Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Any Plasterers Looking for Some Work?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Need part of my bathroom, a bedroom and part of a hallway skimmed, some over artex.
    Probably about 5 days work.
    I'm based in West Wales – if anyone is interested please email me.
    Accomodation available and I'll show you round Brechfa 🙂

duckman

Over artex,hell on earth. was/am a plasterer during hols but thankfully not now.Make sure it gets a coat of pva over a good scrape.If you offer to do this yourself you may save a quid or two.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers, any company/tradesman recommendations?

duckman

Not in Wales I am afraid.Doesn't sound like 5 days mind.

hitman
    Free Member

Not in Wales I am afraid.Doesn't sound like 5 days mind.

how long do you think?

daveells
    Free Member

1 day bathroom,1 day bedroom,1 day hallway,2 days riding 😆

hitman
    Free Member

1 day bathroom,1 day bedroom,1 day hallway,2 days riding

daveells – are you a plasterer? If so I'll pay you £150 a day plus travel expenses, plus your materials on top, and I'll pay you £50 per day for your two days of riding, if you take on the job

daveells
    Free Member

I am ,I would like to,but I am really busy and its is a bit too far for me to come (two and a half hour drive).Can't you find a local tradesman?

hitman
    Free Member

Its difficult to find someone willing to quote a reasonable price here who's available
    I would gladly pay your travel expenses and offer you free accomodation at my house whilst you did the job & whilst you're down here I could show you Brechfa and as I said I'm prepared to pay for two days riding at £50 a day also – not a bad offer 🙂
    I could email you some pics of what I need doing plus dimensions of spaces involved

duckman

Hitman,I am a teacher who also marks higher papers for the sqa.I have my own young family,and have commitments to the DoE all summer.Try and get a firm with the words "and son" on the side of the van.

hitman
    Free Member

duckman, if I send you some details about the job would you be able to give me a reasonably accurate estimate of how much it should cost to do if I go to a company, as some of the prices I've been quoted here seem outrageous

duckman

In theory,I will let you know how long it should take and the process involved.I only do ahem, jobs for free (cough) I haven't been full time for seven years and my prices reflect that.Pics would also be useful as there is artex and artex if you know what I mean. rsdonald50@hotmail.com

Plastering is a crap job to learn,and serve your time in properly(4 years apprenticeship),there are few plasterers compared to joiners,painters etc.

hitman
    Free Member

Cheers, I will email you

Resin42
    Free Member

I'd have been sorely tempted by this if it wasn't for me being in Glasgow. I've not had regular work for weeks.

When I was kid my dad made a pretty decent living putting artex onto walls and I've made a good few quid in the past covering it up again. God bless fickle interior design. 🙂

duckman

Resin,I though things had picked up? The guy I do work for has been steady enough to take on the two trowels he got rid of last winter.

Resin42
    Free Member

It's been a bit up and down. Got a start two months ago only to get let go two weeks later. They'd had a couple of contracts fall through and they let us go so they could move their Hungarian squad onto our job. Lovely eh? Maybe Gordon Brown will think I'm just being a bigot though.

Getting enough bits and pieces to pay the rent and feed my bike bits habit though. Mustn't grumble.

RustyMac

@ Resin42

I am going to be looking for a plasterer in Aberdeen fairly shortly. Had a local guy round last nigh and getting a quote from him next week. The room is a bit of a state, have been recomended to rip down celing and put up plaser board and the walls will need coated in PVA prior to skimming.

If this intrests you more being a little closer my email is in my profile

Cheers

Rusty

Resin42
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer mate but I couldn't contemplate sheeting a ceiling with my shoulder acting up like it is at the moment. Plastering's fine but holding a dead weight above my head would kill me at the moment.

duckman

Resin,up here in Dundee they were playing the game with the eastern guys for a while,but they are crap.Before tj comes to get me,I worked with maybe 100 eastern block guys and they did not have the same skill as our brickies,joiners etc.Guess that makes me a bigot?

Resin42
    Free Member

To be fair I know a lot of Polish roughcasters who are fantastic at what they do but I'm yet to meet meet a Polish plasterer who I'd see in my way.

Personally I tend not get all "coming over here, taking our jobs" as a rule, my dad's generation did it in Germany in the 80s. That one stuck in my throat a fair bit though and not the first time it's happened. Best thing that could happen is level the playing field, force companies to pay the same to all workers doing the same job. Difficult to police mind you.

Anyway, in true STW style I'm seriously diverting the thread here, apologies to the OP 🙂

duckman

Actually I will give you the roughcasters.I last worked full time(for somebody else)6 yo.When I left I was getting £14 an hour.The company replaced me with a Polish guy earning £6.No competition is there.I was one of the wave of Scots who hit London in the late 80's so I know what it is like to go to a foriegn country and take the jobs. 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bish bosh loadsa dosh!

Artex is the Work of Satan…

Resin42
    Free Member

Artex is the Work of Satan…

Oh, you've met my dad?

trademark
    Free Member

Hitman, let me know if you still need a plasterer.

hitman
    Free Member

Hitman, let me know if you still need a plasterer.

yep, still looking – can you recommend someone?

trademark
    Free Member

Hitman, I have emailed you.

duckman

Hope this works out…

hitman
    Free Member

duckman, I emailed you some pics of the job – did you get them?

duckman

Yup,had a quick look,I will study them tonight and get back in touch to your email

hitman
    Free Member

cheers

trademark
    Free Member

Do you still need a plasterer?

hitman
    Free Member

yes

trademark
    Free Member

Send me your number and I'll give it to the plasterer.

Cheers.

hitman
    Free Member

trademark ygm

Taff
    Free Member

You near lampeter then? I know of some around there if trademark can't help

hitman
    Free Member

taff – further west but not far so I'll see what happens with trademark and get back to you if it doesn't work out- cheers

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Any Plasterers Looking for Some Work?’ is closed to new replies.