• This topic has 39 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend a shoe dryer please
  • IHN

We have one like this (the same model seems to appear until multiple brand names):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165253670069?hash=item2679e2e4b5:g:23cAAOSwnwthyRJZ

It’s started throwing out an EE error code, and a quick Google suggests this isn’t uncommon, and it’s knackered. Buy cheap, buy twice I suppose, so looking for that second purchase.

Ideally want something with a fan, rather than just warm blocks, and anything with some kind of destinkyfying function would be great (the current dryer has an ‘ozone’ button which seemed to work well, when the dryer itself worked…)

DickBarton

I have this – https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019DDFATU/ – works well but have had it for 4 years and has now stopped being ‘warm’ air…suspect it might be a bit faulty but seems to still work. If room is warm, then the air is throws out is ‘warm’, but from memory it did warm air.

Would buy again as works well.

footflaps

I’ve just been using a desk fan pointed down at my winter cycling boots, the cold air (or room temp air) dries them out pretty quickly.

Although just bought that Renogy boot drier for £25 as it looks a neater solution…

yetidave
    Free Member

i built a ply box with a expel-air fan in it, and a 60w bulb. waste pipes are the outlet which sit inside the shoes, blowing slightly warmed air. a bit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0t906-KIVY

oikeith

@dickbarton the one you have is not available, this one has come up under it dryer thing might take a punt at £20ish, I like that it runs on a timer so can turn it on and forget. Anyone used one of these and had a bad experience?

scotroutes

I’ve been using a Maxxdry for two and a half years. It does the bike boots/shoes and also the wetsuit stuff. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

bruneep

Have this

MaxxDry Unisex’s Heavy Duty Boot and Gloves Dryer, Grey, One Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZEF17K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QMEHQRKPQR952P0Y0SQ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Never paid that for it though. Used for a few winters and summers no problems

ossify

The place I stayed in over summer had made their own, it worked amazingly well & fast.
    It was a hair dryer fixed in place and blowing horizontally into a wooden box (bit smaller than a shoebox). It then had 2 PVC pipes sticking out the top maybe 1 metre high, with wood behind them for strength and to keep them in place.

Doesn’t sound great from my description and granted it was a fairly large thing but it was well made and looked nice. Probably got a lot of use (holiday house in rural Scotland) and wasn’t in the way standing in a corner of the room.

IHN

Cheers all. How long does the MaxxDry take to dry out a sopping pair of trainers, and what’s it like stink wise (it’s likely to be used in a smallish porch).

Superficial
    Free Member

My suspicion is these things probably work quite well in an already-warm environment. I.e they just provide a bit of an extra heat to encourage the water to evapourate. In my cold garage, my shoes take quite some time to dry. Still good, but I do wonder about the energy cost (I’ve not bothered to measure it).

yetidave
    Free Member

It takes mine overnight (in the un-heated garage) to dry hose wet shoes. Assuming 10hrs of my 60W bulb, is about 10p.

desperatebicycle

I bought one from Amazon that was recommended on a recent thread. Semms like ages ago, but I haven’t used it, it’s still in the box! So dunno how good it is

scotroutes

Mostly, my Maxxdry takes one cycle of the timer.TBH, I couldn’t tell you how long that is.

As for smell, that has more to do with what you’ve been cycling in and the actual shoes themselves. The only issue I’ve had is with a pair of Northwave boots. When drying they smell of cat piss. Not like cat piss, actual cat piss. I believe it has something to do with the glue used in construction.

p7eaven
    Free Member

The only issue I’ve had is with a pair of Northwave boots. When drying they smell of cat piss.

I had this with some TNF knockoffs. Suspected that they were counterfeit before accidentally getting them drenched in seawater. Ye gods from that day forth it was like wearing concentrated hamster-piss. No matter how much drying and cleaning performed thereafter to no avail. As if something fundamentally evil had been activated. I left them outdoors to die unattended.

IHN

I bought one from Amazon that was recommended on a recent thread. Semms like ages ago, but I haven’t used it, it’s still in the box! So dunno how good it is

This is like one of those Amazon reviews where people review something they’ve not yet used 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

MaxxDry here. On our second one as the fan motor bearings fell apart. It is used every day though as even if shoes aren’t wet, they get a 15 minute blast of unheated air just to keep them fresh.

In fact, I don’t use the heat function very often. Even if shoes are soaked, they’ll normally get a rinse, stuffed with newspaper and then put on the MaxxDry for a full session overnight. That process even works on 5:10 Impact Pros.

ahsat

I just balance ours on top of the radiator! But that did take 2 full days to dry after the last river crossing submergence.

IHN

stuffed with newspaper and then put on the MaxxDry for a full session overnight.

