Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Really boring Friday night kitchen pots and pans thread.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

New kitchen ordered today.
    Old kitchen is lock stock **** including the pans, The rivets on our current pans have rotted through. – 13 year old uncoated stainless steel pans that have done well.

Want to replace. Them with the new kitchen.

Have gone for an induction hob.

Don’t want non stick

Must be dishwasher safe.

Would like them to be oven safe – current pots have rubber handle covers and are not oven safe

I have a cast iron skillet ….always walking on egg shells with it so don’t want cast iron + doesn’t like dishwasher.

What have you that fits this. – based on what we cook I think we are looking for a set of 4 pots and 2 frying pans / frying pan and a lidded casserole pan.

easygirl

We got a set of stainless steel copper bottomed pans fron cosco about 10 years ago, they have been brilliant pans, still look as good today as when we bought them

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Our stainless pans are 21 years old, got them as a moving in present for the the wife’s grandparents, both of whom have since passed on.

No use to you, but hey! ☺

trail_rat
    Free Member

Copper bottom no good.

You’d think it be easy to find a set of all stainless pans that look like they would last a while…..but they just don’t make them like they used to.

Ironically our frying pan has faired the best of all our pans and it was the cheapest non coated stainless steel pan Tesco did….. Perhaps there’s a lesson to be learned there.

lunge

Head to Nisbetts, they’ll have something I’m sure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never heard of them.

They have a few candidates.

Look good for seeing off intruders too

lunge

Nisbetts are mainly a trade supplier but sell to the public. They’re my go to for anything food or drink related.

CraigW
    Free Member

Old kitchen is lock stock **** including the pans, The rivets on our current pans have rotted through. – 13 year old uncoated stainless steel pans that have done well.

That happened on my pans. So I drilled out the rivets, and replaced them with stainless steel nuts and bolts. Has been working fine for a couple of years now. The rest of the pans are in decent condition, no need to replace them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive done that for now wife doesn’t like it and I have to admit it does look pretty grim

peekay

Similar situation to you with moving to induction and old pans not being compatible.

Have splurged on a full set of Le Creuset 3 ply stainless pans. Family members have the same models and they still look good after nearly 10 years. Set up a price alert on amazon and got them at a good discount.
    Pans are something used every day and having crap ones is frustrating, hopefully I’ll get a lifetime of use out of these so the initial cost becomes less significant.

Now my quandary is what to do with my old, non induction compatible pans. Great quality Sheffield stainless steel ones that were bought for my parents as a wedding gift around 40 years, all my childhood meals cooked in them, then handed to my sister when my parents went induction, then on to me when she did.

DezB
    Free Member

We were talking about this earlier. My brother,wasted money on overpriced Le Croushit stuff, designed for middle class ranges and country kitchens. Came to realise I was right, when I told him Tefal stuff just works. Doesnt cost stupid money so you can replace it without caring, but most Tefal stuff just lasts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tefals what we have ATM.

It’s lasted ok but not great. And has annoying features.

slowoldman

I’ve got some Tefal “Jamie Oliver”. No don’t laugh they are very good. Also some Anolon and Le Creuset which are very similar. Good solid bases and heavily riveted handles.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Le creuset TNS here, they might be NS but I assume you mean a coating that scratches off which these def never will, it’s ingrain in the pan rather than a coating. Great pans but weigh quite a bit so I’m always thinking at some point I’ll probs smash the induction hob. They’re for life pans or premium brand pans to get your money back if you sell on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dez, I agree if you’re talking about mthe creuset non stick stuff, it’s a bit shit, but my big enamel/cast casserole pan will survive the nuclear holocaust.

IHN

My pans are 17 years old, John Lewis stainless steel jobs, used daily, dishwashed, faultless. They were a wedding present from, ahem, a previous wedding…

My mum is still using the pans I had before that, bought in a starter set from Ikea in 1999. I’m still using the non stick frying pan from that same set.

So I’ll say John Lewis or IKEA.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hahahaha le crusette 375 quid for 3 Tri wall pans.

Lol.

No don’t think so. 200 quid seemed alot for the nisbitts but can see them lasting for a long time

I’m not paying 375 quid.

peekay

@trail_rat

Hahahaha le crusette 375 quid for 3 Tri wall pans.

Use CamelCamelCamel or another tool to track the price on Amazon and set an alert. The 3 pan set occasionally drops from RRP of £375 to around £225 which is much more acceptable. Pans for life.

petec
    Free Member

i think the reason the rivets go in a stainless pan is because they’re aluminium, and dishwashers and aluminium don’t mix

so…going forward, either get stainless rivets, or don’t put them in the dishwasher…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well the latter ain’t happening who got time to be hand washing shit.

Bad enough I gotta hand wash the sharp knives.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My stainless pans are spot welded, not riveted.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

When you say

Don’t want non stick

Must be dishwasher safe.

Got to ask the question why and why.

Non stick is your friend, it doesn’t have to be Teflon. Scratch resistant is available. It’s not great for all pans but it’s absolutely the right thing for some.

Non stick does not preclude dishwashering.

Decent (non stick) pans should be easy enough to clean that a quick once round with a (copper or steel) brillo is easier than the dishwasher. Only If it’s really baked on does it get both.

Buy pans that suit what you use them for, not a set. A cast iron skillet is absolutely the right thing for cooking steak, it’s utterly crap compared with a 5 quid Teflon coated aluminium pan for frying an egg.

