Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rear shock stuck down
  • chrisg1664
    Free Member

I have a RS monarch plus rc3 debonair. Its had about 10hrs riding time in its life.
    Recently it has been sticking down after a short time riding the bike and I can’t figure out what it is.
    I took the air sleeve off and thought the problem may have been the volume spacers sliding up and blocking the air port to the negative chamber. I’ve moved them and it’s still happening.
    Has anyone any ideas why it’s doing this? I could really do without the cost of a full service at the moment, especially if its a simple fix.
    TIA

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What bike is it on?
    If its a Spec Enduro then yes the fix is simple ( but not cheap)

scotroutes

This takes me back. It used to happen with the RP3 on my Stumpjumper and was always related to cold weather. Unscrewing the can always resolved it but you had to be careful not to damage your hand as it went with a bit of a bang.

chrisg1664
    Free Member

Thegeneralist yes its a 2017 Spec Enduro. Have you any pointers?

The weather has made no difference to when it happens and removing the air sleeve hasn’t helped.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thegeneralist yes its a 2017 Spec Enduro. Have you any pointers?

The generally accepted solution is an Ohlins Coil. Personally speaking, by the time I got that far ( 4 broken warramty Monarchs) I just couldn’t wait to get rid, so when they finally put on Ohlins on I cut my losses and sold the bike.

Some very kind soul on here gave me the info etc to keep pushing Spec. He kept his and, last I heard, it was working fine.

weeksy

We had it with the lads Ohlins, we resolved it with a Bikeyoke conversion and a simple Monarch RL shock.

I had the same with an RC3+ shock, well actually 2 of them. One went back under warranty, the other went in the bin.

Wibble89
    Free Member

Air somehow burping to the negative chamber during compression, likely a damaged seal or foreign object/scratch in the grove under the seals.

Order up an air can service kit for £15 and replace all the air can seals.

If you’ve previously taken off the air can then you definitely have the skills to do the air can service as you’ve done the difficult bit which is simply getting brave enough to have a go.

A full service for £100+ wont do any more to help than the air can service as the damper isn’t the issue.

hooli

I had it with mine (although it had done a lot more hours). A full shock service from TFtuned solved it, they said it was one of the seals that is routinely replaced with a full service.

submarined
    Free Member

A mate had this with a Monarch on a similar she Jeffsy. Happened twice I think. Air can service did nothing. Needed warrantying. Twice, I think 🙁 would have been a full service job, not just air can.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock stuck down’ is closed to new replies.