Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Rape
  • kudos100
    Free Member

IMO Cougars post sums it up pretty well and leading on from this:

Is hanging around with a bunch of people who wear badges saying ‘I heart rape’ and condoning this behaviour more likely to lead a women to possibly get raped? Yes.

Again, is dressing up in skimpy clothing, acting provocatively and getting hammered drunk in a dodgy part of town, more likely to lead a women to possibly get raped? Again sadly, yes.

No fault of anyone but the perpetrator, but the risk of said event happening is higher.

Increased risk of an event happening does not equate to a percentage of blame being passed onto the victim.

If I go skydiving without a parachute, knowing that I will die not wearing one, is it my fault? Yes, as A+B=C, no perpetrator or law (apart from gravity) involved.

bob_summers

What Kudos said.

Ever had a non-fault accident, on the bike or otherwise? The blame lies entirely with the other party but you still feel that if your road positioning had been better, it wouldn’t have happened. It’s still wrong, but I guess that’s what CH was getting at?

thefettler
    Free Member

OK ,boy meets girl at a party, both are drunk have they have sex and the next day she changes her mind and says I didn’t give consent because of alcohol .
    is that rape ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member
    Again, is dressing up in skimpy clothing, acting provocatively and getting hammered drunk in a dodgy part of town, more likely to lead a women to possibly get raped? Again sadly, yes.

Is it really though? Any stats? Aren’t the majority of rapes NOT in circumstances like that?

In any event, statements like this run the risk of being victim blaming, and take focus away from the crime itself.

Cougar

I guess that’s what CH was getting at?

Quite often these stories come about due to distortion in the reporting (again, see the Corbyn / trains drivel), but I think in this particular case she’s just flat out wrong. Paraphrasing what she said but, “I was drunk and in my underwear, who else can I blame but myself” is just faulty thinking. It really is that simple. And if she’s blaming herself for an attack, pretty tragic also.

peterfile
    Free Member

OK ,boy meets girl at a party, both are drunk have they have sex and the next day she changes her mind and says I didn’t give consent because of alcohol .
    is that rape ?

eh?

The only possible way to rape someone is to have sex without their consent (save for statutory rape).

If you had their consent and they then withdraw it, you must stop at that point otherwise you are now raping that person. All action until that point is legal.

If you had consent when you actually had sex with them, then they withdraw their consent the next day then it cannot possibly be rape

DaRC_L

is that rape ?

Unfortunately yes, just ask Craig Charles.
    Be careful where you put your Wheaton’s Law is the rule –
    and we taught this mantra to our lad when he was under 16 and feeling horny…”statutory rape”

ninfan
    Free Member

I think that’s where it gets complex fettler, rape can encompass a very wide set of circumstances

While a woman’s behaviour could never be regarded as ‘inviting’ or ‘justifying’ rape, there are certainly situations where a woman’s behaviour could lead to the existence or denial of consent being far from a clear cut issue.

Cougar

If you had consent when you actually had sex with them, then they withdraw their consent the next day then it cannot possibly be rape

The argument against that logic is, was she too drunk to reliably give consent?

Is it fine to ply a girl with drinks all night, to lower her inhibitions with the end goal of some horizontal jogging later?

How about just a couple of drinks? Or conversely, how about Rohypnol?

Thorny issue you’ve got there with your “cannot possibly” I’m afraid. At what point does “morning remorse” cross the line into “hey, you raped me”?

thefettler
    Free Member

The argument against that logic is, was she “too drunk to reliably give consent”?
    Thank cougar that’s the point I was trying to make

peterfile
    Free Member

The argument against that logic is, was she too drunk to reliably give consent?

The test is that, regardless of the amount of alcohol consumed, she was capable of making the decision at the time.

Entirely subjective and difficult to establish.

It’s possible to be completely capable of giving consent at the time and then not even remember it the next day, such is the nature of alcohol.

Equally, someone could have a few drinks and due to intolerance be lacking in the ability to give consent quite quickly. You would hope that this would be quite obvious and most men would take this as a sign to not progress any further – however obviously this is not always the case.

kudos100
    Free Member

Is it really though? Any stats? Aren’t the majority of rapes NOT in circumstances like that?

