Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Recommend a down/quilted style jacket
  • spooky_b329

In typical bloke style, my ‘warm coat’ eventually got retired last winter (holes, frayed cuffs and stains finally did it in). So this year I have been shivering in a bulky fleece/waterproof combo or gilet which is pretty miserable.

Seems the right time of year to buy a jacket as the sales are on. Seems a bit of a minefield, found a couple I like but once I found reviews it sounds like they are more of a ‘go shopping’ loose fitting jacket rather than a ‘stay warm standing in a freezing field’ affair.

Looking to spend about a £100, whats good? This sot of thing, with a hood, packable, not shiny 🙂

footflaps

You really need to try then on, the cuts vary so much between different brands…

kormoran
    Free Member

onewheelgood

Alpkit Filoment?

spooky_b329

I got one of them there yellow ones…its even goretex. Too draughty from the bottom 🙂

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I hot one of the Karrimor jackets in November. It’s been great and really well priced. It doesn’t pack down quite as small as my partners Rab and you would need to buy a stuff sack to store it. It’s been keeping me warm and toasty without over heating.

Karrimor Jacket

zigzag69
    Free Member

spooky_b329

Filoment is on my list so good to see it recommended. Put it to one side when I found a couple I could try on in store but turns out they are not as warm as they look so thanks for the reminder.

Karrimor should be easy to find in a high street shop

CountZero

I got one of them there yellow ones…its even goretex. Too draughty from the bottom

You want one of the bomber-style ones, they’ve got an elasticated bottom…
    Ultralight down jackets work best as part of a layering system, and the cheaper ones don’t have anywhere near as much filling, and are really only for cool days, although worn with a fleece and a base layer they work ok on colder days.

ElShalimo

Check out Keela Belay jacket

lunge

Get thee to Decathlon, many varieties of such jacket and lovely prices too.

rhys
    Free Member

Not got one but looks like a nice price
    Huub jacket

cultsdave
    Free Member

Get thee to Decathlon, many varieties of such jacket and lovely prices too.

I found the cut and fit of their jackets unsuitable.

Filoment Hoody [Mens]

matt_outandabout

I’m still hankering after replacing my crap Patagonia soft shell and my insulated jacket with Rab VR Guide and VR light jackets…. Or Montane remake the Dyno and Krypton.

DezB
    Free Member

Get yerself logged in to Sport Pursuit. They chuck em out for silly (read: Sensible) money on there. Loads of brands to choose from. I have 2, didn’t try on, of course, but both lovely. Kilpi one means I will never be cold again (Scandi brand, they know what cold is like!)

disco_stu
    Free Member

If there is a Decathlon nearby pop in there and have a look at their range, I got one last year for about £40 and it’s pretty good.

brassneck

Got an Alpkit Filoment to replace my older, non hooded version as a Christmas present.

Really rate them both, and the old one is now the post bike / gardening / DIY jacket and still going strong (pulled zips and pockets mean it just looks a bit to tatty for work / everyday, not that it stopped me).

Both are more than adequately warm for 99% of the time in the UK, I’m usually only wearing a t shirt or base layer under them.

The new one is noticeably better with a bit of moisture – wouldn’t say its a proper rain coat, but it’ll do in most showers. The old one wets out way too quickly and needs a good warm airing to get it back in shape.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Plenty of good synthetic down options out there now to consider that don’t require the plucking of birds (would you wear a fur coat?) The Alpkit Primaloft ones for example.

CraigW
    Free Member

And synthetic insulation is a lot easier to look after, you can just chuck it into the washing machine when it gets dirty.

I’d look at Snugpak, they have some very warm jackets, not too expensive.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Alpkit Katabatic here. I splashed out and got a Goretex too for actual hillwalking/very wet day duties – layers up well.

I like Finisterre stuff for their cut, but Alpkit use Primaloft Gold insulation for less cash than Finisterre using Silver; Alpkit stuff is reduced very little in their sales too, whereas Finisterre can be reduced by quite a bit. To me that gives you an idea of how much mark-up they add.

Avoiding genuine ‘down’ jackets now too. Aside from the ethical issues (for instance, I trust Patagonia on their stance around the issue) I figure in our damp climate the synthetic alternative that works well when wet is a better option.

maccruiskeen

Quite like my Paramo Torres – smidge over your budget but you can find cheap options now and then. Warm without bulk, articulates really well, water repellant and still keeps you warm even if it does wet through. Much more breathable than other cheaper down-type jackets I’ve had and easy to wash and re-proof.

mafiafish
    Free Member

If it matters to you, check that the jackets you’re looking at are at least RDS certified http://responsibledown.org/.

Most jackets from big brand around the £100 mark ususally are these days, but the very cheapest ones from Go outdoors/Decathlon/Sports direct might not be .

