Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recessed lighting
  • CaptainSlow

Thinking of installing some down lights and have some questions for those that have done it.

This first ones a bit of a dumb one, but what do you do with the hole in the middle of the room from the old lighting? Do you use it in the layout, fill it or plaster over? 😯

Also, does anyone have any experience fitting these http://www.downlights.co.uk/insulation-covered-downlight-fixed.html

If I’m reading this right I wouldn’t need an additional insulation barrier.

I’d be running LEDs as the main purpose is lots of light delivered cheaply.

kilo

This will be of no use but. We have recessed lighting, Mrs kilo wanted it, my old school electrician advised me against it and I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it. Sodding wire clips that never fit back properly, changing a bulb invovles an hour of swearing and we now have fittings which take only one specific make and model of bulb as no other gu4 bulb will fit. HATE HATE HATE!

trail_rat
    Free Member

meanwhile over here in 240v GU10 world – with LEDS id use them in certain rooms – kitchens/bathrooms/hallways. wouldnt put them in bedrooms or livingrooms – would give me a headache 😀

changing bulbs is easy as you like with my bnq value gu10s.

CaptainSlow

It would be a 240v gu10 led setup if that helps 🙂

Mostly downstairs with a mix in the living room perhaps.

I need to find a good sparky – will be interested to see if he’s in the no camp too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw – unless the layout requires one in the middle of the room – i wouldnt put one in the hole- id patch it over – probably make it bigger – stick some new board behind it , screw it down and plaster over it + final skim over it.

the hole left usually be too big for filler/plaster alone without some backing – dont just stick newspaper in it as i found behind some of my previous owners (cracked) patchwork.

CaptainSlow

cool, will do, thx TR

Lloyd
    Free Member

CS if you don’t require any light where the old pendant was, just use one of the new cut out discs you’ve made with the holesaw for installing the new downlights, then screw the disc in and use filler to blend in where the pendant was.

Aurora fittings you’re looking at are good. Just make sure you buy the correct size holesaw. Depending on how you’re wiring them and in what cable you might want to factor in a 5amp joint box per fitting, twin and earth to joint box then flex from joint box to fitting.

spegsteratmsndotcom if you require anymore info/help.

pymwymis
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that they do exactly what they say on the tin. They light downwards and not very much around. For that reason I would not put them anywhere you stand to work etc eg kitchen as you will permanently be working in your own shadow.

I have spent years gradually removing them from my house for this one reason. Replacing them with similar
    Bulbs which fire sideways from a bar or suchlike gives a far more even spread of light /fewer shadows.

divenwob
    Free Member

Have a look at Click lighting,
    fire and acoustic rated versions do not require fire hoods,
    nice big terminations so no need for junction boxes,
    can wire all connections and then click fit the lamp fitting so no need to have the fitting hanging whilst you wire, all good.
    When looking at led lamps you need to check the colour i,e, warm,neutral or cool white,cool usually being brightest/cleanest.
    Also beware that anything below 4w will leave you wondering why you bothered.With this type of lighting you most definately “reap what you sow” so take your time choosing and you should be a happy convert,good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recessed lighting’ is closed to new replies.