Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Recommend a good (cheapish) fork upgrade
  • TomB

I’ve got a 2004 Merlin Malt 4 that came with Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp forks. I’ve been told by someone I trust that the bike would benefit from a better fork, but I don’t want to spend loads to upgrade, as I’ve half an eye on a new bike at some stage soon.

I’ve no real idea about current forks, but probably looking at old stock or 2nd hand forks, for Lake District riding. A quick scan revealed 2008 Recon SL and Recon 327 Solo air, as well as some Toras. I would think 100-120mm travel would be the most I’d want?

Are my 2004 forks likely to be IS disc mount- how do you tell? Don’t want to have to buy too many bits. Any tips for secondhand forks to look for?

Cheers all!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id keep what you have, the MX’s are a pretty good set of forks to be honest.

Give them an oil change and renew the seals if needed and set them up properly and they should be fine.

Save your extra money for a new bike

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’d agree with DavidT, a Tora won’t be any kind of upgrade at all and the Recon only marginally better than what you’ve got. MX Comps are good forks and last much better than modern forks I’ve found. People sometimes confuse ‘simple’ with ‘not very good’. Oil change and seals, set up properly and all will be well.

Get some new tyres or some lighter wheels instead!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a good (cheapish) fork upgrade’ is closed to new replies.