Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • recomend me some night riding lights.
  • wolfrider
    Free Member

Can anybody recomend me some good night lights for off road riding.budgets around 80 pounds and what lumen should I be looking at?

mikey74
    Free Member

Niterider Lumina 650 – brilliant light.

radoggair
    Free Member

‘search forum’ is your friend on this one

to help you out

zelak999
    Free Member

Check out torchy the battery boy on Fleabay.
    Awesome lights at a great price, never fails to impress 😉

grtdkad
    Free Member

Troute lights. No question. Chris has even relaunched the Liberator but 20% brighter !!!

http://troutie.com/Products

sefton
    Free Member

50 quid and its yours (4 free batteries too)

Rockape
    Free Member

Have a look at these 🙂 http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/ I have the older model to these but it’s been brilliant. A couple of my mates have also got lights from mtb batteries and have never had any problems.

radoggair
    Free Member

budgets around 80 pounds and what

Troute lights. No question. Chris has even relaunched the Liberator but 20% brighter !!!

didn’t quite read the question?

singlecrack
    Free Member

A bit over your budget but this is a cracking little light
    http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/gloworm-x1-led-light-system—cree-xm-l-u3-850-lumens-1936-p.asp

allewis

I bought one of these from amazon “iaMOutdoor 1200 Lumen Rechargeable Waterproof Head Torch & Bike Light” and it does the job. Only £30 and seems pretty well put together. Only used it a couple of times but so far so good.

headpotdog
    Free Member

CandB Seen. £45 for 1200 lumen light kits. £90 buys you a set for both helmet and bars. Bargain!!!

Link

grtdkad
    Free Member

[/quote]budgets around 80 pounds

Ok. Failed to read the question. Thing is, stretch to buy a proper robust 2000 lumen light off Troute for £210 and it’ll last you for years. Use mine a couple of nights per week, its super bright, won’t let you down and will have a residual value.

You pay your money and make your choice.

mikey74
    Free Member

Twas me that didn’t read the OP 😳

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

2 of these bike lights at just 23 quid each with uk charger you coud have 1 for the bars one for the helmet!!!
    or a hope vision 1 here still within budget!!

radoggair
    Free Member

Ok. Failed to read the question. Thing is, stretch to buy a proper robust 2000 lumen light off Troute for £210 and it’ll last you for years. Use mine a couple of nights per week, its super bright, won’t let you down and will have a residual value.

and they are great lights, no question. I personally use the £23 ones of ebay, 2 for offroad. Bought a different lens for them to make the light more spread rather than a spot, so for £50 all in have 2 lights with spreadable light that last for years, weigh not alot and does not break the bank

ryderredman
    Free Member

In all honesty I cant recommend my chinese one from ebay enough, even came in a very knock off looking box. For 26 pound I dont think you can argue, suits me great for my commute to work, not so much if you want it strapping to a lid.

If your after spending the cash elsewhere for now as it will hopefully be getting a bit brighter 🙂 Otherwise I’d say go for the one on mtbbatteries.

snax

If you can stretch a little more, I would look at the Glow-Worm X1 or brighter X2. I used the X2 for the Strathpuffer and winter training and its the dogs do-dars… best light I have owned in a long long time! I will be getting the X1 for my lid light, and also ultra-running to replace my dyeing Petzl.

jedi

i use a troutie dominator. will hopefully be trying some glow worm lights soon 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Bit over budget, but I just got a Luminator off Smudge ( MTB Batteries ) and its awesome.

Certainly saved me neck the other night whilst descending and turning a corner into sheet ice 😯 wouldn’t have seen it with my last lights.

Good quality light and battery pack

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Hope Vision 1 is a bit weak for offroad though – I have one…

The C&B seen ones might be good from Amazon – any trouble within warranty and Amazon are pretty good normally.

Otherwise Smudge is probably your best bet.

gonzy
    Free Member

CandB Seen. £45 for 1200 lumen light kits. £90 buys you a set for both helmet and bars. Bargain!!!

i’ve been running a set of these for a few months now and they’ve been brilliant. i use them every day and there’s not been any issues with its performance.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I bought one of these from amazon “iaMOutdoor 1200 Lumen Rechargeable Waterproof Head Torch & Bike Light” and it does the job. Only £30 and seems pretty well put together. Only used it a couple of times but so far so good.

