Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a book on LEJOG….
  • munkster
    Free Member

…a good friend and colleague is retiring (at 50, git!) and talking about maybe riding LEJOG one day.

Any good books, humorous a plus, to recommend on the endeavour to give as a gift? I’ve seen a couple on Amazon but it’s easy to overlook something that others might view as obvious perhaps.

Many thanks!

munkster
    Free Member

No one? Really? 🙁

whitestone
    Free Member
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Cycling
    Lands end to John O Groats. Alan J Ray.
    Dated hardback about all the records up to publishing date of 1971.
    Rather impressive attempts that most of us are not aware of.

MrSparkle

The Lands End John O’Groats Self Help Cycle Guide looks like it might be of use, too.

munkster
    Free Member

Great stuff thanks all.

butcher

Mud, Sweat and Gears is a good call. Nice leisurely account of it with some good humour.

I’ve read a couple of self published books, which have been OK, but not so much a gift. And I forget the names anyway.

munkster
    Free Member

The only thing I am reluctant about with M,S&G is that the chap isn’t a drinker at all, and there seems to be a beery sub-plot to it, will that matter at all?

whitestone
    Free Member

Not really, it’s just a secondary thread to the journey, it could just as well have been bird watching or orchid spotting.

rents
    Free Member

rockettrides.com. the guy holds the record for the lejogle. His book about it is a good read.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I liked Free Country by George Mahood. Not sure it will help him unless he is considering starting with no bike and just his underpants though.

crazy-legs

Not LEJOG but “One Man & his Bike” by Mike Carter is a very good read. Story of his 5 month journey round the entire UK, following the coast all the way.

Obviously has a bit of stuff about both LE and JOG as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book on LEJOG….’ is closed to new replies.