The newspaper’s in them on the dryer?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, couple of hours with newspaper before they go on the dryer.

fossy

If my MW7’s don’t get dried quick, they do stink of cat piss. It’s the neoprene cuffs. I’ve a dehumidifier in the garage, and just stick them on the top of that, dry within 24 hours and no smell. Don’t put them on a radiator – they will stink the place out. Other option is the airing cupboard – used to just place mine at the bottom, but they do take longer to dry.

Been looking at boot dryers, but the dehumidifier is doing a grand job. It was in the house, but most of the buttons have ‘broken’ so it only works of default humidity of 60%, which is OK, but no use when drying out a newly painted room etc. Works a treat keeping my bikes nice and dry and toasty though.

andylc
    Free Member

I just ordered a Thermic ski boot dryer for a ski holiday – well known make, compact size and decent price, reviews look good and hopefully will be good for general use afterwards.

footflaps

The only issue I’ve had is with a pair of Northwave boots. When drying they smell of cat piss.

Yes, all my winter boots smell pretty rank – I guess from not fully drying.

I stuck one pair in a bucket with some Vanish powder and hot water for a couple of hours the other day. It seems to have improved them a bit, but not totally fresh….

desperatebicycle

This is like one of those Amazon reviews where people review something they’ve not yet used

It was delivered quickly 😀

creakingdoor
    Free Member

I’ve never used any sort of proprietary shoe/boot dryer. I’ve just stuffed them with newspaper overnight if they’re particularly bad and they’re dry by the morning with no nasty smell.
    But then, I’ve not reached peak STW in any other areas either…

superfli
    Free Member

I got one of those maxxdry heaters last year after my old flex boot heater timer broke. It doesn’t work, no heat. After 4 days, boots aren’t dry.

aP
    Free Member

I have a MaxxDry- for about 18 months. I used it on some fairly soaked through approach boots last week and it dried them within a couple of hours. I’m currently using it to dry off my winter boots and gloves when I get in from my commute home, and to get them nice and warm before I head out in the morning.

aP
    Free Member

If there’s no heat then you need to press the little rocker switch underneath the timer dial.

paton
    Free Member

where does the moisture from the shoes end up?

DickBarton

@oikeith – looks ok but can only dry one thing at a time…I’d be looking for something that can do gloves and shoes (or 2 sets of shoes).

I’ll stick mine on a radiator so it draws heat in and that should fix the cold air problem – cold air problem isn’t helped with trying to be tight and not have the heating on often!

footflaps

where does the moisture from the shoes end up?

Spread evenly in the air in the room, you’ll raise the relative humidity by a % or so drying a pair of shoes.

andylc
    Free Member

I just received my Thermic dryer. Only does one pair at a time but extendable arms to go to the bottom of ski boots, shorter for normal boots, very quiet and heats to 20 degrees above the ambient temperature, half the price of the Maxxdry though.

scotroutes

I’ve never used any sort of proprietary shoe/boot dryer. I’ve just stuffed them with newspaper

Newspaper?

superfli
    Free Member

@aP

If there’s no heat then you need to press the little rocker switch underneath the timer dial

No, it has never done anything. I should have sent it back when I bought it really. No difference either way I switch it. It also has very little air coming out of the 4 tubes. More sure seems to come out of, what I would think was the air intake?! In the centre part

fossy

The quicker you can dry a shoe the better (stink wise). For example, I was able to use my SPD shoes for many years on a daily commute even during heavy rain as I used waterproof overshoes and over trousers – they never ‘stunk’.

That’s really not possible MTB’ing, so they just get wet. Boots are great until you are doing river crossings or really wet rides, but at least your feet are warm.

superfli
    Free Member

Just taken the centre bit out (the main part with elecs and filament in). It does work, just doesn’t seem to push much out our tubes.

andylc
    Free Member

Just tried the Thermic drier on a pair of socks and slippers that I managed to get damp somehow. Dried them out in 30 minutes. Came out feeling lovely and warm but not hot. The warm air comes out gently but very obviously.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Newspaper?

Yes, newspaper. Works like a charm.
    Also it’s the best thing for cleaning your windows as it doesn’t cause streaks. Thank me later 😉

Ogg

I’ve had one of these for several years https://www.skiweb.uk.com/product/boot-dryer-ad4/ (I’m sure I didn’t pay anything like that much for it though) which appears to be identical to the MaxxDry dryers
    it has a cold/hot setting and 3 hour timer.
    Works well with my SPD shoes and five tens

Superficial
    Free Member

Yes, newspaper. Works like a charm.
    Also it’s the best thing for cleaning your windows as it doesn’t cause streaks. Thank me later 😉

Instructions unclear. The corners of my ipad scratched the window, even though I’d logged onto MailOnline.

I haven’t had a physical newspaper in a decade.

DrP

OK… so based on the fact I have about 3 or 4 PROPER fans (from Zwift) i at home, I’m reluctant to buy any more fan based devices..
    I’m gonna make a boot drier like the you tube vidoe, and will psot up on here!!

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a shoe dryer please’ is closed to new replies.