This – were only £20 too the other week so I bought some as it was cheaper than buying a new charger to replace the broken one on my other lights. So now got a 900 lumen Spoke light on the bars and 1200 lumen iaMOutdoor light on me bonce for less than £100. For the amount I use them, they really cannot be faulted.

SubstanceD
    Free Member

flashy – Ayyup about $200GBP for two

Cheap – Deal extreme chinese jobbies about $60GBP for two

Honestly the performance betyween the two is more or less the shame, the ayyups look great though and are much lighter/smaller, better casing designs etc – but once your riding – can’t tell the difference really

DezB
    Free Member

Cheap – Deal extreme chinese jobbies about $60GBP for two

Or even cheaper from Ebay sellers (if you’re prepared to wait for delivery).
    I got one of the £17 “1800 lumen” ones (there’s a thread about them somewhere) and it’s amazing for the money. Budget of £80? buy 4!
    The light output is very much a spot with a dimmer halo, but the spot has such an amazing throw that it works just fine.

tomaso
    Free Member

Some of those twin XML jobbies that look remarkably similar to an old Hope Vision 2 look like good value at around the ton.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Exposure Maxx Ds are good; that reminds me I need to sell my spare Maxx D.

composite
    Free Member

Here’s something I wrote about the options that I use.
    http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/2012/11/trail-lights/

There are certainly some better lights in this thread already but the ones I mention in the blog post are working for me at the moment.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Another C&B Seen user here.

A lot of riders in the group I ride with have them with 0 complaints from anyone.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Magicshine MJ-872 can be had for £80

dhyetiman
    Free Member

The Chinese ones that everyone talks of are exactly the same as these….

http://www.evomtb.co.uk/1800lumenbikelightsuperbright

But they come with a uk charger and from the uk so no long postage waits, at that price I’d find it hard to justify buying anything more expensive!!!

IHN

Another C&B Seen user here. Very happy.

neninja
    Free Member

A word of warning about the very cheap lights. There’s a reason they can sell them so cheaply – the cells are often rejects or recycled from used laptop battery packs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/exploding-battery-pack-cree-xm-lt6-led-bicycle-light-837382.html

yunki
    Free Member

I cannot find fault with the Lumenator from Smudge at MTB batteries..

A completely different league from the chinese ebay stuff.. the batteries are sealed within a purpose built rubber casing, and the beam is outstanding..

He has a very good reputation for customer service too

DezB
    Free Member

the cells are often rejects or recycled from used laptop battery packs.

Funny, I’ve never come across a laptop that uses 18650 batteries.

Still, Smudge’s V2 at £89 has gotta be the one to go for. Health and Safety an all that 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

Funny, I’ve never come across a laptop that uses 18650 batteries.

If you ever open a laptop battery (which I am not suggesting you do) you will find a cluster of 18650 cells. The 18650 cell is kinda an industry standard cell, used for many, many, applications.

I didn’t realize the really cheap lilghts were recycling 18650 cells.

Frightening really.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Off to take my old laptop power supply apart to make a spare battery!!

alpin
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

Bought a different lens for them to make the light more spread rather than a spot, so for £50 all in have 2 lights with spreadable light that last for years, weigh not alot and does not break the bank
    Posted 1 day ago # Report-Post

where did you find the spare lens and which (assuming there are more than one available) did you go for?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I didn’t realize the really cheap lilghts were recycling 18650 cells.

read torchy’s page here – the Ultrafires are one of the offenders:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

Ultrafire proved to be pretty dire as expected. …

What wasn’t expected was under the wrapper of Ultrafire 3000mAh, 3600mAh and 4000mAH a shiny new cap has been fitted. When this is removed, it is clear that they are reclaimed laptop batteries. The spot welds of the tabs can be seen on the base and positive terminal. In the example below, they haven’t even bothered to remove all of the tab:

PolisherMan

C&B Seen here too. got the £32 one. awesome!

And very helpful too….

DezB
    Free Member

I just got spammed cos of this thread! Some electrical testing company tossbags:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘recomend me some night riding lights.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM