Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Rare? Getting rarer.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My fave pub meal has been ruined! Went for lunch yesterday at the mighty, mighty, Malet Arms in Newton Toney.

Been eating Malet burgers for years, always rare, as Noel (The landlord/chef) really knows his meat and really cares about the quality of his signature dish. He’s now been told by environmental health types that he’s not allowed to serve it rare any more. In all the years I’ve eaten there, I’ve never heard so much as a peep of anyone getting food poisoning, let alone catching death or something.

Surely if a pub/restaurant can prove the quality of their meat and overall hygiene etc, I should be able to order it raw if I want to. Grrr.

Had the belly pork instead in a fit of rage. Was excellent.

dawson

#firstworldproblems

😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Always a shame when one of your favourite places changes in some way.

Rather surprised that you can’t have something rare though – no problem with having the ribeye rare in the Red Lion last night (another excellent meal there), and steak tartare is available on the continent…

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, too many jobworths are just trying to prevent other hard working people to earn a living I guess they want to tell him how to cook now … 🙄

Nanny state …

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

no problem with having the ribeye rare in the Red Lion last night (another excellent meal there),

Something to do with it being made from minced/prepared meat, rather than steak.
    Interesting to see what Upham do with the other place, though!

Jamie
    Free Member

Something to do with it being made from minced/prepared meat, rather than steak.

It’s a pretty valid reason.

http://www.finecooking.com/item/36325/steak-vs-hamburger

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is something about ground meat and preparing rare I seem to remember. There have been some cases abroad where people have had severe cases of some grizzly strain of food poisoning and maybe even a few deaths from it, and it was traced back to rare minced beef, so rare steaks OK, but not burgers. When travelling with work over the past couple of years on occasion i’ve either been refused a rare burger or in one particular restaurant, had to sign a disclaimer saying if I died from their burger then its nothing to do with the restaurant. I’ve been ok so far. Never heard of this in the UK though.

That’s Steak Tartare off the menu then.

Kryton57

More Eurobollocks.

JulianA
    Free Member

Ok, I get the difference now. Shame.

Just figured out your last comment and learned something new – thanks! Looks like great news. About time something good happened there.

JulianA
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    More EuroBritobollocks.

Fixed that for you – seen steak tartare on the continent within the last year…

Jamie
    Free Member

More Eurobollocks.

Easy, Farage.

Northwind

His speciality is a burger? Is he Ronald Macdonald?

peteimpreza

It’s not Eurobollox, steak tartare and rare burgers are widely available in France.

Moses

See Julian’s comment – I’ve eaten Steak Tartare in both Belgium & NL in the last year or so – this is Britbollox, nothing to do with Europe.

ton

Flasheart/ Burger!!!!!

my fashion/icon hero eats burgers……..my dreams are shattered… 😥

Kryton57

I have nothing against Europeans per say, just being told by a bunch of people in Europe – or Westminster for that matter – what I can and can’t do. Yes there is a question of things being culturally appropriate or within the law, but a rare burger? Ffs, ok so make people aware of any health issues, but banning its is ridiculous. It’s not like smoking is it, whereas I eat it and it affects anyone ales health around me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ton, it’s more steak haché than a “normal” burger! 🙂

Northwind, the Malet Burger has been on the menu for years, and rightly so! He also does excellent venison, as he’s involved with managing the deer on one of the local estates. Beer is always top notch as well!

ste_t
    Free Member

It is for food safety reasons.

Due to a stringent supply chain, if you eat at my restaurant you can have your burger mid-rare if you ask for it. No matter how much you beg, can’t be rare though.

I will never haver a burger anywhere they have too cook it through.

ton

Beer is always top notch as well!

i bet you drink carling really…….. 🙁

wallop

It’s not Eurobollox, steak tartare and rare burgers are widely available in France.

But the French love to stick their fingers up to all the Eurorules!

I must admit, I’ve always loved my steak very rare – “pull its horns out and wipe its ass!” I always say. But a rare burger has never sat right with me. A bit pink is no problem, but not really rare, no thanks.

onehundredthidiot

How about having steak tartare well done?

Speshpaul

“More Eurobollocks. “
    yeap that’s burgers for you

Kryton57

But the French love to stick their fingers up to all the Eurorules!

Not just France. It’s easy to go to a lot of places to notice very quickly the standards aren’t up to the uk’s interpretation of euro mp madness. Maybe our govermenr feels obliged to enforce it based on the massive contribution (?) we pay.

Northwind

Kryton57 – Member

Not just France. It’s easy to go to a lot of places to notice very quickly the standards aren’t up to the uk’s interpretation of euro mp madness. Maybe our govermenr feels obliged to enforce it based on the massive contribution (?) we pay.

Or maybe it’s just nothing to do with the EU? Quick googling around suggests that it’s 100% homegrown

RustySpanner

Kryton,

Or maybe it’s just nothing to do with the EU? Quick googling around suggests that it’s 100% homegrown

It has cock-all to do with Europe.
    It’s down to individual councils.

Andy_B

My local pub implemented this rule months ago. They reckon it started in France and a few Frenchies spoken to have validated it.

Kryton57

Yes I acknowleged that a few posts above, Rusty.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve eaten steak tartar in scotland, it must be Anglobollox

Andy_B

The councils are enforcing the rules hence the random implementation country wide. My local council can’t be trusted to empty bins but are ahead of the game on stopping qualified chefs from doing what they’re trained to do.

eskay

I’ve eaten steak tartar in scotland, it must be Anglobollox

Sorry to disappoint Josh McJock but I had it in Bristol last Saturday. 😀

wallop

Oooh, where was that then?

slowoldman

Well if Steak Tartare is still available just order it in a bun.

CountZero

The Malet Arms is a new pub to me, but I don’t know the southern part of the county that well; I’ll have to check it out.
    Looks like a nice place. 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    I have nothing against Europeans per say,

“Per say” you say? Bit like per se mebbies?

tinribz
    Free Member

Rare meat is tasteless. What next, raw potatoes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rare meat is tasteless.

Er, no.

CZ, it’s well worth a trip. Cracking food, excellent beer.

tomhoward

Have a quiet word for future visits? Maybe a coded nod/wink/handshake to indicate your preference?

Bregante

tomhoward – Member
    Have a quiet word for future visits? Maybe a coded nod/wink/handshake to indicate your preference?

andyl
    Free Member

I eat steak rare but won’t eat tartar or have rare burgers. Treat the outside of a steak as contaminated and give it a flash in the pan (or chemically cook it) but once you mince it or dice it then you transfer what’s on the outside to the inside. Hence why I won’t touch tartar but I believe you are supposed to prepare it with quite strict hygiene, more than at your normal butchers producing mince.

eskay

wallop – Member

Oooh, where was that then?

Cote Brasserie in Clifton.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Rare? Getting rarer.’ is closed to new replies.