Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rear Mudhugger – A good fit on a Specialized Camber Evo 2015?
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a rear Mudhugger but was just wondering if these provide a good fit on a Specialized Camber Evo 2015 ? Just that these are nearly £30 they aren’t cheap so don’t want to buy one and regret it.

Have heard people having problems with certain types of bike of the mudhuggers sending excessive mud into the rear brake or onto the cassette, so they don’t seem to work with every type of bike, was wondering if they work well with mine before ordering.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The best rear mudguard out there . will be perfect for your Camber . I,ve run one on various bikes including a Camber and know lots of people who use them and have never heard of issues with mud in the brake or casette in fact I can’t really see how that could happen .

pictonroad

Chap I ride with has an epic 29er, he had to buy the optional extension for his mudhugger as the standard wasn’t long enough.

Garry_Lager

The only problem with them is that if your bike chainstay angle is low the mudhugger can come up short in its coverage. They sell an extender for this situation – they’re also v helpful on the phone with fit issues.

The camber chainstays look low-ish to me so I’d have thought an extender was in order – no experience with this bike, though, so obv defer to those who have like Ramsey above.

james
    Free Member

you can gain more clearance under bottom out by taking a half round file to the top edge of the hugger where it meets the back of the seattube. File out the stiffening brace on the inside of the hugger where the tyre meets at this point and also the moulding pip on the inside edge of the hugger

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

From memory I thought they did 2 different angled mudguards to accommodate different angled seat stays .

grannyjone
    Free Member

The best rear mudguard out there . will be perfect for your Camber . I,ve run one on various bikes including a Camber and know lots of people who use them and have never heard of issues with mud in the brake or casette in fact I can’t really see how that could happen

Okay thanks
    I’m not sure how these other’s have had problems, just found these complaints online when doing a search, but as they had different types of bikes to me I thought it might not effect me.

grannyjone
    Free Member

From memory I thought they did 2 different angled mudguards to accommodate different angled seat stays

The website doesn’t give me any choice, other than a rear mudguard for 27.5/29 inch wheels or 26 inch wheels.

4eyes
    Free Member

I tried one on my camber and was disappointed with it. I was still getting a lot of mud up my back. I’m sure an extender would of sorted it but I felt they’d already had enough of my money. I’ve since put it onto my hard tail and it really works well with the higher seat stays.

grannyjone
    Free Member

That makes bad news.

I’m going to try it out tomorrow for a ride. I’ve already got 2x Guards on the front (One mounted to that thing above the front wheel, the other on the down tube) but have always suffered from the lack of a rear.

It’s £8 for the extender which means after paying £27.50 it would cost £35.5 total for a rear mudguard.

I’m disappointed with the price but the ‘feel’ of getting very wet and muddy is ruining my enjoyment of mountain biking & the mud has been getting into my drive train, seat post, suspension & brakes which is a nightmare & is messing things up mid-ride, not to mention prolonging the after-ride jet wash.

Seeing as I’ve already made the bulk of the investment, might as well pay the bit extra to get the complete ‘package’.

The mud is now getting really bad if it’s not kept under control. My ride on Wednesday was shocking it really has suddenly gone a lot worse. I’m not going to suffer like I did last year with just a basic crud catcher. If it takes 3X Mudguards + an extender then that’s what it’s going to have to be.
    It pisses me off that we live in a country with such bad conditions and some countries don’t have to even bother with mudguards and stay completely mud free and dry.

pictonroad

What sir needs is a rigid singlespeed festooned permanently with all of mudhugger’s finest AND a crud catcher. It’s standard fare for riding in winter here. The proper bikes go in the shed for 3 months and we bring the mud pigs out.

It’s not pleasant without a rear mudhugger, you get covered in slop from head to toe.

davros

I’ve got one on my camber and can confirm it works very well keeping the majority of mud off. I don’t have an extender and do get small amounts of spray over my backpack. But it keeps you dry where it counts.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I really couldn’t ride a rigid singlespeed. Not unless I permenantly went out to ride smoother and less steep stuff than now.
    I struggle enough in my lowest gear on my 1×10 setup (30 tooth chain ring on a 29er is not easy!) and my hands hurt enough on the rough stuff as it is even with a 120mm fork 29er tyres and a rear shock! I’m battered after todays ride and couldn’t possibly consider rigid.

Completely agree that it’s not pleasant without a mudhugger. I think they’re essential from December-February at the least.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Anyway this is the latest on the mudhugger.

Firstly I tried it out yesterday on a ride over cobbles and it was making loads of noise on anything rough. So I had to cut all the zip ties to apply more helli tape.
    Unfortunately because I’d cut up all the zip ties that came with it, I had to use my own. I found that they were all either too thick to fit through the holes in the mudhugger or that they were too brittle.
    I ended up putting 6 of the brittle type on and took it for a ride. The mudhugger was still making loads of noise then eventually fell off when all the zip ties snapped (just riding on rough stuff caused them to break).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

That’s a review of your fitting abilities , not a review of the Mudhugger .

pictonroad

There’s 6 of them on various bikes in my riding group including an epic. (I’ve got a Camber) You’re doing something wrong, they just ‘work’. Zip ties snap occasionally when you knock them getting on but that’s it.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got ones fitted to my 5 (26″) and Fuel Ex (27.5″) and they are faultless, even surviving multiple days at BPW without issue. The Trek has a 29er version on it, as recommended by them, and I get hardly any splashes on my pack even on really bleak days! The only ‘mod’ I had to do to it was pack a second layer of helitape under the top 2-3cms as the seatstays do have a slight curve at the top, this cured any slight rattle I had previously.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Yes I know my fitting ability is poor. It’s because I’ve only been mountain biking regularly/semi-regularly for just 3 years so will have to give it more time to improve.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mudhugger – A good fit on a Specialized Camber Evo 2015?’ is closed to new replies.