs do look closer for the centre rolling resistance. But was thinking lower profile.

Not sure about the ebay description though; Outer Shell Material – Angora. Is that ethical and will they shrink to wheelbarrow size if I ride them in the wet?

oreetmon
    Free Member

File tread with shoulder blocks is the ideal uk conditions ‘gravel’ tire for me,
    I’ve tried a lot of the ‘top ten’ recommended tires but all have had cons.
    I have settled on the terrene elwood 40mm as they are excellent allrounders.

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve been rolling on Hutchinson Overides this spring, and they have been a pleasant experience for tarmac and dirt and gravel. File tread that roughens towards the edges, but no real cornering knobs. Bit stiff, but that can be countered by running silly low pressures, as the sidewalls don’t seem to squirm until the tyre is practically flat. Bought from Alltricks.com for slightly under 30 euros a piece.

Theoretically Hutchinson also has the Touareg with the same casing and a little bit more tread, but they don’t seem to be very available.

EDIT: And yes, there’s only one ‘r’ in the name. The French, go figure.

vinnyeh

If you’re interested, I’ve a pair of new SB8’s, 700×32 120tpi that I keep meaning to stick on the classifieds, £15 an end

dovebiker

I used to live on the Hants/Surrey border – WTB Riddlers in 45mm width were my tyre of choice for summer riding. Extra width needed to give any sort of purchase on the loose sand. Schwalbe G-Ones pretty good on dry south downs chalk too.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

My Genesis CDA10 came with WTB Riddlers 700×38 and as a budget bike I’ve been blown away by the performance of them I’ve been looking a some for my 29er HT for summer use

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a CX/gravel tyre’ is closed to new replies.