In any event, statements like this run the risk of being victim blaming, and take focus away from the crime itself.

Did you bother to read the whole of my post or just chose to read one sentence?

Let me spell it out for you:

Possible increased risk of a crime happening does not equate to any percentage of ‘blame’ being passed onto the victim.

Just like leaving your phone on the bar increases the risk of it possibly being stolen, rather than being in your pocket. Fault is 100% with the thief/rapist/person who committed the crime.

Cougar

You would hope that this would be quite obvious and most men would take this as a sign to not progress any further – however obviously this is not always the case.

To be honest, that’s probably a better yardstick of guilt. Did the bloke think “she’s a bit drunk, I’d best back off” or did he think “she’s a bit drunk, fantastic!”?

nickc

OK ,boy meets girl at a party, both are drunk have they have sex and the next day she changes her mind and says I didn’t give consent because of alcohol
    is that rape ?

Yes it is, drunk people can’t give consent. The answer to “come back to mine” is:

“No, your drunk, I’ll get you home, call me when you wake up with that banging hangover and we’ll have breakfast”

cynic-al
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member
    Did you bother to read the whole of my post or just chose to read one sentence?

I did, seems you didn’t read mine at all.

Cougar

Regardless, that’s a non sequitur. The majority of eye injuries aren’t from spoons*, but jamming a teaspoon in my face is significantly likely to increase the risk of a cutlery-related ocular incident.

(* – I imagine, I’ve not actually looked it up. Shoddy posting, I know.)

peterfile
    Free Member

Yes it is, drunk people can’t give consent. The answer to “come back to mine” is:

This is incorrect (from a legal perspective anyway), although I agree it’s different from a moral one.

Drunk people are capable of giving consent (otherwise, amongst other quirks, it would be difficult for them to legally become intoxicated in the first place).

rene59
    Free Member

Another scenario. Husband and wife, married a long time. Wife is in bed sober, husband comes home drunk, gets into bed. Wife initiates sex. Man is initially reluctant but he goes with it, he goes for the wrong hole. Wife asks him to stop but he doesn’t straight away, she had to ask twice again and push him away. He has hurt her. Wife get’s out of bed and goes to a friends to stay.

After discussion with friend, the next morning she reports husband to police for rape. He is arrested and charged with rape.

The husband has almost zero recollection of the incident.

scotroutes

This is incorrect (from a legal perspective anyway), although I agree it’s different from a moral one.
    Drunk people are capable of giving consent (otherwise, amongst other quirks, it would be difficult for them to legally become intoxicated in the first place).
    [/quote]I was a juror at a rape trial (in Scotland) where it was quite clearly stated, by the judge, that a drunk person cannot be considered to have consented.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like to make up increasingly complicated and unlikely situations in these threads too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pretty girl: Licking an ice cream.

Pervy bloke: “Hey baby, what else can you lick?”

Pretty girl: “Your blood off my fingers after I’ve sacrificed you to Satan”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Also, interestingly from the point of view of the effect self-blame has on it’s victim, Chrissie always used to refer to her all-male band as girls, as in (before starting a song) “You ready, girls?”. Odd.

nickc

sorry peterfile, I wasn’t trying to provide a legal perspective. “I’m not a lawyer” etc etc

I was just suggesting a course of action that involves no rape… 😕

outofbreath
    Free Member

[Quote]was a juror at a rape trial (in Scotland) where it was quite clearly stated, by the judge, that a drunk person cannot be considered to have consented.[/quote]

Which raises the question: If two lesbian women are drunk and have sex are both guilty of rape?

BigDummy
    Free Member

a drunk person cannot be considered to have consented

Couple of things:

– there are degrees of drunk – my wife says I’m drunk long before I lose the ability to make decisions in law. It isn’t (AFAIK) a blood alcohol concentration measure, it’s a “did I know what was happening?” measure.

– in the UK at least, if A reasonably believes that B consents then A isn’t raping B when B is drunk, as long as it isn’t unreasonable for A to think everything is OK. But A doesn’t get to think it’s OK because A is too drunk to judge it right.

