Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend a whisky £30 or less
  • slackman99
    Free Member

Evening,

Need to buy and friend a nice bottle of whisky. Needs to be £30 or less. Have heard some of the Lidl offerings are pretty good, but not sure what else is out there.

Also need to be able to buy it in person in a ‘normal’ place, i.e. a supermarket, not online or a whisky shop 🙂

Recommendations please

chewkw
    Free Member

I bought a bottle each of the ones below.

The Famous Grouse

Whyte And Mackay (sweeter)

Both good with a little bit of water.

I drink them at room temperature btw.

I like both. 😀

sc-xc

**** me Chewy. Now I know you’re trolling.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Two bottles of Aldi’s Islay?

Any idea on preferences – a branded highland malt on special at the supermarket might fit the bill?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bought a bottle each of the ones below.

The Famous Grouse

Both good with a little bit of water.

I drink them at room temperature btw.

I like both. [quote][/quote]

The OP said, ‘nice’. 🙂

But, as I’ve said many times before, taste is personal & one mans meat is another mans poison.

Iv’e never had a whisky/whiskey that I didn’t like.

chewkw
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member
    **** me Chewy. Now I know you’re trolling.

😯 ^^^

IMO they are fine.
    Not spectacular but fine. 😛

edit: they taste roughly the same to me … 😛

edit edit: I shall compare them to my other more expensive ones later … tbh … perhaps it’s just me but I really cannot taste that much of a difference.

Forget about my recommendation … go get those around £30.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Talisker Skye or Storm if you can find it on offer

slackman99
    Free Member

Last time I saw him buy whisky it was Balvenie, but not sure that was a particular preference.

I appreciate that a good tasting whisky is very much a personal thing, but thought i’d best try and get something that is well regarded rather than picking by what the bottle looks like 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See, I’m with Chewy on this. I love whisky but in reality could tell the diff between say Dalwhinnie & Glenfiddich.
    I’d know an Islay though cos they all taste like Listerine. Apparently.

chewkw
    Free Member

slackman99 – Member

Last time I saw him buy whisky it was Balvenie, …

My Dalwhinnie is almost finish.

My Old Pulteney is also almost finishing …

😮

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The Aldi sherry cask is excellent for the money (£20).

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

highland park 12yo is £26 in sainsburys at the moment, that’s cheap for a 12 yo. nice packaging too, looks like a gift.
    linky

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Yes, and HP is perfectly drinkable whatever your taste.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

If you can bear to shop online Highland Park 12 is £25 at Amazon with free delivery

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If he was buying Balvenie then another Speyside from a supermarket should be ok. Tesco had Glenlivet Founders reserve around the £30 recently

slackman99
    Free Member

Shopping online is only out due to my lack of organisation…..need to get it tomorrow 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’m beginning to wonder why i waltzed past it,..i’ve got a camping holiday all next week and a big fat cigar….looks like a trip back tomorrow!

peasant
    Free Member

Laphroaig quarter cask at costco for £24 looks a great deal and 48% proof 😀

dmorts

Tesco had Glenlivet Founders reserve around the £30 recently

I’ve got the 15 yr French Oak Glenlivet for near £30 at Tesco before… Or might have been Sainsburys… anyway the 15 is way nicer than the Founders Reserve. Not a fan of the FR.

Edit: I think it was over a year or so that I got the 15 at that price and pretty sure it was in the run up to Christmas thinking about it… sorry I’m no use!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Sub – £30 favourites include Ardmore (seriously underrated, imho), Tomintoul and Arran single malts. All usually available in most supermarkets and all perfectly lovely.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Tesco recently had a range of quality whiskies in the cheap shelf, all around £25 including Auchentoshan American Oak, Tomatin and Dalwhinnie Winter Gold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rhyming slang…..
    Budget stretch
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250350283
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256706597
    Both completely different flavours being from opposite sides of the country but both decent.

TheFlyingOx

Last time I saw him buy whisky it was Balvenie

The one with the red label in Aldi that’s most expensive (£22?) is very close to Balvenie Doublewood* (I suspect that’s what it is). Having said that, the real thing is often in my local Morrisons for under £30. Bunnahabhain 12yo occasionally drops within your budget too. It’s like the Balvennie but sweeter and thicker*, if whisky can be sweet or thick.

*To my delapidated tastebuds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but sweeter and thicker*, if whisky can be sweet or thick.

Whiskey can be many things, last bunch we were trying hospitals and iodine came out in the nose 🙂

https://www.thebalvenie.com/our-whisky-range/
    Bit about their main range, had the plaseure of the 30 last weekend, I think the budget might stretch to a large one of those…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/UTtMEp]19400534_10102224556877591_8459341631626557053_o[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Note the Owl is what the Whyte And Mackay was held in once upon a time 😉

Also see if you can find BRUICHLADDICH THE LADDIE Ten on offer
    Also
    http://www.springbankwhisky.com/whisky/longrow/
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/17955/longrow-peated
    Don’t let the label put you off, all parts of the process from malting to finished is done in the village, the labels are getting worse as the man who does them is in his 90’s and going blind.

Cougar

Do you know what they like beyond Balvenie?

If not I’d +1 the Highland Park. Or maybe the Yamazaki if you can find it in budget and want to be interesting.

Cougar

Again, if you can find it, Benromach Organic is around that price point and is the best “bang for your buck” whisky I’ve ever found.

dmck16
    Free Member

Stop by Tesco and you should be able to get Highland Park (which has now been rebranded to Viking something-or-other) or Ardmore for twenty odd quid.

Spotted last week so might still be available for that decent price.

Either would be a safe bet for a gift.

slackman99
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks like something at £30 or less is perfectly possible. I’ll have this thread loaded while I have a wonder round the shops.

llama

Morrisons have a few on offer for 25, highland park, a couple of Jura, all reasonable for that money on today’s prices

Yak

I doubt the Japanese options will be in budget. I would go for a Talisker, or if you find it reduced, a Talisker Storm.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member
    tinybits
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie Winters Gold is £25 in Tesco locally so I suspect the same all over. A decent bottle that’s often at £40

richmtb

Ardmore (seriously underrated, imho)

Agreed, and I bought a bottle for £20 in Tesco recently

grandadmike
    Free Member

Tin Cup American Whisky is a nice one and available in price range..Perhaps not a Raw Scotch but a lovely smooth drink it is.

renton
    Free Member

Jura Superstition is £25 at Sainsburys

PJM1974
    Free Member

This is my kind of thread.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Arberlour £23 on amazon prime..

ico86

I know it’s a bit late but I picked up a bottle of Penderyn in Sainsbury’s for £30. Not a mad deal but a biting money off and another option in the price bracket

Cougar

Is it any good now? I tried it when it was released and my overriding impression was that it would be quite nice when it was finished. (As in, more mature, not given a finish.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a whisky £30 or less’ is closed to new replies.