Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rear Hubs – engaging options
  • Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

I’m getting very distracted trying to choose a 28h rear hub with a good engagement to price ratio.

I’ve a Hope 4 on one wheelset – that’s fine.
    My lighter duties bike has a Roval (DT Swiss 360?) and it’s really lacking engagement, but I don’t want to splash Hope money on a replacement.
    Looking for a 12×148 28h HG isn’t helping, but it’s hard to find something at a good price.
    Novatec seemed a good option, but I can’t for the life of me figure out which of their hubs are any good.

Any suggestions?

Premier Icon Daffy

Can’t you just change the ratchet in your DT Swiss hub to make it engage faster?

Premier Icon househusband

Bitex; 54pt engagement – I have a set built up by DCR Wheels.

Premier Icon TheGhost

The Bontrager Rapid Drive rear hubs are 28h and have 54 teeth. You can add 3 more pawls to take them to 108t.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-components/bike-hubs-and-hub-parts/bontrager-rapid-drive-54-boost-rear-hub/p/26160/

Great engagement but they will make your Hope Pro4 feel slow and agricultural. I also have an I9 Hydra but still feel good riding the fast Bontrager hub. I sold all my Hope hubbed wheels after getting used to fast engagement.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

@daffy – it’s the crappy pawls hub that’s fairly expensive to upgrade to the ratchet system.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

Do you ride a full sus?

Is a faster-engaging hub better?

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

No, hardtail. It’s the tight technical climbs where i’m ratcheting a fair bit where it’s flipping annoying.

Premier Icon hatter

The only way to make a hub engage faster is to use a finer mechanism with more, smaller teeth, so there will always be a trade off between engagement and long term reliability.

If you’re not afraid to service them regularly them you can offset this but if you’re more of a ‘fit and forget’ rider a slower hub may be a better idea as it will generally go for longer without failing as things inevitably get in past the seals.

That said…. luck plays a fairly large part so I’m sure someone will be along in a second to say that they run XXXX hub that cost £30, engages instantly and never went wrong.

Premier Icon davros

Bitex as above. Not too noisy either.

There’s a thread on the DT Swiss 3 pawl to ratchet conversion. Expensive but might be less expensive than buying a new hub and rebuilding your wheel.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Shimano XT.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

Fair enough for a hardtail, there’s no real downside to faster engaging. I still reckon it’s much more of a ‘feels nice’ than any performance enhancement.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I replaced the wheelset on my Occam due to the slow engagement of the DT hubs. It was really bloody annoying.

Premier Icon luket

I’ve got some hubs that in hindsight I don’t think I’d choose again over Hope even if they’re significantly cheaper. Lighter than Hope but less well sealed and creating much more regular maintenance than I’d like. Depends on how much winter use though I guess. That’s a Halo and, annoyingly, a quite expensive Newmen. But when I spoke to a wheel builder he suggested that the other value options, like Novatec/Bitex, were similarly sealed to my Halo, where Hope/DT are much better in this regard.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Might be easiest/cheaper to get a Fortus 26 / Bontrager Line and keep the Roval as a spare.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.