So if B is a habitual drinker who is probably going to be blacking out but hasn’t lost the ability to form sentences, and A is a bit too pissed to realise that that’s the scenario, A can end up, entirely without meaning to, having sex with someone who he’s slightly too pissed to realise is far too pissed to consent. There’s no doubt that’s a rape in the UK, if it becomes a police matter. It’s a moderately common sort of sex.

[edits for clarity]

mark90
    Free Member

consent, it’s like making a cup of tea…

I always like a cup of tea. Usually end up making it myself though.

Just like leaving your phone on the bar increases the risk of it possibly being stolen, rather than being in your pocket. Fault is 100% with the thief/rapist/person who committed the crime.

Try explaining that to your insurance company, who could argue you hadn’t taken sufficient care of the phone and had ‘invited’ the crime to take place.

Cougar

Try explaining that to your insurance company

I believe this falls under “false authority syndrome.” To wit, insurance companies are not lawyers, they are bastards.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

OK ,boy meets girl at a party, both are drunk have they have sex and the next day she changes her mind and says I didn’t give consent because of alcohol
    is that rape ?

“No, your drunk, I’ll get you home, call me when you wake up with that banging hangover and we’ll have breakfast”

Serious question . How would that work from a legal perspective if they were both drunk surely neither would be able to give consent or does it assume that because the male has achieved an erection he has given consent ?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

ninfan
    Free Member

Which raises the question: If two lesbian women are drunk and have sex are both guilty of rape?

Nope, as rape can only be committed by a person with their own penis

A strange lacuna within the law that women don’t seem to be up in arms at getting overturned in the name of equal rights.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Ok, substitute gay men.

scandal42
    Free Member

Serious question . How would that work from a legal perspective if they were both drunk surely neither would be able to give consent or does it assume that because the male has achieved an erection he has given consent ?

I was wondering similar.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ok, substitute gay men.

Arguably, yes, they could be, because drunkenness is no defence.

However they may have a defence that they ‘reasonably believed’ they had consent, under the rules of it being goddamned common courtesy to return the favour.

outofbreath
    Free Member

How would that work from a legal perspective if they were both drunk surely neither would be able to give consent or does it assume that because the male has achieved an erection he has given consent ?

The Ched Evans case suggests that assumption is made. The girl had no recollection if she had consented or not. AFAIK CHed Evans was also drunk. On that basis the jury decided that a) it was rape and b) the male drunk person was the culprit and not the victim.

moose
    Free Member

Which is why in the case of teachers bonking students, female teachers get charged with indecent/sexual assault, the men; statutory rape.

peterfile
    Free Member

I was a juror at a rape trial (in Scotland) where it was quite clearly stated, by the judge, that a drunk person cannot be considered to have consented.

It’s not that clear cut though.

Define drunk.

If I take a girl out for one drink and then we sleep together, is she deemed to be incapable of consent and I have raped her?

What about 3 drinks?

What about 10 drinks?

At what point is she “drunk”. At what point did her level of drunkenness affect her ability to give consent? The law doesn’t try to tell us. It’s completely subjective. A court will make that decision based on all available evidence.

The law (in Scotland) says:

is incapable of consenting because of the effect of alcohol or any other
    substance

The test is “incapable of consenting”, because of the effect of alcohol. It is possible to be under the effects of alcohol and capable of consent. It must be this way otherwise we would all lose the legal ability to consent after a beer.

In England (and Scotland too I’m sure) the court will look at all circumstances surrounding the event to try to establish whether the level of drunkenness was sufficient that they were incapable of consent.

natrix
    Free Member

If two lesbian women are drunk and have sex are both guilty of rape?

Hmmm, I’m going to have to think about that, (for quite a while) 8)

mogrim

In England (and Scotland too I’m sure) the court will look at all circumstances surrounding the event to try to establish whether the level of drunkenness was sufficient that they were incapable of consent.

This is basically what I was trying to point out earlier – it’s not always 100% clear cut, and to say the victim is 100% blameless is not IMO correct.

kudos100
    Free Member

https://www.rt.com/news/hairdresser-turns-robber-into-sex-slave/

Not highly probable, but it is possible……..

ianfitz
    Free Member

Consent. It’s really very simple as this video shows.

http://magazine.good.is/articles/tea-never-looked-so-good

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Rape’ is closed to new replies.