A SAUCEpan should be aluminum (or copper). You need it to cool quickly and retain little heat once off the burner.

Stock pots should be steel they should heat evenly and hold their heat over a small burner for hours without developing hot spots.

Frying pans and most daily pans should be aluminium, or, if you’re feeling very flash, solid copper. At least one should be non stick. They should get hot fast, not hold much heat and clean easily.

There’s little reason for not getting a non stick pan these days. Baletti do some nice reasonably priced ones, as do berghoff.

Oven-able is good for a decent sized frying pan and one or two decent sized casserole pans, with anything else you’ll likely never use it in the oven. Get something that won’t burn your hands.

Super market own “extra pricey” pans are, by and large, pretty good for the money.

Matching pans is like having a sofa that’s the same colour as the dog.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got some Tefal “Jamie Oliver”.

They were* great kit. Mixed material, suitable for the job at hand and hard wearing.

*then someone came along and said oh that milk pan doesn’t have a copper base, that skillet is too heavy and now you have a set of pans which look lovely and cook like a 10 quid aldi jobs.

Bad enough I gotta hand wash the sharp knives.

You only need to hand wash pans for the same reason. Your sharp knives will do fine in a loose packed dishwasher with liquid detergent and no abrasives, as will your glasses.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sticking isn’t something we have ever had an issue with.

And Because it will end up in the dishwasher

That’s why we bought it – to wash dishes .we already avoid using the skillet because it needs a hand wash.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

https://i.postimg.cc/nLYxMZbk/IMG-20200703-223440.jpg

Dishwasher safe if you must, aluminium, non stick, less than a minute from hob to draining board because it’s non stick.

Honestly, if you’re having to [edit] spend significant time to [/edit] wash it, it’s because you are having a problem with it sticking.

grum
    Free Member

Procook professional stainless steel range for me. Very happy with them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Honestly, if you’re having to [edit] spend significant time to [/edit] wash it, it’s because you are having a problem with it sticking.

No one mentioned significant time

I just do not want to stand and wash pots.

slowol

Look for spot welded handles. We had two sets of similar quality stainless pans. The riveted ones were recently replaced because the rivets rotted and went loose, the spot welded look cheaper but are still shiny and more of less as new 15+ years on.

For casseroles the standard enameled Le Cruset is great and goes in the dishwasher. We also got given an enameled ‘paella pan’ to match which is like a large frying pan with a lid which is great and goes in the dishwasher fine. The similar looking enameled pans from supermarkets (eg Aldi) are probably just as good.

slowoldman

Well the latter ain’t happening who got time to be hand washing shit.

Here at Maison Slowoldman we hand wash everything.

mattg73
    Free Member

Thumbs up for the Le Creuset SS. On offer a few years back at around £250 for the set of 3. very heavy but feel they will last an age. Plus they are a thing of beauty!

77ric
    Free Member

Ikea’s better stainless steel pans have a 25yr guarantee. We had our kitchen done last year and bought the pans from Ikea and they have been great and no reason to believe why they won’t last.

dyna-ti

For frying, eggs, bacon, sausage I prefer the cheap disposable non stick asda special. Because they always get scratched and buying an expensive one is just a waste, especially if it goes in the dishwasher.
    I have one reasonable non stick for steak, metal handled to go from hob to oven. Pots are potrs, and just a range of sizes is about as tech as it gets.
    Im sure there are others here have worked on kitchens/hotels/restaurants will tell you that pro stuff is mostly in pot form cast alloy, and pans are stainless non stick, which cost under a tenner a go. We still have some of my mothers pots, in cast alloy she got as a wedding present, over 50 years ago, and they still get used for stocks and soups.
    Same with knives. They have single knives costing near £100, and yet in every professional butchers hand is a victorinox boning knife costing £8, the steak knife is about £15 now(used to be a fiver and a tenner)

Sandwich

10 quid aldi jobs.

Don’t knock cheap pans. I bought 2 sets of Kitchen Devil jobs from Tesco in the 90’s. £60 for 6 saucepans in stainless steel

They are still going strong despite herself trying her best to burn the bottoms out by setting the gas to max and leaving it there for spuds that are at a boil!

giant_scum
    Free Member

Costco’s Kirkland stainless steel pans would most likely fit the bill. I have them perfect on the induction hob.
    When we bought them you got 2 saucepans, 2 frying pans, a casserole style pan (currently in use slow cooking pork in the oven), a stock pot and a saute pan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For the vanishingly small number of people who care.

I went for a cusine pro set from house.co.uk their reviews and pricing structure seem like they are the on-one customer services version of the pan world….

Solid feeling pans though 5mm aluminium sandwich impact bonded heavy pans suitable for oven and dishwasher with glass lids (nisbets had nothing to fit that …all had tin lids) and the Kirkland’s were not dishwasher safe.-aluminium rivets

Got set of 3 pans -steamer – large casserole dish with lid and a frying pan that the same lid fits …100 quid all told.

Cougar

Uh, house.co.uk is British Gas is it not?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Extra set of UK’s in there houseuk.com

frankconway

Somewhere up there ^^^ someone posted that ‘…Le Creuset cast iron pots would survive a nuclear holocaust’.
    I agree.
    Doesn’t really answer your question.

breadcrumb

I bought some Judge pans about ten years ago, still going strong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just don’t drop em on the concrete floor

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Really boring Friday night kitchen pots and pans thread.’ is closed to new replies.