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

for instance, I trust Patagonia on their stance around the issue

Yes, I think like Alpkit (who are RDS ^^^) they ensure the birds are not force fed or live plucked. Or they use recycled down. Most companies who care about their ethical image do increasingly seem to be moving towards synthetic down and I’d expect this to continue as public awareness grows.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes, I think like Alpkit (who are RDS ^^^) they ensure the birds are not force fed or live plucked.

That’s my understanding too. I know Patagonia have had ‘issues’ in the past which they have responded quickly to – I figure you have to put your trust somewhere and they are quick to acknowledge mistakes with suppliers and rectify them.

franksinatra

Montane Flux is like wearing a cuddle. I would wear it all day every day if my job allowed. Available online for around £100.

I love mine so much I purchased a second one which is sat in the loft waiting to take over when my first one has to be retired

tjagain

Thanks for this thread. Synthetic down jackets are another area I am looking at. 300g weight saving over a fleece for what should be very similar warmth IIRC

SaxonRider

I have been looking for a similar jacket to the OP, but would like it to have some water resistance.

I see that some claim to, but my question is: to what extent is it possible to get a jacket like the OP is looking for, but also have it waterproof – or at least fairly water-resistant?

ElShalimo

@SaxonRider – there are coats out there like that, e.g. Mountain Equipment Fitzroy linky

FWIW most of the outer fabrics have DWR coatings nowadays so they are shower-proof.

maccruiskeen

I have been looking for a similar jacket to the OP, but would like it to have some water resistance.

I see that some claim to, but my question is: to what extent is it possible to get a jacket like the OP is looking for, but also have it waterproof – or at least fairly water-resistant?

I mention the Paramo Torre above – wash-in waterproofing but very breathable.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Any of the primaloft jackets with a pertex (or equivalent) outer will be pretty water resistant. Ive got a Mountain Equipment compressor hooded jacket that i often wear in the rain. It stays warm. But also only leaks through a few patches where i guess the filling is a bit thinner. It also never gets my clothes underneath wet. You just can see damp patches on the inside of the jacket.

Primaloft is water resistant in itself (its made of plastic). So you end up with quite a lot of material for the water to work its way through.

And it stays warm when its wet!!
    I really dont see the point of down filled clothing in the damp UK.

If you want something really warm like a high fill power down jacket there are primaloft jackets with a high amount of fill. Mountain Equipment Citadel for example.

kayak23

mrblobby – Member
    Plenty of good synthetic down options out there now to consider that don’t require the plucking of birds (would you wear a fur coat?) The Alpkit Primaloft ones for example.

This.
    Some of the synthetic ones are fantastic. Don’t buy down, but especially don’t buy cheap down.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There are options, but they ain’t cheap. As said above, I bought both a Katabatic and a Balance to wear over the top when needed.

I bought a Pertex Finisterre parka which is lined with Primaloft, but it’s not as warm as a full-on down jacket. Saying that, it’s a great jacket for standing on clifftops staring out to sea.

In one jacket Patagonia do some, but they ain’t cheap: http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/shop/mens-3-in-1-jackets-vests

matt_outandabout

for instance, I trust Patagonia on their stance around the issue

I don’t trust Patagonia on cut or warranty any more, so for that reason I am not buying.
    Many other companies also do ‘responsible down’ and various environmentally ‘better’ products – see Vaude for example.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t trust Patagonia on cut or warranty any more, so for that reason I am not buying.

Fair enough.

Many other companies also do ‘responsible down’ and various environmentally ‘better’ products – see Vaude for example.

Very true. Vaude do some excellent kit. Patagonia stand out in this regard though as a large, international company that has ethical and environmental considerations built into the heart of its philosophy.

Spud

If you can find one in your size somewhere, I’d recommend a Black Diamond Heat Treat Hoody, brilliant jacket. Knocks spots off my down jackets. Primaloft, Windstopper and keeps all but the most torrential rain at bay. I got mine a couple of years back at a very good price.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Montane Icarus…I just bought one from Go Outdoors for ~£90.

(Show them the Gaynors price and they’ll beat it by 10%)

richmtb

A Montane Flux but really anything with a good fill of Primaloft would be the way to go.

As others have said synthetic down really is the way to go in this country.

spooky_b329

Interesting discussion on the Down filling, I noticed a lot have the RDS certification but the cynical side of me suspects that non-ethically sourced Down is sure to find its way into the supply chain at some stage.

It’s a bit like certified timber, I’m convinced timber pillaged from natural forests makes its way into our DIY sheds with a nice feel good ink stamp on it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Luckily there are plenty of excellent synthetic choices (most suggested on here for example), which are likely better for uk conditions, so an easy concern to avoid 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a down/quilted style jacket’ is closed to new replies.