Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reassurance needed. Carbon/steel.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

This is another one of those posts I need to write just to get other peoples views of the carbon/steel pros/cons debate.

Scenario. Having realised I can’t cut it in the upper echelons of vets road racing, I’d already decided to just race circuit races at my local venue, maybe one or two forays into open road racing. I’m not racing this year BTW. So actual racing will be perhaps 13 circuit races a year and maybe one road race (re starting next year)

So the frames. I get a very good deal on Giants, I was going to buy a Defy Advanced SL with the ISP.
    What I actually really really like are Colnago Masters and a few other new breed steel race bikes.
    The Defy is technically a better frame, my head knows that.
    The steel is ‘nicer’ and will bring pleasure even when I don’t race, as would the Defy.
    This head over heart.

So I want the steel, but I know the Defy would be far lighter, climb and sprint better that’s what evolution has done. But how much better, enough to regret buying steel?

I’m not after a retro steel bike, it would be SRAM (which I have) a set of 1400g standard profile wheels and top end Deda finishing kit.

Watching city centre racing is encouraging with steel frames quite often at the fore, and that’s just a super fast version of the worst I’d be doing.

mickmcd
    Free Member

theres a relatively simple answer to this problem

its called a Colnago c60

failing that a master will suffice and if your really after a new school steel race frame cross ricky feathers palm with silver or go and see harry at field cycles in sheffield if you want a **** killer paintjob to boot

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its the rider, not the bike.

Buy what you enjoy riding and DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Colnago master is a dinosaur, a very beautiful one but not an ideal racing machine.
    Something in Columbus spirit/oversize 853/deda would be much better suited especially if it has ‘modern’ oversize head tubes and a decent carbon fork. Whatever you choose is going to be around £1k upwards
    I just ordered a Chesini prima which would make a decent race frame (there are loads of options out there, I’m not just recommending what I have just bought) 1,1/4 – 1,1/8 head tube, oversize spirit tubeset, semi-compact geometry and not a silly tall ‘sportive’ head tube. Personally I wouldn’t entertain a skinny lugged frame, they usually weigh a ton.
    Failing that just buy a boring carbon frame 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to race a Master back in the 80’s/90’s, nice bike but would feel a bit dull now. If you still want to keep your racing competitive, Go Giant.
    If you are chillin like Ice Cream Fillin, go with the Master.

HTH, probably doesn’t, but hey I think you know what your heart says 8)

oldgit
    Free Member

MrSmith any idea of your Chesini’s weight? Not that I’m after one, just getting an idea of where we are now. I looked at Condors and was pretty suprised and not in a good way at the weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty old steel frames are 1.7kg – how much lighter are modern ones?

Not that light bikes are actually faster of course.

oldgit
    Free Member

A lot of modern ones are heavier than that. My 1982 steel is lighter than most new alu frames though?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Supposedly 1600g 1900g with the fork though I’ll not bother weighing it when it arrives. It will be just over 17.5lbs built up which will be a little bit lighter than my pegoretti. Spirit is about as light as you go with oversize steel as it’s .5 at the thick end of the butting whereas most other tube sets are .8
    If you are a weight weenie you don’t buy steel bikes, but I never feel I’m dragging the bike around when they ride well and are 18lbs and under (good wheels help).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Get two, a lower spec carbon Giant for strapping a number too, and an Enigma or something similar for Sunday riding.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Plenty old steel frames are 1.7kg – how much lighter are modern ones?

Not by much, but it’s what modern steels allow you to do with the tube dimensions, like 38mm/42mm down tubes that are butted .5 -.38 – .5 that weigh 220g

A low end 31mm chromor downtube is 350g so heavier and not as stiff, older frames will be heavier and with smaller O/D

cynic-al
    Free Member

Id be interested to ride one. One of steel frames joys is the flex which I suspect would be lost (I hated my OS steel Ibis Mojo).

Kuco

Some nice steel bike on this thread.

Though my Cannondale Supersix is a joy to ride I seem to keep looking at an Enigma Elite.

benji
    Free Member

I’ve got carbon, aluminium and steel bikes, the one I like riding most is the steel one it just rides so nicely. I’ve got to the point I ride what makes me smile, at the level most of us are riding the marginal gains aren’t worth fretting about. Most of the really quick guys will be quick on whatever you gave them.

scotroutes

If you’ve accepted the fact that you’ve never actually going to win any of these races then what difference does it make if you finish 5-10 places lower just because you’re on a bike you prefer riding and makes you happier?

cynic-al
    Free Member

benji – Member
    I’ve got carbon, aluminium and steel bikes, the one I like riding most is the steel one it just rides so nicely. I’ve got to the point I ride what makes me smile, at the level most of us are riding the marginal gains aren’t worth fretting about. Most of the really quick guys will be quick on whatever you gave them.

IKWYM. I sold my Ritchey and lost 6-700gm going to a Roubaix then CAAD10, which I do like, but I still hanker after steel.

scotroutes – Member
    If you’ve accepted the fact that you’ve never actually going to win any of these races then what difference does it make if you finish 5-10 places lower just because you’re on a bike you prefer riding and makes you happier?

I’d be extremely surprised if it made 5-10 places of difference.

scotroutes

Fair do’s. Makes the point even stronger then.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF is that druid? Agreeing?

I may have to review your Big Hitter Brotherhood membership…

oldgit
    Free Member

Though I decided not to race this year, I did get one win, two thirds and I think 27 top tens in 2013. So although I’m way off being a big hitter there is still a competitive edge buried deep down inside.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reassurance needed. Carbon/steel.’ is closed to new replies.