Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Time for Gordon Brown to go
  • Rio

Goes without saying really, and it's probably about time we had one of these in the right forum… 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

He is isn't he?

Going i mean.

Rio

He's still hanging on – no sign of him leaving No 10 yet, even though Clegg has now said that the Tories should be trying to form the government. I suspect the SAS will have to go in and smoke him out eventually.

Spongebob
    Free Member

We'll see.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Where there is discord, may we bring harmony…. 😈

higthepig
    Free Member

Clegg has now said that the Tories should be trying to form the government.

Is that to strengthen his hand if Broon gives him a call?

uplink
    Free Member

He'll resign later this morning, I reckon

Whether or not he'll be gone for good rather depends on Clegg finding common ground with the Tories & I'm not sure that's possible

Rio

He'll resign later this morning, I reckon

Not convinced that he'll have got the message but I suspect there'll be a Downfall moment going on in No 10 right now.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Will he be upset that he's now got to ride at the back listening to Hora's nonsense? 😀

Moses

I reckon (11:45) that it's more likely for Brown to go, but a Lib-Lab pact will be formed with another PM.
    The LibDems need proportional representation, and the Tories would not give it to them as it would be in their interest to delay such a bill, then hold another election in 6 months

zokes
    Free Member

Will he be upset that he's now got to ride at the back listening to Hora's nonsense?

Class!

uplink
    Free Member

but a Lib-Lab pact will be formed with another PM.

Not sure they'll want a leadership contest right now – September maybe

Rio

Not convinced that Labour will really go for PR either whatever they've said – after all, it means the permanent end of overall control for them as well as for the Tories and they have more to lose given their relative proportion of the vote.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Whilst I generally agree that he shouldn't be PM in the next parliament, under our electoral system it actually falls first to him as the current Prime Minister to try and form a government and if he cannot only then would David Cameron be invited to try and form one.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Would Clegg lose all credibility by going for a Lib-Lab pact? He's been spouting out all through the election he'll support the party with the most votes/seats.

But I imagine Brown will be required to fall on his sword to keep the Labs in power in a coalition. Regardless of if he wants to or not. I can just see him as they drag him our of No. 10 in a straightjacket "No, no, I'm the one who can lead the country out of all its' problems. Me I tell you, Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

FPP gives Labour too many seats for their popularity, and under scores Conservative and LibDem. So why do Labour vaguely support it and are Conservatives so strongly against it?

tomzo
    Free Member

FPP gives Labour too many seats for their popularity, and under scores Conservative and LibDem. So why do Labour vaguely support it and are Conservatives so strongly against it?

Presume you've made a typing error….

conservatives support FPP, because theres less chance of coalition/hung governement and more chance of them in power
    Lib Dem support PR as it gives them loads more seats than FPP
    Think labour want alternative vote- where i think you rank the parties in what order you support. dunno how they work out the votes from that one though. Also probably trying to side more with the lib dems in hope of forming a lib/lab governement

Essentially they all just choose whatevers more likely to get them in power.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I suspect Labour 'support' PR to snuggle up to the Lib Dems, knowing a combined Lib-Lab coalition is always going to beat the Cons. Hence Cons opposing it.

kimbers

stv or av is much better than straight PR as it should reduce the number of fringe parties

will be worse for the tories than labour as your average lib voter is more likely to put lab as his 2nd than tory

uplink
    Free Member

Whilst I generally agree that he shouldn't be PM in the next parliament, under our electoral system it actually falls first to him as the current Prime Minister to try and form a government and if he cannot only then would David Cameron be invited to try and form one.

yes
    But Clegg won't talk to Lab until he's had the chance to talk to the Cons & without the Libs, Brown cannot even start to form a government

so that sort of reverses things a bit

kimbers

GB will be rmembered as the chancellor who steered us through the longets period of continual growth

cameron will be remebered as the guy that never won

breatheeasy
    Free Member

GB will be remembered for not saving for a rainy day when all was shining around him, selling gold at third of current price etc. His legacy is not over yet and he may well be remembered for leaving the UK with massive debt, fault or no fault (to be fair continual growth wasn't down to him either). That and nicking stuff out of my pension without asking.

the-muffin-man

GB will be rmembered as the chancellor who steered us just happened to be in charge through the longets period of continual growth

peakmonster
    Free Member

Gordon handing the key's back over.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

GB will be remembered as the man who:

never won an election !

Sold our Gold
    bought Euros
    borrowed too much
    spent it all
    Employed over 10% UK workforce
    Would, then wouldn't allow us a referrendum
    and on
    and on

He hasn't just been voted out for doing a good job

CC.

