Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rainwater diverter for metal down pipe into water butt…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Totally OT and very boring… In my on-going attempts to stop the increasing damp in my back wall, I have just nipped out and bought a rain water butt and a diverter kit (looks a bit like this one).

The butt (snigger) would fill from a cast iron downpipe between which currently just spews rainwater onto the neighbours flagstones. I fear the water then just seeps into our house making it very damp, thus the butt.

Nothing’s ever easy though, and the drainpipe will need to be twisted out of place to fit the diverter. Sadly for me, the drainpipe is locked into place by a good few ancient, rusty brackets which are also messily concreted into place and almost a part of the render. Moving the drainpipe would certainly make a bit of a mess of the neighbour’s wall and render.

The fitting diagrams show the cut, lower section of the downpipe sliding neatly downwards to allow the diverter to slide on, easy as pie, but that’s obviously not going to happen here – I wondered if I could cut an extra few inches out of the down pipe and then fill with plastic piping? It would look awful, and perhaps be a bit leaky, but would solve my immediate problem…

On another note, will my hacksaw get through the cast iron pipe?!

Any thoughts very welcome…

user-removed
    Free Member

Here’s a quick snap. I don’t really expect any answers here, but it’s helping me to write it all down somewhere…

geoffj

How about putting a grid and soak away into your neighbour’s garden?

aP
    Free Member

Have you spoken to your neighbours about this? I think it’d be a good idea before you start messing around with their property. You never know you might come up with a solution the solves it permanently.

user-removed
    Free Member

Geoffj – I have considered that, but this seemed to be the easiest option.

aP – yes I have spoken to the neighbour and she’s adamant that they haven’t got any damp at all, so is utterly disinterested in the whole thing. Needless to say I haven’t just started chopping up the down pipe (which is actually straight down the middle of the two houses). Haven’t been able to crack on with it as she’s not in today.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rainwater diverter for metal down pipe into water butt…’ is closed to new replies.