Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Really thick/solid grease..?
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

Any suggestions for the thickest/most solid grease readily available?

I want to use it to seal my external bottom bracket bearings under the top hat to stop water getting to the bearing. (This is a cheapo bottom bracket and not very well sealed…)

I’m thinking of something that is practically solid at room temperature.

Cheers

AndyP
    Free Member

Lard?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

at the risk of being a stuck record putoline chain wax. Only available by the kilo for under £20 tho and I doubt it would actually make much difference

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Why not try a smear of instant gasket? Havent used this myself on a bike, but very durable in car applications.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For sealing stuff, it’s hard to beat hot candle wax dripped into whatever you want to seal (someone sugested this for SPD cleats).

I like the Rock and Roll range of greases (super coat for non moving parts, super web for bearings, super slick for seals/bushings), I’d just use some cheep high melting point stuff from halfords, and lots of it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

at the risk of being a stuck record putoline chain wax. Only available by the kilo for under £20 tho and I doubt it would actually make much difference

That’d make one hell of a mess pouring it in! Great chain wax though in all but really shitty conditions where nothing survives.

rootes1

a nice tractor / agri grease… or

boat trailer hub grease

wheeliejim
    Free Member

You know lard is what is was thinking 🙂

Is there a grease equivilent of lard?

bigrich

waterproof grease from a marine supplies shop. you can cut it a bit with softer grease to get it moving!

rootes1
    ransos
    Free Member

Comma motor bearing grease is pretty good. They sell it in Halfords.

nealy
    Free Member

Rock n Roll Super Web Grease, awesome stuff but marine grease is a good idea too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2611

motorman
    Free Member

Catrol water pump grease…

Catrol grease

Then wrap in self amalgamation tape

Works for fatbike riding on beach all the time 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

motorman +1. Castrol water pump grease is what you need. I use it on my vintage Morris. Thicker than a thick thing.

legend
    Free Member

Dow Corning High Vacuum grease is weapon of choice for aircraft applications here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Really thick/solid grease..?’ is closed to new replies.