Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend a bike around the 400 – 450 mark..
  • ben
    Free Member

Just trawling the web looking for some options for my girlfriend who's about to get a bike on the bike to work scheme. She's restricted to getting the bike from Halfords, so the £450 needs to be rrp.

The shortlist is between a Scott Contessa 40 or the Spesh Myka HT Comp.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
    Ben

Northwind

Neither probably, at this price the Carreras make more sense, she'll get more bike for her money. The Kraken Ladies is on paper at least a better bike than either of those you quote, I had a 2008-spec Kraken and it was an incredibly impressive bike for the money.

user-removed
    Free Member

And there's a third off all Carreras just now……

Northwind

Though I don't know if you can get that on CTW. Actually there's last-year's Kraken Ladies for £250 on the website if that's an option.

ben
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

The spec does look good on the Kraken, but the Frames on the Scott & Spesh look better should she wish to upgrade components.. Any other suggestions?

Xylene
    Free Member

missius got herself a trek skye – she likes it.

ben
    Free Member

Thanks Quirrel, will take a look.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The carrera's do handle well, and the frames are probably no worse than the trek/kona/scott's at that price.

Northwind

I don't think the Kraken Ladies frame is exactly the same as the frame in my manly Kraken, but it seems very similiar… And that's no bad thing, it's not top drawer (paint is too brittle) but it's a solid enough, nice handling frame. I had it built up again over winter with a rigid fork in, good fun.

Xylene
    Free Member

That's the missuss' bike. One of a few that comes in 13" that actually fitted.

The next model up the SL is a decent looking upgrade.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a bike around the 400 – 450 mark..’ is closed to new replies.