EDIT: BreathEasy & MM. Spot on !

peakmonster
    Free Member

Here Here,
    Waves white paper

Junkyard
    Free Member

mm interesting one the constitution gives him first dibs but Labour clearly lost the election. That said the tories did not quite win it- close but did not cross the finish line. Lib dems wil not do a deal without PR full stop…not sure what they will sacrifice for PR but that is their sole/only/first priority. T think a lab/lib oalition is their only chance of that as I am sure Plaid and SNP and he green MP will support that. Not a done deal yetor dave . I expect PR by end of year and /or a new election. Think Cameron should resign and join the English cricket team ..they will appreciate his ability to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. Brown will go BUT only if Lib will do a deal he will fall on his sword for the party/to avoid a tory government.
    Odd results cannot believe the tories could not beat this shower and in this economic climate ….best chance for them to rule for a generation I would be tempted to let them take charge f@ck up everything and make themselves unelectable for another generation. Cant see whoever is nominally in power winning next election as too many unpopular decisions to be made.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Whereas Cameron is the man who to use a football analogy, failed to score in front of an open goal, and now is hoping for a rebound to go in of everyone's favourites party the DUP. He has the support of 36.2% of the electorate, while a lib-lab coalition has 52.0% (on current figures).

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Is the problem the Tories or Dave? What leader would result in those here that have been so strongly opposed to the Tories being more supportive? Or was the damage done in the 80s so bad that you could never vote for them?

uplink
    Free Member

Have the Tories started to blame each other yet?

aracer
    Free Member

GB will be rmembered as the chancellor who steered us through the longets period of continual growth

Indeed – though he did eventually manage to find the way out.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Ha !. Yeah, like the public didn't have anything to do with it.

Well GB owned the goal, was the goal keeper and still failed.

Cons have won over 90 seats

Labour has lost nearly that. Pity there weren't a few more sensible people voting pragmatically.

Markets are likely to punish us for this and we've only ourselves to blame.

Those three put themselves up there for us to choose who gets into No10, and we fecked that up.

CC.

Rio

a lib-lab coalition has 52.0%

A rather spurious figure. I don't recall any lib-lab coalition candidates on my polling form. Just because labour got 29% and liberals 23% doesn't mean that a lib-lab coalition got 52%. You might as well say that 59% supported a conservative-liberal coalition or 65% supported a conservative-labour coalition or 88% supported a conservative-labour-liberal coalition.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Or was the damage done in the 80s so bad that you could never vote for them

Yeah, and what happened then. Mrs T had to start clearing up the mess left by the previous Gov. Although a lot here choose not to acknowledge this.

Not defending what the Cons did then, but they had to do something, didn't they ?. And of course, you can not always tell if you did something right or wrong, until you have the benefit of hindsight.

Like everything Labour has done in 13 years, was right……. 🙄

Thing is we needed a clean break from what has been going on, and the public have missed a chance to do this.

What a mess !.

CC.

zaskar
    Free Member

Doom mongers again…just like the forum covered in Lib Dems and they won bugger all.

Its about Labour not Gordon Brown…we're not USA voting for a president.

Now we have to wait what Clegg will decide to back and in exchange for what.

I'm just wondering when it will be sorted.

Shame only 65% ppl got to vote.

I think Labour did well considering the media want them out and some of the muck ups they did.

Goodbye NHS if Dave gets in and unless you're on £150K min you will lose out.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I think everyone who voted libdem knew it could only govern in a coalition of some sort. Of course, a cons-lib coalition would have 59.1% (current figures). Either way the majority of the country get their choice of representation

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Its about Labour not Gordon Brown…we're not USA voting for a president.

Pity no one told Gordon Brown that. I think the presidential style of politics is part responsible for their demise.

I see that Cameron has now picked up the poison chalice.

He won't get Clegg to drink though.

It'll be a minority Govt, not a coalition, then the Tories will crash and burn in a year or two (I hope).

allthepies
    Free Member

>It'll be a minority Govt, not a coalition, then the Tories will crash and burn in a year or two (I hope).

Regardless of how any tory administration actually runs the country in that period ? You actually want the country to fail over that period just to get the tories out ? Isn't that the "old politics" your man kept banging on about ?

zaskar
    Free Member

Whoever wins I want the country to do well so I and everyone else has a job!

And Britain to get back to being a strong economical power!

They need to put the differences aside and sort it out asap or markets could go either way.

I still think 65% turnover is rubbish.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

egardless of how any tory administration actually runs the country in that period ? You actually want the country to fail over that period just to get the tories out ? Isn't that the "old politics" your man kept banging on about ?

Well it depends what you think the options are – realistically.

I happen to think that any party would have a tough time in Govt over the next couple of years, so the least worst option would be what I've outlined.

But if you like I could pretend that I think there is an option for the Tories to do really really well for the country and wish for that.

There, is that better?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Time for Gordon Brown to go’ is closed to new replies.