• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Re-painting a frame-Is it worth it?
  • tjball46
    Free Member

hello,
    Thinking of re-painting my frame.
    I have to pay for a company to strip it, and then paint it, because I dont have the space at home.
    I cant decide wether to powder coat or anodize, but want it in lime green!

Any Advice?!
    Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

worth it from what point of view?

I'd go for powder coating as its tough. Reasonably cheap as well.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can anodise in loads of colours (practically any). Ano will be relatively easier to scratch through than powdercoating, and probably a damn sight more expensive.

Worth it – only you know that, if its a frame that works and you like it then it tidies it up nicely for a few more years. If you dont like it then no, its not worth it, buy another :d

'course if its a light alu frame and its been hammered it might be nearing the end of its useful life, but thats again only something you can determine.

Northwind

Powdercoating is very durable and cheaper than you think. Just get it done by a decent coaters unless you like cleaning the coating out of threads. "worth it" as they say depends on the frame and what it's worth to you but it's not a big investment.

tjball46
    Free Member

Its a commencal meta 5.5 07, still in really good nick, as you would expect.
    Thanks for your feedback. The man who may well be anodizing said it is really hard wearing, and lighter..but I was looking to see if the process is worth it all and the finish will be durable…

john_drummer
    Free Member

but want it in lime green!

I thought you were going to say "it's a Kawasaki"

Friend of mine had an Orange P7 with a tiger-stripe paint job – that was well nice

scaredypants

If you're keeping it, maybe

I wouldn't buy a repainted frame – would wonder what was hidden beneath

Mugboo

just had a set of audi 17" alloys powder coated at Cac Coatings nr Bradford

£17 per wheel for non mettalics, i paid £103 for all 4 in a met grey and they look like new.

I've used Triple S in Bingley as well and they were £80 for a met black.

tjball46
    Free Member

Im not interested in selling it, I'll keep it until it breaks.
    And yes-Lime green, have white wheels and other little bits, and red brake hoses, couldnt think of a better colour to go with…

Wally

£50 Frame and rigid forks powder coated, is what I said "yes" to yesterday.
    Chose colour from a chart – matched the "farrow and ball" colour very well. F&B – Thats wife's for you.

tthew

A lime green Commencal? c'mon, admit it, you really wanted a Super 4 didn't you?

Resin42
    Free Member

Been kicking around the idea of getting my frame powder coated, anyone got a recommendation for someone in the Glasgow or central Scotland area?

tjball46
    Free Member

tthew- Very nice!

or do i go for a blue? 😆

ken_shields
    Free Member

If you're going to get it anodising then get it hard anodised

I'd go for powder coating

alexxx
    Free Member

hard anodised on a ball blasted metal like the santa cruz black ano

jonb
    Free Member

My powder coater just asked me to clean my frame, but not to worry too much about it. Got it stripped and repainted for £50 with a special finish. It was <£40 for a standard gloss colour. Well worth it IMO, gave the frame a new lease of life, much cheaper than a new one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Re-painting a frame-Is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.